• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing used barrel opinion please

CSS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Central, AL
Please look at the attached link to a used Bartlein barrel. His reserve is $200+ shipping. He said it is 27" and an 8 twist and of course shoots one hole at 200.
I've not seen rings cut in a barrel like this other than a Thompson 1927.
Do you think it is worth the savings over a new fluted barrel from one of the reputable makers.

If I bought it I plan to have the chamber cut off and rechambered to Creedmoor. I think it should still finish out at 24" +

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=198502484

Thanks for any constructive advise.

Re: used barrel opinion please

No, I'd pass.

You might get lucky and it works after you spend the time/money to have it properly headspaced to your action but what happens if it's a dud?

6.5-284's are not known for long barrel life, what's the deal with selling a barrel that is still shooting supreme groups at all? I smell something and it isn't flowers.

Your chances of getting the extractor cutout to line up with your receiver are about as good as winning the Powerball.

Run Forrest, RUN!!!!

I was not going to keep it a 6.5x284. I was going to have it cut and rechambered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was not going to keep it a 6.5x284. I was going to have it cut and rechambered. </div></div>

I see that now - Creedmoor.

I'd still pass. I can buy a good quality cut rifled barrel for $285, and if I walked in the door with that thing on GB my smith would give me all kinds of dirty looks.

That ring flute technique has been around for a while. Wes Harris of Horus fame and his partner made a big deal out of it when they were testing their scope design shooting feral donkies in Australia oh 8 or so years ago.

The rings cut in the barrel are old school, gunsmiths like Karl Kenyon used to do that on smalbore barrels, he would then fill the slots with silicon and wrap the barrel with heat tape. George Stidworthy the "1600 King" shot a Remington 37 built by Kenyon with that type of barrel. I don't know how effective it would be on a 6.5X284.

I think you would have to cut too much off of the barrel to make a 6.5 Creedmoor, the .284 case is much larger diamteter than the Creedmoor case so the entire chamber would have to cut off.

what kind of gambling man are you? You save $200 overall on a new barrel. The questions I would ask, are you willing to live with those barrel cooling cuts? They are hideous in my opinion. Next, how confident are you that the barrel will still shoot? The amount of work that needs to be done to this barrel is actually more than required of a new blank. How far back will your rifle be if you invest $450 into this barrel and it is a turd, with no recourse from the maker? Why not put the extra $200 up front, then you at least have a known quantity and likely a manufacture and gunsmith who will stand behind the product...

DD