• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Palm Tac Rifle...anyone have an opinion?

BIPMaster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
Arkansas
US Palm Tac Rifle .308
Anyone have an opinion on this particular rifle? They will have it for &850 during Black Friday, and it looks pretty attractive. I have been looking at getting a Remington 700 AAC, but since this one comes with a McMillan stock for a couple hundred more I am thinking about picking it up. Thoughts?

Re: US Palm Tac Rifle...anyone have an opinion?

Got an email back from SGC. The rifle has a dteachable box magazine, and the action is made by FN. Barrels are built in house.

Cant vouch for the rifle but I can make some assumptions.

Worst case scenario you get it and it dosnt shoot, send it to a smith and have them replace barrel and bed it and you will have an outstanding rifle with great components for a little less than if you started wih a rem700.

So I think for the black friday price its worth it for the stock, action, trigger and DBM. If it shoots well then thats a bonus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cant vouch for the rifle but I can make some assumptions.

Worst case scenario you get it and it dosnt shoot, send it to a smith and have them replace barrel and bed it and you will have an outstanding rifle with great components for a little less than if you started wih a rem700.

So I think for the black friday price its worth it for the stock, action, trigger and DBM. If it shoots well then thats a bonus. </div></div>

If it shoots MOA then that will be sufficient for me. I already have a long range bolt action in the works. For no more than 500m shots I think this would be a perfect rifle.

Could be another decent option for under a grand.

looks good hard to pass up for a grand even if you have to spend 500 on a rebarrel your still not doing to bad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So its just a FN SPR for cheaper? </div></div>

FN action with the bbl. made by SGC. Similar I guess.

I've held the rifle 2 times. It's like a slapped together A1a made by US Palm who is local to Phoenix. Actual FN SPR DBM action, 20" unmarked threaded bbl, A3 stock with no bedding or pillars. SGC sales rep couldn't confim barrel make. Called US Palm twice to ask -- they took my info & never called back. They also sell the SPR action outright for $300. Feels solid & would be a great option over any Rem SPS, FN PBR/TSR, etc.

Hamstur,

Where on the website did you see the SPR action for $300, I looked and could not find it.

Thanks

wade

Looks nice...I noticed it's a 12 twist.
Will that stabilize 175's (and heavier), or does that limit it to 168's?

Iam also int. in an FN spr/pbr action w/tgr for $300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's not a mcmillian stock...it's an in house stock...so no clue on the build quality of it</div></div>

The ad states it's a McMillan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's not a mcmillian stock...it's an in house stock...so no clue on the build quality of it </div></div>

Its most definitely a McMillan A3

It's not on their website. I live miles from SGC Peoria and the guys behind the counter said they will sell just the action because they bought a bunch for the US Palm custom build.

This was months ago when the US Palm Tac 308 was first out & not even on their website. I can run up the street this weekend to ask and let you know if they will still sell the actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's not a mcmillian stock...it's an in house stock...so no clue on the build quality of it </div></div>

Its most definitely a McMillan A3 </div></div>

Yes. It is for certain a McM A3.

Hamstur,

It would be great if you could run up and check if they still have the actions for $300 as that is a great price.

I just bought one of these rifles. $850 with free shipping is too good of a deal to pass up considering you get the A3.
Anyone else have any info about these guns?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i see it says that, but then i see this
http://sgcusa.com/us-palm-stock-a3-dbm.html </div></div>

Maybe they bought a overrun special from McM and were able to buy at that price. But at the end of the day both of those are still McMillan A3s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i see it says that, but then i see this
http://sgcusa.com/us-palm-stock-a3-dbm.html </div></div>

Maybe they bought a overrun special from McM and were able to buy at that price. But at the end of the day both of those are still McMillan A3s </div></div>

I called them about getting one of these and the guy said they shouldn't even be on the website. They might be an overrun, but basically they come as is (what that is, I don't know?), and anything you want done to it would be done at an additional price. They told me I was better of getting one from MCM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBlue&Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I called them about getting one of these and the guy said they shouldn't even be on the website. They might be an overrun, but basically they come as is (what that is, I don't know?), and anything you want done to it would be done at an additional price. They told me I was better of getting one from MCM. </div></div>

Crap. Should have asked them about the action too! Now I have to run downstairs to kick you!

The Peoria branch is closed Mon-Tue. I'll see if I can run by tomorrow to talk to the guys I know in person. I hate dealing with the run-around game over the phone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBlue&Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I called them about getting one of these and the guy said they shouldn't even be on the website. They might be an overrun, but basically they come as is (what that is, I don't know?), and anything you want done to it would be done at an additional price. They told me I was better of getting one from MCM. </div></div>

Crap. Should have asked them about the action too! Now I have to run downstairs to kick you!

The Peoria branch is closed Mon-Tue. I'll see if I can run by tomorrow to talk to the guys I know in person. I hate dealing with the run-around game over the phone. </div></div>

I called them like a month ago.

Sorry it took so long to drag myself out to SGC ... they are sitting at $400 and have 9 left.

I asked again about the barrel. The rep there said he has been trying to find out himself but nobody will seem to provide any info. Says he heard the barrels may be made in-house because he said for sure the barrels are threaded & crowned in-house.

Interesting and for the price it is seriously hard to beat!

I called SGC a couple of weeks ago and was told they are not DBM. Can anyone confirm whether the ones currently shipping are DBM?

I also called US Palm asking about the barrels--the guy on the phone wasn't familiar with it, but went to check with someone else. What I was told is "Danning Armory"--anyone familiar with them?

It is a dbm. Also the rifle is stamped 1:10 not 1:12

Well first range report is in. And this rifle has some problems. After firing a round the case will get stuck in the chamber. I would have to yank on the bolt handle as hard as I could before the case came out. The cases were deformed. I have contacted SGC awaiting there response.

15f9274f.jpg

Yes sir it is a groove. Happened on all four cases. I am not really sure what is wrong with the gun. Hopefully SGC will make it right.

Rather disappointed by the customer service of SGC. I was informed today by there gunsmith that I would have to pay for the return shipping so they could fix the gun. I find this crazy considering it is a brand new gun with five rounds fired through it.

I doubt I will be buying anything from this company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigyellow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rather disappointed by the customer service of SGC. I was informed today by there gunsmith that I would have to pay for the return shipping so they could fix the gun. I find this crazy considering it is a brand new gun with five rounds fired through it.

I doubt I will be buying anything from this company. </div></div>

That sucks. Makes me glad I saved my pennies for something else. Let us know how it turns out.

Any updates on whether SGC stood behind their product?

They ended up offering me a full refund or a new rifle. I opted for the refund.

Did they offer to cover return shipping for a new rifle, or would you have been stuck with that expense?

Would have had to pay another transfer fee. So I am out 40 dollars right now for a defective gun that wasn't my fault. I can honestly say I was disappointed in their lack of care for the customer when I did nothing wrong.

I am good friends with the lead gunsmith at SGC. He asked me to make it clear that these rifles were not built there, or buy him. They were sent out to a third party, then sold through them.

He does good work, and I have serveral rifles and a 1911 bult by him.

Thanks,

Mike

I talked to the head gunsmith and he told me that they put the guns together and purchased the barrels from a third party in Florida.
I returned the the gun and honestly can say it is a bad product priced cheap because it is low quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigyellow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I talked to the head gunsmith and he told me that they put the guns together and purchased the barrels from a third party in Florida.
I returned the the gun and honestly can say it is a bad product priced cheap because it is low quality. </div></div>

I have a feeling that someone may have told you something inaccurate. I was at SGC on Friday, and had lunch with Marshall, the lead gunsmith. He did not build the rifle, and was commenting negatively about the abilities of the gunsmith who did.

I really have no dog in this fight. I have no affiliation with SGC, I just want to be sure my friend's reputation isn't hurt because of something the company he works for is telling people.

PM sent

I don't doubt that since I got a multitude of different answers from everybody I talked to from that company. I am just glad they gave me my money back. That rifle they are selling has problems end of story. I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that they are not quality guns.

I purchased this rifle yesterday because it was on sale for $799 from $1199. I purchased it without any knowledge of the barrel or US Palm and figured I could not go wrong because it has an A3 stock, FNH SPR action, and DBM. I did talk to US Palm today and a guy there told me the barrel is made by "Danning Armory" and that is basically all he knew. I can not find any information on Danning Armory, which I find strange. After reading this entire thread I am starting to think I made a really bad decision. I have nine days left in my awesome ten day waiting period and I am considering eating the DROS fees to exchange it for another rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dang1182</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased this rifle yesterday because it was on sale for $799 from $1199. I purchased it without any knowledge of the barrel or US Palm and figured I could not go wrong because it has an A3 stock, FNH SPR action, and DBM. I did talk to US Palm today and a guy there told me the barrel is made by "Danning Armory" and that is basically all he knew. I can not find any information on Danning Armory, which I find strange. After reading this entire thread I am starting to think I made a really bad decision. I have nine days left in my awesome ten day waiting period and I am considering eating the DROS fees to exchange it for another rifle.</div></div>

700 SPS, 700 5R, 700 LTR, any Savage 10 (standard, HS, Choate or McM), T3 Varmint/Scout, FNH PBR/TSR,etc ... if you can cancel, I would buy anything that isn't the US Palm...

From the earlier pic it looks like they were chambered by a monkey with a dull reamer LOL That said for the price I would try it and if it gives you problem have the rifle set back and rechambered by someone who knows what they are doing.

Or work it up some. You are getting a McMillan A3 stock($450), FN action(300) and bottom metal. Worst case if it doesn't shoot you rebarrel/true the action and bed it and you're out about another $800 for a total of $1600 for basically a custom rifle.

Guess that's looking at the bright side
wink.gif

Thanks for the help guys. I just got back from the store that I purchased the US PALM and I exchanged it for an LMT MRP .308 with the 1:11.25 twist 16" blackened stainless match barrel. They were cool enough to drop $50 from the LMT to make up for the the DROS plus a little extra.

I saw it on sale and thought it would go well with the FN SPR I already have. I found this thread and decided to pass.