• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Used Colt, competition model

ms6852

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
I have a colleague at work that wants to fund his next project which is an AR-10. He is asking $950 for a colt competition AR. He does not know the exact model but did say it has a 1:7 barrel, is a flat top with a removable handle. That is all that I could get out of him. I am not really into AR type rifles even though I am retired military but have lately been bitten by the bug. I had considered buying the DPMS mini SASS but would consider purchasing this Colt from my colleague if the asking price is reasonable.

Would like to know your thoughts and opinions on this. Is the asking price reasonable? Thanks. BTW round count is 300.

Re: Used Colt, competition model

950 for a colt is a good price regardless of the model, It will hold resale, and they are a quality firearm.

A Colt is a Colt is a Colt. They are well-made and they do tend to hold their value pretty well for the most part. Some things to be aware of with Colts though since you don't know which model or the approx. age of the rifle...

All of Colt's "newer" products use standard size pivot and take-down pins, as well as trigger pins, to my knowledge. However, at some point in the past, Colt came out with the large front take down pin and larger trigger pins which can be a huge PITA if you want to run multiple uppers on your single lower. Because Colt's older lowers are the big hole, if you want multiple uppers then you will need to get the small hole to big hole offset pin for the front take down which is not a simple push in, pull out design which requires screwdrivers to take the upper off the lower. Anyway...somethings to think about/confirm about the rifle you are considering before you take the plunge.

Finally, as for the mini-SASS...while the price is roughly $400-450 more than the Colt...you are getting a vastly different rifle. Only you can determine which rifle better suits you/your needs at this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomahawk84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">950 for a colt is a good price regardless of the model, It will hold resale, and they are a quality firearm. </div></div>
+1
smile.gif

I was wondering why I heard that colt made a quality AR but wondered why people buy, dpms,bushmaster, noveske, larue, etc. and not many colts ar's. I think it is just difficult to interchange uppers and lowers. But I had heard that dpms has the same issue yet you can change their 5.56 upper with an Alexander arms .50 Beowulf.

Ord thanks for bringing up the small hole to big hole offset pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering why I heard that colt made a quality AR but wondered why people buy, dpms,bushmaster, noveske, larue, etc. and not many colts ar's. I think it is just difficult to interchange uppers and lowers. But I had heard that dpms has the same issue yet you can change their 5.56 upper with an Alexander arms .50 Beowulf.

Ord thanks for bringing up the small hole to big hole offset pin. </div></div>
Cause not everyone likes the Colt Koolaid. I would rather Build an AR with the parts I want then buy a colt and have to Change a bunch of stuff. And plus colt aint then end all be all AR. Personally I would take a BCM over colt but that is just me.I dont think DPMS made a large pin lower, I have one of their lowers and its the Standard MIL-SPEC pin size. I believe the large pin is a Colt only thing.

Not trying to sound rude but I am very tired so sorry if this comes off as rude.

Scott

Colt has the best marketing not necessarily the best products.

good luck

Jerry