• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Used MTM vs. new breach

gunrgood

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2012
NV
I have noticed a lot of used PAS-23 (MTM) popping up for sale lately and I am wondering how they compare to the FLIR breach.

Intended use is scanning/spotting for night hunts.
either handheld, headborne, or the occasional clip on.

Possible alternatives would be trijicon patrol or Andres Tilo-3z (any experience with these???) or a insight WTM

I have found a good amount of information on the breach so it really comes down to whether or not I consider a used, out of warranty piece of equipment.

Thanks

Check out the Iray mh25, it won't work as a clip on but fills the helmet mounted scanner role quite nicely. @jstokes1 has a nice thread going on them

The MTM will get it done ... the MTM is a 320, the Patrol is a 640 ... so the MTM is not a patrol (maybe 70% to 80%) but it has good lenses ...

Of course the devil is in the details and when buying used ... u need to ask questions about the unit and judge the seller to try to reduce chance you get ripped off ... but I'd be happy to have an MTM ... (I have a similar 320 Skeet and a Breach) ...

If its a smokin deal ... I'd consider it ...

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I have noticed the same thing, quite a few seem to be popping up.
I would think the MTM would surpass the breach, but have never used an MTM.

Eliteuas, I appreciate your honesty.

Anyone have experience with Andres industries Tilo-3 or 6 ?

MTM / PAS-23 can't be used as a Clip-on.

Tilo's are AWESOME!

I've used the Flir M24 that competed with MTM. Have 1.
I've used the MTM. Have more than one.
I've used the breach. Dont have any.
None of these are clip ons.

I'm not quite as rabid as Eliteuas (no offense Brother) against the breach. It's not the same mil quality as the first two I mention. Absolutely not.
Works fine for what it is and what you pay for it, but it's not jarhead tough.

Only problem with the MTM is the majority dont have a paper trail. Most are former U.S. Gov property that went awol.
When it dies, it's a paperweight. Nothing else.
Mine were contractor company purchase and came with the original papers, yay for me on paperweight vs a good deal.
Even then, Insight is not real friendly on servicing them.
Let the buyer beware...

I have zero experience with the Tilo. It looks pretty good. If I was starting over I would look very seriously at these.

I love the MTM for helmet use. The IR patrol is horrible big, heavy, bulky, clunky, on a helmet and you need a top level college linebackers neck to use one all night, ymmv, but after a broken neck, not me....

Best to you. VR

I've used the Flir M24 that competed with MTM. Have 1.
I've used the MTM. Have more than one.
I've used the breach. Dont have any.
None of these are clip ons.

I'm not quite as rabid as Eliteuas (no offense Brother) against the breach. It's not the same mil quality as the first two I mention. Absolutely not.
Works fine for what it is and what you pay for it, but it's not jarhead tough.

Only problem with the MTM is the majority dont have a paper trail. Most are former U.S. Gov property that went awol.
When it dies, it's a paperweight. Nothing else.
Mine were contractor company purchase and came with the original papers, yay for me on paperweight vs a good deal.
Even then, Insight is not real friendly on servicing them.
Let the buyer beware...

I have zero experience with the Tilo. It looks pretty good. If I was starting over I would look very seriously at these.

I love the MTM for helmet use. The IR patrol is horrible big, heavy, bulky, clunky, on a helmet and you need a top level college linebackers neck to use one all night, ymmv, but after a broken neck, not me....

Best to you. VR

I've personally handed MTM's to well-dressed visitors, so I know of what this man speaks. :cry:

One day... I'll write a book and you can read all about it.

I've seen things, man. Scary things. ;)

The guys in nice suits are like just doing their jobs, but, so lacking in sense of humor. It's like they take a special class to remove ALL sense of humor.
Made the mistake of cracking a joke with them once, once mind you, not gonna repeat that again.
That.... was scary.
The walk in from the parking lot to the CID interview room was neat, until the door clicked....
The walk out was a relief.... and as we left, one of the guys cracked a smirk, so, we knew he was hiding that sense of humah....

And I was just a witness.....

Guy tried to sell a boat load of stuff, and we helped recover it, 33 miles off post. In of all places, a Lowes parking lot. That was a most uncomfortable day. Did the guy still have the M4's, yes or no. Did he have any loaded Mags... hmmm.
Normally we crack jokes to ease the tension, and we found out those suit guys dont..... until after it's over, and they hang the suit up.
We drank beer, they drank high $ liquors.... with their pinkies out... (not really on the pinkie, but we tell people they did...)
I too have seen things....😏

Every time I re-watch "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou", I think about the black man on the rail cart telling them, "you will see strange things", and it reminds me....

I thought about putting a "still shot" of that scene on the wall of my office, with the "you will see strange things" quote captioned on it. Next to the quote, "Beware all ye who enter here"....

Yes, beware of buying used MTMs with the serial numbers removed, be very aware... just sayin. No matter how good a deal.

Or, you too, may see things, and experience the "where the f did their sense of humor go... "