• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USB Power Bank Carrier From DoTechne

derek1ee

Private
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Hi all!

Some of you may know that I make an external power cover for Trijicon REAP-IR. Ever since I started making/selling these, people have been asking me about ways to carry USB power bank on their rig. There are some fine options (I quite like the one from TNVC) based on power bank that have gone end-of-life, while others are cheaply made with either household FDM 3D printer, or what I feel to be less optimal design (e.g. elastic cord that doesn't keep the power bank securely in the case during recoil).

Now that I'm bite the bullet and brought the equipment to bring selective laser sintering (SLS) with Nylon 12 in house, it's a lot easier for me to design, iterate, prototype, as well as making end use parts. So here's what I feel to be a better designed power bank carrier for your thermal optics.

1. It's designed for Anker 533 PowerCore 30W (model A1256), which has 10,000mAh and a nice, compact size.
  2. I can also easily update it as new & better power bank becomes available, as well as support other dimensions if there's another one the community prefers.
  3. The integrated latch & door assembly keeps the battery securely in the case during recoil.
  4. Comes with either integrated Picatinny clamp or M-LOK.
  5. There's a cutout for the power level display on the power bank, but the battery can be mounted up side down to eliminate light emission from the display if desired.
  6. It's printed using selective laser sintering/power bed fusion printer from powdered Nylon 12.
  7. Available in natural grey, or can be dyed black/tan.
  8. Designed, manufactured in the USA down to the smallest washer and screws used.
  9. Available made-to-order today: https://dotechne.com/power-bank-carrier/
Here are some photos of the power bank carrier mounted on top of Trijicon REAP-IR gen 2 in conjunction with the external power cover I make.

DSC_3769.JPG
DSC_3766.JPG
DSC_3763.JPG
DSC_3762.JPG
DSC_3761.JPG
mlok.png

Reactions: Eggman
I like it alot except for the brass ? threaded inserts? for corrosion from the elements.

I like it alot except for the brass ? threaded inserts? for corrosion from the elements.
Yes the threaded inserts are made of brass, it's the "flanged" type which is better against pull out, and only available in brass. According to the supplier, "Flanged inserts have a wider end than standard inserts, which gives them a larger load-bearing surface and makes them harder to pull out. Made with lead, brass inserts are stronger than aluminum and other brass alloys but not as strong as stainless steel inserts. They have good corrosion resistance."

But because these are made to order, I can customize it with either aluminum or stainless inserts if you so desire. Just send me a PM/email and we can work something out.

Reactions: strikeeagle1
It's just a holder for your power banks, so it really depends on whether the optics can be powered via external USB?
Ok. I thought there was also some kind of actual power supply made per unit. I see now. I went to their site and got it confused. So this is a box to hold that specific power bank, which yes, should work for externally powering an exlr I believe. You can attach the power supply to your rifle with this which is pretty cool.

Ok. I thought there was also some kind of actual power supply made per unit. I see now. I went to their site and got it confused. So this is a box to hold that specific power bank, which yes, should work for externally powering an exlr I believe. You can attach the power supply to your rifle with this which is pretty cool.
Yes it holds a specific power bank (Anker A1256) securely and attaches to either Picatinny or M-LOK.

Last edited:
Have you considered doing other battery packs?
I have a couple Goal Zero flip30's, same size as the current flip36.
3.7 x 2.4 x 0.83 (9.4 x 6.1 x 2.1 cm)
It might come in handy for my 450 BM with the ATN 4k 3-14 scope on it.

Have you considered doing other battery packs?
I have a couple Goal Zero flip30's, same size as the current flip36.
3.7 x 2.4 x 0.83 (9.4 x 6.1 x 2.1 cm)
It might come in handy for my 450 BM with the ATN 4k 3-14 scope on it.
If there's enough interests for a given model (say at least 5 ppl committing to it) yes I'd be happy to.

I choose Anker A1256 because its proportion, it's more square and thus more compact when mounted, compare to a lot of the flatter profile ones that's really designed to stack against cell phones. And Anker makes darn good power banks, so there's that.

Due to popular demand I'm also adding a curved/velcro version to attach to helmets. You can probably run your NODs for years with a full charge but it's a nice counterbalance :)
1702932450605.png