• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USAMU Sets New 1,000-Yard Record

sinister

Rifle Pointer
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2002
Midland, Georgia
From Accurate Shooter (accurateshooter.com):
August 12th, 2013

USAMU Team Shoots Record 800-57X at 1000 Yards
usamulogox200op.png

Amazing. Spectacular. Stunning. Awe-inspiring. You choose the superlatives — but this is one team shooting performance that will long be celebrated. Competing in the Herrick Trophy 1000-yard Team Match at the Long Range National Championships, the USAMU Praslick 4-member squad turned in a performance for the ages, posting a record-breaking 800-57X score. That means that every one of the four soldiers shot a perfect 200 at 1000 yards. And the X-count was impressive as well. Recently-crowned 2013 National High Power Champion SSG Brandon Green nailed 15 Xs, as did his USAMU team-mate SGT Amanda Elsenboss. Nearly as good, SSG Ty Cooper had 14 Xs to go with his 200 score, while SSG Shane Barnhart notched 13 Xs.

The team’s combined 800-57X score is a new National Record. We commend all four shooters and their wind coach SFC Emil Praslick III. Well-done Lady and Gentlemen. This was a truly superior display of long-range marksmanship! As one fellow shooter observed at Camp Perry: “This is one record that will likely stand for a long, long time.”

teampras800x600.jpg

(The Herrick Trophy is for a 4-man team shooting "Any Rifle, Any Sights" at 1,000 yards in the NRA Long Range Championships at the National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio -- http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/nat-trophy/tro-076.pdf)

I have shot in that match at perry in the past, thats a tough place to shoot well. Emil Preslick was my coach in Ntl Trophy Infantry Team Match (Rattle Battle) one year . Congrats to them all.

Which class were they shooting, Scope, Service or Palma? Its listed on the score card but not checked off.

Last edited:
The Marines have been busy kicking ass in combat and have no time for competition, or in other words, doing a Marine's work, for a Marine's pay. When there are no war's being fought, then maybe they will get back to whooping ass on Army

I highly doubt that. The AMU guys have to take their turn in the Afghan/Iraq just like everyone else.

That's why they didn't win the International Sniper Competition last year, they were in Afghan plying their trade.

With out a doubt, the AMU guys are the best shooters in the world.

Which class were they shooting, Scope, Service or Palma?

I don't know what they were shooting but the Herrick Trophy fires with "Any Rifle/Any Sights".

Last edited:
Holy crap! Good shooting!! I scored for Amanda Elsenboss at Forbes, when she was a HS student. She shot an AR 15 at 1K just for laughs. Not all hit the black....but she had fun. She complained about slow pit service, then got a miss scored. We went into the pits, next relay, I showed her the .22 hole still in/on the black 7 line, "there's your fast pit service."

Last edited:
Back in the late 80s we (AK NG Rifle Team) squaded next to the AMU for the 1000 yard team match at 29 Palms . We had to provide scorers for the team next to us so I decided to do the duties. Being the coach I figured I'm learn something setting as close as I could to their coach for the scoring duties. And I did, they shot a 799/800 (forgot the X count).

You can learn a lot snuggling up to an AMU Coach. He knew what I was up to and made sure I heard his calls. Always willing to help.

Congrats Army! That's some kick-ass shooting, as mentioned above, they've come a long way since the mid-80s! :D

I scored for Emil and the USAMU during several strings of the team match last week, as we were squadded right next to them. Tough, switchy fishtailing winds back on the 600, and one of the very few times I've ever seen Emil hold his guys up for that long. The whole match came down to that last yardline, and as I recall, they pulled it off by a single point. Very easy scoring duty with a crew like that, but man, did they shoot fast when the wind slacked off!

Of note here is not only great shooting but I've shot with the rifle team and have visited with Praslik a few times, SFC Praslik is the best wind reader in the world, note I didn't say "arguably". That's a 5 member team there that had shown us phenomenal skill

I'm proud to say that I shot with that unit once upon a time! If I could go back and live over one era of my life....it would be there!! Sgt Billy Atkins whom held the Farr Trophy Match record was one of the best coaches I've ever known!!