• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Use of PVS-27 on XM-3 rifle?

Mike in NC

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2020
I have an XM-3 sniper being built by IBA. It was a project started many years ago and should be delivered soon. I am considering going with a PVS-27 clip on night vision unit instead of the original version which would have been a PVS-22 unit. My questions are will the PVS-27 fit and would I expect better resolution in the 8 to 15x maginification range of the day scope? I know the PVS-27 is about 1.5 inches longer and about 1/2 lb. heavier. I plan on using the Nightforce NXS 3.5x15.50 scope. I don't have the rifle in hand yet so I don't know how much front to back adjustment there is on the mount for the clip on NV unit, and if it will allow me to place the longer PVS-27 in front of this day scope without mounting the day scope too far back.

Anyone out there tried a PVS-27 or PVS-30 on an XM-3 or XM-3 clone?

I have an XM-3 sniper being built by IBA. It was a project started many years ago and should be delivered soon. I am considering going with a PVS-27 clip on night vision unit instead of the original version which would have been a PVS-22 unit. My questions are will the PVS-27 fit and would I expect better resolution in the 8 to 15x maginification range of the day scope? I know the PVS-27 is about 1.5 inches longer and about 1/2 lb. heavier. I plan on using the Nightforce NXS 3.5x15.50 scope. I don't have the rifle in hand yet so I don't know how much front to back adjustment there is on the mount for the clip on NV unit, and if it will allow me to place the longer PVS-27 in front of this day scope without mounting the day scope too far back.

Anyone out there tried a PVS-27 or PVS-30 on an XM-3 or XM-3 clone?
Just a suggestion but you should move this question to the Night Vision sub-forum. Plenty there will help guide you and give you good suggestions.

I have been looking at the PVS27 as well but am more interested in the PVS30. The huge height of the cat optical system of the PVS27 can limit your ability to mount other accessories on the rifle.

Good luck

Hi,

How do you have a rifle being built by IBA? Didn't they closed years ago?
1603644426420.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Hi,

How do you have a rifle being built by IBA? Didn't they closed years ago?

Sincerely,
Theis
Yes, IBA did stop operations. This is a rifle started many years sgo when they were still operating. Lt. Col Norm Chandler is a personal friend and found enough resources to finish this rifle. I have two other IBA rifles, a Chandler Rifle in 7X61 Sharpe&Hart and a tricked out M1A with heavy McMillian stock and full heavy Gene Barnett barrel.

Reactions: THEIS
I run a PVS30 on an XM type rifle and it remains about as handy as you can expect. Personally, I prefer the size of the 30 versus the 27 for a smaller, lighter rifle like that.

Mike...

I have one of the XM-3 Program Prototypes and run a PVS-27 with no issues. I‘ve attached a “morning after” pic with 27 mounted along with a SICo Radius and SPIR. I realize the shroud prohibits you from seeing exactly how the NOD and Day Optic interface, but, as I recall, horizontal centerline alignment was “dead on” and verticle Centerline alignment was within .25“ running NightForce 1.000” or 1.125“ tall Ultralights (I need to check) instead of the spec .885”’s. We can nail down the exact ring height if you are interested in pursuing, but I had no issues making head and heart shots at 698 yds at night. Ping Me if we need to dig deeper...

Regards
JHC

Attachments

• A1F50BE1-BFD7-4CC8-B609-615DBE2A2AE6.jpeg
    A1F50BE1-BFD7-4CC8-B609-615DBE2A2AE6.jpeg
    627.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 774D705A-CA40-419C-AD19-A22D875C94C7.jpeg
    774D705A-CA40-419C-AD19-A22D875C94C7.jpeg
    504.9 KB · Views: 213
Mike...

I have one of the XM-3 Program Prototypes and run a PVS-27 with no issues. I‘ve attached a “morning after” pic with 27 mounted along with a SICo Radius and SPIR. I realize the shroud prohibits you from seeing exactly how the NOD and Day Optic interface, but, as I recall, horizontal centerline alignment was “dead on” and verticle Centerline alignment was within .25“ running NightForce 1.000” or 1.125“ tall Ultralights (I need to check) instead of the spec .885”’s. We can nail down the exact ring height if you are interested in pursuing, but I had no issues making head and heart shots at 698 yds at night. Ping Me if we need to dig deeper...

Regards
JHC
Do you happen to know what height of the RAP is? I looked on the NF and there are no specifications provided

Ok... a little follow up.

Nik H: The height of the RAP pic rail above the centerline of the scope is ~ 1.8”

Mike: I confirmed that I used 1.000” high Ultralights (A101). The vertical offset between the center lines of the Scope and the PVS -27 is ~ .5“. see attached pic for detail on the NOD - Day Optic interface.

Attachments

• 0F648516-477D-4D12-929C-E5D1055D7863.jpeg
    0F648516-477D-4D12-929C-E5D1055D7863.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 86