• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Use of Mil Dot reticle

GetReal

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2020
I understand the ease of calculations associated with mil dot reticles over MOA, but in recent conversations, I learnt most PRS matches are shot at known distances marked near the targets.

I don't hunt, so measuring the distance to a live target in the field isn't of any user to me.

And I'm not a military or police sniper.

All that said.... I'm wondering what others uses there are for mil dot reticles, or should I just get MOA.

Most of my shooting is PRS style, recreational shooting, off a bench, with the possibility of getting into PRS if my knees let me. I'll probably max out about 1,200 yards, due mostly to range limitations.

Thanx for any words of wisdom.

Mid Dot is not so common today. Not really precise. Many other mil based reticules have superseded the mil dot.

The important thing is to get your adjustments to match your reticule choice.

Also strongly consider getting CCW adjustments. CW are a hard sell if you decide to move it down the road.

As long as your scope turret graduation matches the reticle you’re good. Reticle rangefinding is a legacy skill these days. Making corrections based on what you see in your reticle is where having matching values shines.

You are simply misunderstanding and confusing two things: Mil-dot as a reticle is outdated, but Milliradians as a unit are not. Do you think in Base 10 or Base 4?

Lets say you have a 6.5CM and you are shooting at your 1200 max distance. I punched a random load into a calculator and it gave me the drop in Mils and MOA.

Would you rather dial to 12.0 mils in 0.1 mil increments, or 41.3 moa in 1/4 moa increments?

If you don't understand what I am getting at, just get mils. Revisit the question on your next optic purchase when you have experience.

You are simply misunderstanding and confusing two things: Mil-dot as a reticle is outdated, but Milliradians as a unit are not. Do you think in Base 10 or Base 4?

Lets say you have a 6.5CM and you are shooting at your 1200 max distance. I punched a random load into a calculator and it gave me the drop in Mils and MOA.

Would you rather dial to 12.0 mils in 0.1 mil increments, or 41.3 moa in 1/4 moa increments?

If you don't understand what I am getting at, just get mils. Revisit the question on your next optic purchase when you have experience.
Nah, I get it. Thing is.... Strelok Pro tells me how many *clicks* to adjust....in milliradians or MOA, as you tell teh app what reticle you are using. .

But thanx for the clarification ....I was using the terms "mil dot" synonymously with "milliradians"

tree reticles can help you make corrections, even if the ranging features aren't needed.

You could always get a moa reticle with moa turrets. 1/4 moa is a finer graduation than 0.1 mil. At 100yd, 1 mil is 3.435”. 0.1 mil click is roughly a third of an inch adjustment on paper. 1 moa is 1.047” at 100, 1/4 moa click is roughly a quarter inch adjustment. There are also scopes with .05 mil or 1/8 moa click values.
But for prs type shooting, coarser adjustments of milrad and base10 increments make it faster and simpler to dial corrections under a time constraint.

Reactions: camocorvette
You could always get a moa reticle with moa turrets. 1/4 moa is a finer graduation than 0.1 mil. At 100yd, 1 mil is 3.435”. 0.1 mil click is roughly a third of an inch adjustment on paper. 1 moa is 1.047” at 100, 1/4 moa click is roughly a quarter inch adjustment. There are also scopes with .05 mil or 1/8 moa click values.
But for prs type shooting, coarser adjustments of milrad and base10 increments make it faster and simpler to dial corrections under a time constraint.
This is true. I shoot an MRAD scope at long range but also for a 250yd league. If I'm a little off, one click doesn't put me in the bullseye. I have to visually adjust my aim point on the target.

After spending the past 27 years shooting and spotting for long range, the lowest common denominator I see for determining the Mils/MOA decision for you is mainly this:

Do you ever plan to work with a spotter or attend a training event?

If “YES”, then the likelihood that the spotter will have a spotting scope with a reticle is pretty high these days.

The likelihood that the spotter’s scope will have a Mil reticle of some type is probably in the 99 % range, if they have a reticle.

What that will make easier is the spotter/instructor’s ability to give you quick wind holds and corrections for your shots.

If that isn’t a consideration, pick what you want and enjoy it. Reticle options nowadays are plentiful and highly-evolved compared to even 10 years ago.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I learned the metric system very well at a young age and was taught not to convert. So I learned as if it were my mother’s tongue. For most things base 10 just makes so much sense to me. Therefore, I think in base 10 very well and find mrads to be more intuitive for my brain. This translates to faster dialing and holds, with less errors.

I hunt with a mildot which I mainly use for wind holds and as a backup ranging tool. Electronics do and have failed me in the field here in the harsh climate of Wyoming.

I really don’t think the difference between a 1/3 inch and 1/4 at 100 yards, makes a tinkers damn in hell. Certainly not hunting and my long range scope allows zeroing between clicks.

Last edited:

What gets me is why don’t Ballistic calcs allow output round to base four when moa is chosen. One of the things i disliked about my kestrel AB was the inability to get outputs to .1 instead of .01. This was a user setting I suggested.