• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Used Forward Assist for First Time Ever

Woollymonster

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2011
Out getting some trigger time behind my DD M4A1 this weekend. Pulled the trigger on one round and heard a faint pop, no bang.

The bolt was open by about 1/4 inch but I could not clear the round. I was shooting reloads and suspected I had a squib. Pulling as hard as I could with both hands with the butt of the rifle in my chest, I still could not eject the round.

So, I began to work the bolt closed with the forward assist and then pull back hard. After about three repeats, the round ejected. The primer firing was just enough power to stick the bullet in the throat. I was afraid the bullet might be pulled free from the case and stick in the throat but, it did not. See pic below.

I guess I just became a fan of the forward assist. Is there a downside to having one?

tempImage345xK3.jpg

tempImageYyWiUc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rpoL98
The downside of the forward assist is forcing closed a system that is trying to tell you that something is amiss. Understand what you are doing and why, and it’s probably not a problem. But, in civi hands on a square range? Unnecessary.

Same here. I don’t load until I get in the stand or blind.
And, this is about the only “good” use of the FA that there is in a civi setting. But, if you didn’t have the FA, you could probably still close the bolt using your fingers/thumb and the depression in the bcg body. I’ve read that is why it is there…

I've used it before after doing an administratively required press check: I wasn't certain that the bolt went back into battery (probably unintentionally rode it forward a bit).

And, this is about the only “good” use of the FA that there is in a civi setting. But, if you didn’t have the FA, you could probably still close the bolt using your fingers/thumb and the depression in the bcg body. I’ve read that is why it is there…
The cut out on the BCG is the place where the spring loaded, captured detent on the ejection port cover sits. Maybe it was designed with two functions, but it definitely has a function other than being a press button for fingers. Personally, I try no to rely on pushing on slick, oily curved metal with my finger tip through the ejection port cover.

The downside of the forward assist is forcing closed a system that is trying to tell you that something is amiss. Understand what you are doing and why, and it’s probably not a problem. But, in civi hands on a square range? Unnecessary.

i subscribe to that theory as well. if it doenst want to close, i am not going to force it.

Well I must admit I on occasion load a round before I walk to the stand, but climbing a ladder to a tree stand with a loaded rifle and a grandkid just doesn’t set a very good example.
Stand hunting I come in loaded, unload and climb and then reload. I’ve been in your situation, you can do it with your finger but the FA is easier.

I don’t care enough to seek out slickside uppers so kind of a non issue anyway

Teaching it used to be common place for immediate action drills on ARs. Guess it depends on what purpose your weapon serves.

I was taught to use the forward assist in Marine Corps boot camp. It became second nature. I still use it for administrative loading.

I lost count how many times I’ve used the forward assist during field exercises and on combat patrols.

I’ve never used it to overcome a major malfunction that would necessitate jamming the cartridge in the chamber with force like so many FA detractors like to insinuate is the only scenario.

Rather, I’ve used it frequently when the action is slowed in adverse conditions, and sharp edges on fully loaded, issued mag feed lips cause enough friction to further sap energy from feeding the round. It all culminates in a bolt that doesn’t fully lock into place. It needs just a little love tap of the FA to get it locked and back in action.

Yes, I cleaned my M4 after every patrol, yes I kept it lubed. But extremely fine sand “moon dust” gets into everything. I’m sure extreme cold would also similarly remove energy from the action.

I also used it at the start of every patrol when loading a round inside the outpost/patrol base. Slow load the first round to prevent a slam fire inside a vehicle or helicopter. Sure, they’re rare but no sense in taking even that super slim risk when I don’t have to.

“But you can just shove your finger into the ejection port to do what you did”

Gross vs fine motor skills. It’s quicker, easier, simpler, and more assured to bump the FA with my palm than it is to a stick my gloves finger in a slot and push the carrier forward with that finger tip.

I can totally understand people who want slick side ARs for their builds. Have at it and enjoy your AR. But Stoner was simply wrong when he insisted that the forward assist was pointless or a negative on M16s. Engineers should question CONOPS and Use Cases presented by the customer. It can often lead to better solutions when there is collaborative critiquing. But the engineers aren’t always right. Field experience from the end user shouldn’t be ignored.