• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Used FN SPR A5M XP or Tikka?

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I’ve got a line on a used FN SPR A5M XP for $1500. I’m trying to confirm round count and twist rate. It’s supposed to be 1:10.

I can also pick up a Tikka Sporter for $1300 new.

Or a Tikka T3x CTR for $1000 and add a KRG Bravo (which seems to be out of stock right now).

.308 is the caliber because i don’t currently own a .308 (and i feel like i should) plusI’d like to play around in both F/TR and the PRS Tactical Division. I’ll hunt with it too.

So what’s your opinion on this. I’m open to other options as well.

If you have anything that is similar I’m interested.

Thanks,
Paul

I own a SPR and it's a great rifle. If you don't ever plan on making changes to the rifle the SPR is a better value. The Tikka has better aftermarket support.

I have owned 2 custom tikka and a ctr. My brother has a fn spr 308 that I have shot quite a bit. His has a brux barrel, manners stock, Jewell trigger.

Both are great guns, but id pick the fn in a second. If they made a left handed version of it I'd own a couple. The action has most the same features of today's top of the line customs. Very nice gun. Only downside is not as many gunsmith will rebarrel them. But, it's a 308!!! That will take a while to shoot out

I'm currently running an FN SPR A3G which is a friggin laser, but, as @Cascade Hemi indirectly mentioned above, it has pretty much zero aftermarket support. CDI is your only option for installing a DBM (if it doesn't have one) and as for a chassis, you're pretty much looking at either an MDT ESS or I think one other brand's model. I'm still running this rifle until I pull the trigger on an AI AX and then passing it off to the wife.

IF you value being able to purchase a bunch of various aftermarket kit for your system, then go Tikka. If you want a tac driver that you don't ever plan on upgrading besides swapping optics or slings/bipods, then go with the FN.

If I had to do it all over again, as the A3G was my first personal LR system, I would have done more research into what options were out there besides "who has a rack rifle that is guaranteed to shoot 1/2 or better?" and looked at the bigger picture of possible future upgrades/support.

Both are good choices, I’ve owned both. If you know for sure you are never going to modify it, the FN is a nice rifle but I would still go with the TIKKA for sure. With the options out there today I just don’t see the point in buying a gun that doesn’t have aftermarket support.... unless I was getting a classic or something

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I'm currently running an FN SPR A3G which is a friggin laser, but, as @Cascade Hemi indirectly mentioned above, it has pretty much zero aftermarket support. CDI is your only option for installing a DBM (if it doesn't have one) and as for a chassis, you're pretty much looking at either an MDT ESS or I think one other brand's model. I'm still running this rifle until I pull the trigger on an AI AX and then passing it off to the wife.

IF you value being able to purchase a bunch of various aftermarket kit for your system, then go Tikka. If you want a tac driver that you don't ever plan on upgrading besides swapping optics or slings/bipods, then go with the FN.

If I had to do it all over again, as the A3G was my first personal LR system, I would have done more research into what options were out there besides "who has a rack rifle that is guaranteed to shoot 1/2 or better?" and looked at the bigger picture of possible future upgrades/support.

I don't think I'd say there is no aftermarket support but it is much lower than the Tikka. My action is out getting rebarreled right now. I had the bolt handle extended by a member here back on the old board. I'm running the stock trigger, and it's pretty good, but Timney and Jewell both make aftermarket triggers. Manners has M70 inlets too. With all that said, if the OP doesn't want the MCM A3 stock he may as well buy the Tikka because he'll be looking at CDI bottom metal too (as you said).

Also worth considering is the SPR A3G bedding is pretty minimal at best. I would either budget for having the stock bedded or plan on doing it yourself.

I have an FN I bought off another member here. Jewell trigger, McMillan A4 stock, CDI DBM. Paid way less than your looking at. You can get triggers all day for it. CDI is the only option for AICS mag DBM. I have it on this one and it works perfectly. You can get McMillan stocks drop in ready all day for $400 for all the FN short action rifles in that series (SPR, PBR, etc). If a "gunsmith" won't spin a barrel for it, their are not a gunsmith (most are not). If your in to Mauser based actions they are awesome. $1500 is not a steal, but fair if its a 1-10 as it should be. The PBR where 1-12. Round count is irrelevant in a 308 unless its for F Class.

Tikka TX3 is an awesome rifle minus the odd ball mags. A chassis will fix the mag issue, but that's also an additional cost.

Tikka sporter at $1300 is not on my list of worth that kinda of money.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps. Good luck. 308 forever!!!

You should check out my 40 X in the PX.

Good luck with your search.

Your signature line rocks.

God bless America.

Like what most of the others have said, I'd take the FN in a heartbeat over the Tikka. One of my main match rifles is an FN SPR action custom built by AJ Brown in a Manners T3 stock and CDI DBM bottom metal with a Bartlein barrel in 6.5 CM. The rifle is a hammer and the controlled round Win 70 action has been rock solid reliable in rain and dust. The FN SPR action is essentially the same as a Winchester Mod 70 so parts support is still pretty good. My rifle has the stock Winchester 70 single stage trigger and it's a great trigger that has many decades of proven reliability and easy adjustability.

Getting rebarreled costs a bit more than a Rem 700 type action because the barrel needs to be threaded then the relief cut for the claw extractor needs to be made, but any gunsmith who can rebarrel a Winchester Mod 70 can work on the FN SPR. And although I like my rifle with the CDI bottom metal so I can use AICS mags like all my other precision rifles (except my AW), FN TBM magazines are readily available and they cost less than Accuracy International mags.

Furthermore, if you are going to leave this in 308, the FN SPR hammer forged chrome lined barrels have been around for a long time and have a great reputation for accuracy and really long barrel life, so you might never need another barrel for that rifle.

Also I'm pretty sure the XP model comes with a 1:10 barrel and is stamped 1:10 right on the barrel, and the muzzle is threaded 5/8x24 for a brake.

Last edited:
FN SPR-A5 XPs are 1:10" twist and have the threaded muzzle. Also has the larger bolt knob and TBM magazines. Otherwise it is the same as the previous SPR-A5M. Confirm with the seller that the catalog part number is either 75638 or 75640 and its an XP.