• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US training center "blackwater"

Re: US training center "blackwater"

I'm also curious about training at Blackwater, although I believe it is called U.S. Training Center now?

Yes, BW is now called USTC.

The PR course there is excellent, but it is progressive.
Meaning that is starts off very basic.
So, if you have any previous experience you may get frustrated with how basic they start.

Norm Chandler no longer teaches there and the new cadre has a much better program IMO.
The course is updated to include more current equipment and techniques then Chandler's course was utilizing.

Just keep in mind that it is geared toward someone who has never shot a precision setup before.
If you want to work on advanced skills, take the advanced classes.

PM me if you need any specifics.

It's been a while, but I did an advanced post-Chandler course a few years ago. The basic course is solid instruction, goes to 800 yards, and has qualification standards.

Do they offer an LR course at the USTC in Otay Mesa, San Diego??

I signed up for this course in November. I am looking forward to it, I am new to long range shooting, so I figured it would be a good place to start. I would like to chat with someone who has attended.... if anyone has taken this class in the past please feel free to PM me, I have a few questions.

You could say I have spent some time there.
Dr. Phil hit it on the head when he stated that it would be progressive.
BW/ Xe was known for having for having only their classes as prerequisites for advanced classes.

They gave me a hard time about it and it worked out great for me. I was turned on to Costas/ Hailey and I never looked back.

For close quarter tactical training B/W is great. ( Kyle Defore & Aussie Jason)

For long range shooting ??? you may be better off with a Barrett class or something like that.

Either way any training is good training.
Dont forget it gets freaking cold in NC.
If your a Floridian like me, I cant be freezing my ass off and shoot 1000' yards.

Good luck, take pictures and report back-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I signed up for this course in November. I am looking forward to it, I am new to long range shooting, so I figured it would be a good place to start. I would like to chat with someone who has attended.... if anyone has taken this class in the past please feel free to PM me, I have a few questions.
</div></div>

I was actually looking at that class earlier today, if I can get the time off work I may head down for it. It sounds like a good starting point for me.

I just signed up for the class in November. I am looking forward to it.

If I was looking to take a first precision rifle class, this would be a good one? Any other recommendations for a first time precision shooter who is otherwise proficient with semi autos?

I cannot vouch for the precision rifle course but I took the tactical carbine course and was very pleased with the training, the ranges, and even the people in the lodge and the cafeteria. It was one of the most positive training experiences I have ever had

There has been a shakeup of instructors there over the last few years, Last I heard Kyle was at Tigerswann and Aussie Jason was on his own training thing through grey group. With all the bad press BW, Xe had they seemed to be going away from providing security overseas and going mostly into the Training aspect of firearms. The two shops there seemed to merge open enrollment and mil/Dos/law enforcement into one shop, The long range instructors last time I was there were some USMC scout/snipers, a Canadian Sniper, and the program was designed by some SOTIC instructors. They have ranges out to 800 and to 1200

I'm scheduled for the LE/Mil "Sniper" class from 06-10 Dec. If anyone else is attending feel free to PM me.

I took precision rifle 1. Very good introduction into precision rifle shooting.
And yes it gets cold out there.