• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Used car market

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    We spent the day looking for a reliable little car for my son before he heads off for college. The roads out here suck! So having something that is reliable and gets good gas mileage is important. We have been looking at Toyotas but dang, I didn't expect the used car market to skyrocket like it has. Only took 5 months for used cars to gain premium prices here in the south.

I was planning on buying a used Corvette this year but prices are ridiculous lately and look to be that way for a while. I decided to wait until shit settles down.

Nephew traded his new Ranger he drove for one year and put 15k on for $300.00 less than he paid for it new.
    Used prices are rediculous, Parts are rediculous also. Just finished making my daughters 2000 Accord road reliable, it has 210k on the clock. No pristene cars for learning drivers.

Edit because I cant fucking spell.

Yeah, don't look at used truck prices. I was recently offered almost (about $10k less) as much for my 2015 truck than I paid for it. I thought about it, but then I would have to find something to replace it with and that would be a tall order.

Yeah, don't look at used truck prices. I was recently offered almost (about $10k less) as much for my 2015 truck than I paid for it. I thought about it, but then I would have to find something to replace it with and that would be a tall order.
    My dad's wife totalled his 2015 f150 last week, insurance is paying out right around 30k. He paid 37k for it new in 2016 but like you said, he can't find anything that he wants at a reasonable price. I laughed when he said he might find a $500 beater and told him those are about three grand in this market 😂😂😂

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    We spent the day looking for a reliable little car for my son before he heads off for college. The roads out here suck! So having something that is reliable and gets good gas mileage is important. We have been looking at Toyotas but dang, I didn't expect the used car market to skyrocket like it has. Only took 5 months for used cars to gain premium prices here in the south.
    This isn’t a new phenomenon either! When I bought my Jeep in 2017 I couldn’t find used forerunner or anything for less than I could buy my Jeep for new. I was like to hell with that, why would I pay more for a used car than I can buy a new one for? So, I didn’t, I bought new which I usually hate to do. And that was then. This scamdemic crap has only made the problem that much worse. Hell, they offered my dad more for his truck the other day than he paid for it new and it’s 3 years old. That’s crazy. He said he would have sold it but didn’t know what he’d be able to get so he is just hanging onto it.

Yes, it is crazy right now...I sold my BIG 5th wheel trailer (RV's, what monstrous Big Black Holes! Lol)...So, I no longer needed my 2015 Chevy Silverado HD Duramax LST...(I loved the heck out of that pickup, but couldn't justify it any longer.) So, after researching N.A.D.A and KBB I shopped for economical transportation...I settled on a 2021 Subaru Outback Trail model, top of the line...I purchased a VERY slightly used one (shop loaner)...All told they swapped straight across...SIX model years old for a nearly new 2021...I probably could have gotten 2-5K more, but didn't want to go through the hassle of a private sale... Oh, the P/U was pristine with less than 50k miles on it...

Bought my oldest a used low mile tacoma 2 years ago. I see comps listed at 2x what I paid.
    Nada lists trade in on my wife's tundra at 4k above what we bought it for new.
    Comps for my Taco says it's worth about $3k less then when I bought it new 12 years and 130,000miles ago.

I traded up last September. The dealer gave me 3 grand more than I paid for my trade-in when it was brand new. 2018 Tacoma, and at the time it was 2 years old and had 40k on the clock. I couldn’t say no. I’m hearing the market is even more exaggerated now. If I didn’t love my corvette so much I’d be tempted to let it go for a profit.

The COVID shutdown shifted chip manufacturing to shit like video games and away from vehicle stock. We picked up three new Chevy 2500 work trucks last month after a 5 month wait. We are till waiting on one, which is supposedly done except the computer. Delivery is undetermined...

Last March I could have bought an F150 with a 5.0 and super crew cab for $33,000 off the lot here in Murfreesboro. $10k off sticker. Now, they’re $7k over.

Crazy shit, but I think we may be starting to see some of the inflation that 20 years of printing money catching up to us.

They jumped $7-10k in price from a year ago, I don't need one that bad. It will go back down so why lose my ass on a toy that I don't need
    Damn, I've been trying to convince myself to sell my Vette, don't have time to track it like I used to. May be the time to let it go. It ain't no show piece tho, been driven like a sports car should be :cool:

My buddy had a dealer offer sticker on his 2020 F250 King Ranch when he had it in for service the other day. Sticker is $81k.

Reactions: Bradu
    The COVID shutdown shifted chip manufacturing to shit like video games and away from vehicle stock. We picked up three new Chevy 2500 work trucks last month after a 5 month wait. We are till waiting on one, which is supposedly done except the computer. Delivery is undetermined...

Last March I could have bought an F150 with a 5.0 and super crew cab for $33,000 off the lot here in Murfreesboro. $10k off sticker. Now, they’re $7k over.

Crazy shit, but I think we may be starting to see some of the inflation that 20 years of printing money catching up to us.

I saw a report that Ford was using some race track's parking area to store all of the trucks that are waiting for chips. They filled that up and are now saying they are going to ship the trucks to the dealer and the dealer will install the chips when they finally arrive.

We're talking just 1 plant. Can you imagine how many vehicles around the entire country are waiting for these chips???

It’s crazy. I was at the dealer for service and saw a super duty that caught my eye.

Was curious to see what thy would give me for my 2017 f150 lariat with 92k miles. They offered $35k. I think I paid $40k for it in 2017. I almost took them up on it. But I don’t need a car payment right now. Any other year and I would have done it. FML

Something similar happened when they were paying people to destroy their old cars to save the planet. I don’t recall exactly, but it was several thousand dollars if you traded in your older, less efficient car and bought a Chevy Volt or some shit. Amazingly enough, the market adjusted and new cars rose about the same amount. Kind of like college tuition when the lottery started awarding scholarships in TN and wages and costs of products when the minimum wage gets raised everywhere. There is a short term boom, then it all evens out again...

If the inflation from quantitative easing actually does hit, what we’re seeing now isn’t shit.

It’s crazy. I was at the dealer for service and saw a super duty that caught my eye.

Was curious to see what thy would give me for my 2017 f150 lariat with 92k miles. They offered $35k. I think I paid $40k for it in 2017. I almost took them up on it. But I don’t need a car payment right now. Any other year and I would have done it. FML
    I just got done paying off my Chevy a year ahead of schedule. As inviting as the value of the trade might be, not having a payment is pretty awesome (gun parts, yayyyy) 🤣😂

Reactions: Bender and FatBoy
    I just got done paying off my Chevy a year ahead of schedule. As inviting as the value of the trade might be, not having a payment is pretty awesome (gun parts, yayyyy) 🤣😂

In January, I paid off my truck a few months early and while I was at it, I paid off my wife's 2020 Kona. Even with a 2% loan, we were losing 2% by keeping the loan. It feels good not having any car payment for the first time in about 10 years.

I was approached by someone that wanted to buy my truck. They were willing to pay me $10k less than I paid for it. Reluctantly I said no. I'm trying to get my debt down as low as I can. A house payment is all we owe now.

I'm now finding out, due to this thread, that my truck has a NADA value of about what I paid for the truck in 2015. This is insane. I know my truck is kinda rare with just 30k miles but there's no way I'd pay that kind of money on a 6 year old truck.

In January, I paid off my truck a few months early and while I was at it, I paid off my wife's 2020 Kona. Even with a 2% loan, we were losing 2% by keeping the loan. It feels good not having any car payment for the first time in about 10 years.

I was approached by someone that wanted to buy my truck. They were willing to pay me $10k less than I paid for it. Reluctantly I said no. I'm trying to get my debt down as low as I can. A house payment is all we owe now.

I'm now finding out, due to this thread, that my truck has a NADA value of about what I paid for the truck in 2015. This is insane. I know my truck is kinda rare with just 30k miles but there's no way I'd pay that kind of money on a 6 year old truck.
    Yeah my truck is a 2013 Silverado. Got it used in 2016. Got 150k on the clock and NADA says she's worth like $13-14k, which is incredible. 8 year old truck, 150k.... that should be worth like under $10k without question.

Crazy times were in.

I saw a report that Ford was using some race track's parking area to store all of the trucks that are waiting for chips. They filled that up and are now saying they are going to ship the trucks to the dealer and the dealer will install the chips when they finally arrive.

We're talking just 1 plant. Can you imagine how many vehicles around the entire country are waiting for these chips???
    Trump wanted to bring some of that manufacturing back to the US. China wants revenge from Trump's policies and Xiden ain't going to do shit about it.
    I thought the military required critical components to remain within the US. But I'm not sure if they ever really stuck to that.

Reactions: Bender
    Something similar happened when they were paying people to destroy their old cars to save the planet. I don’t recall exactly, but it was several thousand dollars if you traded in your older, less efficient car and bought a Chevy Volt or some shit. Amazingly enough, the market adjusted and new cars rose about the same amount. Kind of like college tuition when the lottery started awarding scholarships in TN and wages and costs of products when the minimum wage gets raised everywhere. There is a short term boom, then it all evens out again...

If the inflation from quantitative easing actually does hit, what we’re seeing now isn’t shit.
    The Obama "cash for clunkers" program.

Reactions: FatBoy
    I have been driving a 98 Tacoma I bought new. She now has 330,000 miles , no major issues. Have had the timing belt replaced 2X. I use Mobil 1 synthetic since 2000.

So when I decided time to get another vehicle, I decided to buy ANOTHER Tacoma in 2014. Bought her brand new too.
    She is a lot more plush , both are V-6s , 4x4 , auto trans. I paid 30K in 2014. She has a little less than 20K miles. Most of the miles were to Colorado & back via Arkansas.
    I have been getting numerous calls from the salesman I bought it from.
    He has basically been offering in the area of 28K cash , think I could get almost what I paid for it. 👍He has a buyer for it already. Piss on him , it’s just getting broken in !
    So I plan on keeping them both !
    Can‘t go wrong Inacoma 😎

Yes, it is crazy right now...I sold my BIG 5th wheel trailer (RV's, what monstrous Big Black Holes! Lol)...So, I no longer needed my 2015 Chevy Silverado HD Duramax LST...(I loved the heck out of that pickup, but couldn't justify it any longer.) So, after researching N.A.D.A and KBB I shopped for economical transportation...I settled on a 2021 Subaru Outback Trail model, top of the line...I purchased a VERY slightly used one (shop loaner)...All told they swapped straight across...SIX model years old for a nearly new 2021...I probably could have gotten 2-5K more, but didn't want to go through the hassle of a private sale... Oh, the P/U was pristine with less than 50k miles on it...
    Round here thats a $50k+ truck right now.

On a side note anybody looking to sell a car right now check Vroom. They offered 35k on a 2020 Honda passport with 15k on it that I bought new for 33k. Didn’t take it because I wouldn’t be able to replace it and it’s my wife’s main car but damn is that tempt

Last edited:
    Not to derail the Post, but to add... have you seen the used Ski boat market!? What a joke. Our old boat has depreciated only $500 bucks a year!!!!
    It's 18 years old!

I think it's because of the costs of new boats are outrageous, $100K-$330K for a ski boat has out priced the average person thus creating a whole new market for used boats. Basic economics, supply and demand.

Covid really jacked all of this , which is BS

The Obama "cash for clunkers" program.

Cash For Clunkers had a different impact on the market. It obviously wiped out the bottom end (those 12-year-old Grand Ams driven by your local bartenders), which sucked because those were the folks would could literally least afford to deal with a price increase for their transportation needs. The $4000 rebate established that as the floor for used cars, and it only took $1000 or so to buy a usable vehicle prior to CfC.

Late-model used car prices went the other day during CfC; they were already depressed from the recession and this took another few grand off their value. I scored a few great deals on lightly-used vehicles in the aftermath. Leasing companies were less enthusiastic.

Trying to explain the current dynamic exceeds my understanding of the automobile market. It is fucked up from so many angles that it is impossible to distill things down to a simple factor, or even a group of factors. Once again - Corvette buyers are claiming that used Corvettes are too expensive. That doesn't happen in a normal world (especially not less than two years after the release of a new generation).

Reactions: clcustom1911
    Its quite crazy to see what is going on in US over the pond we do not see quite the same stuff happening , less than year ago pickups and vans were standing in dealership parking lots , no business in sight so 10.000Eur discounts were offered by many, I bought a Mercedes X an outgoing pickup model with that 10k eur off list price and was at the time cheaper new than used .Year later prices are back but no crazy price increases on used cars ither. 2020 was definitely the year to buy a new car with so much unsold inventory.

Note in Europe Vans and pickups are mostly sold to 'commercial users' so while the market slumped the commercial sales nearly stoped as companies postponed any vehicle purchases.

In addition to supply chain distruptions , Money is simply worth less thanks to FED and other central banks .

2021-06-04_06-54-54.png

Wonder how many chips for Ford got trashed here

Last edited:
    Those Tacoma's are nice trucks. Never owned one, driven a couple TRD's.
    In 2000 I installed a TRD Supercharger , TRD headers , Catalytic converter back (catback) Exhaust ...sent the auto trans valve body to a place in N.J. that remaps it for added strength. Kind of like a shift-kit. Had it on a dyno and she has a little over 300 horsepower. It has 4x4 but doesn’t have positive-traction. Soooo at a stop & go I would go through R rear tires quickly. I ran it at a local drag strip and it did 1/4’s in the low 14 second range. Outran a couple of Ford Lightnings ! Unhooked the governor on the tranny and had a buddy tail me in Z06 Vette. Since I couldn’t tell how fast I was getting after 108 mph , I tapped the brakes when I was going as fast as it would go.
    I hit close to 130 mph then he flew past me. This was with All Terrain tires !
    Have ruined a few egos pulling next to Camaros & Mustangs 😉

• Haha
    Cash for clunkers fucked a lot of shit up. As was said above, $400 beaters are no longer a thing.

Those “clunkers” that still exist sell for good money even in non running condition.

The best result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program was that a lot of Obama bumper stickers disappeared ............

That was a hell of a thing to do. They stepped up big time for doing that. Part of the reason I picked a tacoma for my boy.

That was a hell of a thing to do. They stepped up big time for doing that. Part of the reason I picked a tacoma for my boy.

They didn't do it out of the kindness of their heart. There was a class action lawsuit against them. Over 225,000 vehicles needed their frame replaced.

I have a 2019 F250 that I don't drive much. It has less than 2000 miles on it. Maybe I'll call the local dealership and see what they'll give me for it.

I have a 2019 F250 that I don't drive much. It has less than 2000 miles on it. Maybe I'll call the local dealership and see what they'll give me for it.

Contact Vroom or Carvana. I hear they are giving more for your vehicle than dealers are at this time.

car clubs where you can lease cars you might not other wise be able to buy might be worth looking into if you have anything like it in your area . my one and only time dealing with used car dealer ships was less than a pleasant experience and everything is insanely over priced anymore .

Got offered $37,000 on my 2019 4runner when I took it in for service today. Crazy. I only paid , $30,000 when I bought it new.

I asked the lady what I would replace it with if I sold it, and they showed me a bunch of used 4Runners with higher mileage for $40k plus, lol.

Toyota is cutting production by 40%. I told the lady that their offer made no sense, lol.

Picked up a 2021 Tacoma in June and just for fun checked Vroom a few days ago. They would give $3K more than the total price I paid for it. Yeah, it's crazy.

Been trying to find a C6 Corvette. Their prices don't seem as crazy as some other late model muscle cars. Of course, now that I want one, I can't find one.