• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Used Coast Guard cutter for sale.

Heck, I'd live on that thing! I could probably afford the $135k, once I sold the house and vehicles, but, slip fees would probably break me.
Mac (y)(y)

Way I see it, is the Coast Guard IS listed as one of the branches of military....ergo.... one COULD mount guns and launchers on it.... ergo.... this could be one FUN ship.

Another mentioned slip-fees.... one also needs to consider hull scraping and cleaning... and there are only so-many who can be keel-hauled. So take that into consideration.

It's looking mighty Bourbon out tonight!

Gotta be worth more than that in parts and scrap!

I wonder how current the pic is?

Heck, I'd live on that thing! I could probably afford the $135k, once I sold the house and vehicles, but, slip fees would probably break me.
Mac (y)(y)

Slip hell.
Anchor up in a small bay and move 100yds every couple of days.
Get a little 13' RIB to go ashore.
Keep a scooter or bicycle handy for grocery shopping

From the same page. I do believe they could have come up with a better name for this type of boat.

May I introduce you to a TENDER PACKER.

Damn!

I just sent a check to the Tolly ban for a BlackHawk.....I can't afford both.

On a side note I was in Bass Pro yesterday and there was your typical fiberglass center console offshore fishing boat for sale.....$125,000.

Except for operating costs, for which expense do you get better value?

Reactions: Ravenworks
Damn!

I just sent a check to the Tolly ban for a BlackHawk.....I can't afford both.

On a side note I was in Bass Pro yesterday and there was your typical fiberglass center console offshore fishing boat for sale.....$125,000.

Except for operating costs, for which expense do you get better value?
Tolly ban have more then 39 BlackHawks because the news reported that they have more then Australia now, how many more is probability insanely funny .

Reactions: Ravenworks
Make a nice crab boat.

The vessel was built in 1945 by Ira Bushey and Sons, Inc. of Brooklyn, NY to a US Navy design as a yard oiler. After serving the Navy, the vessel was decommissioned and tied up in Boston Harbor until September 1, 1974. In 1974, the vessel was sold to a private party and used as a molasses hauler for 8 months. In 1978, it was purchased by John Jorgensen and converted at Bender Shipbuilding of Mobile, AL to serve as a crab fishing vessel. A bow thruster was added in 1978. The vessel has participated in Bering Sea crab fisheries since conversion.

Make a nice crab boat.

The vessel was built in 1945 by Ira Bushey and Sons, Inc. of Brooklyn, NY to a US Navy design as a yard oiler. After serving the Navy, the vessel was decommissioned and tied up in Boston Harbor until September 1, 1974. In 1974, the vessel was sold to a private party and used as a molasses hauler for 8 months. In 1978, it was purchased by John Jorgensen and converted at Bender Shipbuilding of Mobile, AL to serve as a crab fishing vessel. A bow thruster was added in 1978. The vessel has participated in Bering Sea crab fisheries since conversion.

My nephew has been working on a Alasking FV that was originally hulled in 1944 as some sort of mil craft than had a third more hull added in the middle and now catches fish.

Makes me think of the Edmund Fitzgerald.....he makes good money doing it. Lots of envy for his youth and work ethic.

Make a nice crab boat.

So are we getting a boat?
SM hide/clubhouse

A bottom job alone would be the price of a small house

It’s like buying a Mig 21, can get a pretty nice one for not too much, but the care and feeding of it will kill you unless you bank account is forced funded by a nations population.

Reactions: camocorvette
My bro in law is a Coastie and I shot this to him. He says he knows a couple of guys who "sailed on that ole hunk of junk...I mean good ole girl."

If you had the cash to buy it and out fit it well you could make a bundle selling it to some wealthy idiot.

@pmclaine USCGC Acushnet was one of the cutters involved in the rescue of the SS Fort Mercer, another victim of the same nor'easter that claimed the SS Pendelton off Chatham.

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours looking about USS Edson (DD-967, named after MGEN Merritt Edson, USMC) at the Saginaw Bay Naval Museum. Even though I served on something quite a bit newer, a lot of things about her took me back 30 years ago to my first sea billet. Number 2 engine room and fire room were an eye opener for me, used to the gas turbine plant of a newer frigate and the super roomy steam plant of a CVN.

Here's number 2 fire room, you can see one of the boilers on the left of the frame. Had to be hot AF down there while on the gun line off Vietnam
1630277136182.png

Old school CIC
1630277199726.png

Last edited:
@pmclaine USCGC Acushnet was one of the cutters involved in the rescue of the SS Fort Mercer, another victim of the same nor'easter that claimed the SS Pendelton off Chatham.

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours looking about USS Edson (DD-967, named after MGEN Merritt Edson, USMC) at the Saginaw Bay Naval Museum. Even though I served on something quite a bit newer, a lot of things about her took me back 30 years ago to my first sea billet. Number 2 engine room and fire room were an eye opener for me, used to the gas turbine plant of a newer frigate and the super roomy steam plant of a CVN.

Here's number 2 fire room, you can see one of the boilers on the left of the frame. Had to be hot AF down there while on the gun line off Vietnam
View attachment 7693611

Old school CIC
View attachment 7693615
You must be from my area, I live in Saginaw but am from Gladwin and still own a farm there. I've seen it from the bridge and thought one of these days I really need to get over there and check that ship out.

You must be from my area, I live in Saginaw but am from Gladwin and still own a farm there. I've seen it from the bridge and thought one of these days I really need to get over there and check that ship out.

I'm from near Dayton, OH. Thursday was my girl's move in day at UM, and the wife and I made a weekend out of it.

Reactions: loboman7x57

It's an eye opener, if you've never served at sea.

How is it only 135K?

Are there alot of seamans on it?

You should buy it and put it the hole your neighbor dug. Would serve as a hell of a wall too… you might be able to charge for tours. Probably the old Coast Guards ship in Utah!

I thought this was interesting . I recall Dirty D mentioning he served on it at one time
“Lots of extra tools and machinery included. Motivated seller.” Translation: this thing is a hopeless money pit. The hull was in horrible shape in the early 90’s when I sailed her, you could burn through $500k-750k replacing hull plate with no guarantee that you would replace everything that needed to be replaced. The engined are 4 Fairbanks Morse opposed piston locomotive engines that no one makes parts for any more. The reduction gears are so old that when a slinger ring was damaged (lol, that’s another story) the company that made them had been out of business so long that the CG had to dig through the Smithsonians archive warehouse to find machining prints to have another company make a replacement. Boats are holes in the water that you throw money into and the Acushnet is a money pit among money pits. Do the world a favor and scrap that pig!

My initials may or may not be carved into the hull in several places. 😎

Make a nice crab boat.

I spent 1 season on the Bering on a converted Navy oiler......no thanks, couldn't wait to get back on a Marco.

Reactions: VA-Varminter