• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Used optic for my used rifle.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
My budget will be $1200 tops. Rifle is a TRG 22. Use is recreational. Load development. I have a couple of buddies with ranges. One 600 yards on steel, the other 800 or so. I could also head over to the CMP and plink around. Might do a PSR match. Nothing serious. Mainly, I'm just an old jarhead that still likes to shoot.

Here's my short list. If I leave something out, please let me know. Opinions welcome.

Vortex Razor Gen 1. 5-20x50
SWFA HD 5-20x50 Illm.
Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x50
Bushnell 3.5-21x50 (This one might be an option "new", I saw how @gr8fuldoug was discounting them recently. I think the H59 would be the way to go here).

I'm sure there are more that I"ve failed to list but I can't seem to think of them now.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
I was very pleased with the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 I had. Not the most tactile or audible turrets compared to some, but it tracked perfectly, had glass neck and neck with my G2 Razor, nice reticle, bright illumination, and Athlon was a pleasure to deal with for any CS/Warranty work.

Not sure what they’re going for now a days, but I think I snagged mine for $1200 +/- but I don’t remember exactly...? Also, I’ve owned a couple of the Gen1 Razors and it is also a solid scope, and they can definitely be found for at or below your budget.

That's a good start to your list. Of those, I suggest the Bushnell 3.5-21x with the G3 reticle. Doug already jumped in here; he's a great vendor.

On the used market, you may also want to consider the Nghtforce SHV F1 4-14x.

Reactions: libertyman777
Thanks guys. i'm actually considering an interim scope. Right now all I have is a 4x IOR and a 10x40 Bushnell Elite Mildot. I was thinking about a first generation Vortex Viper, the 6.5-20x44 or 50 models. They can usually be had for $300 or so. Anyone owned one?

I would buy exactly what you want-whether now or later. Anything else will likely be a waste of money.

Open box Bushnell ET DMR for a little less $$$:

best bet for long run/best quality for $:
spend more for a Razor Gen 2

not a bad choice, but not quite "the middle":
PST gen2 for $700 or so

best budget choice based on what you've described:
Argos BTR for $300

I'd recommend the bottom option for you based on your budget ceiling.
I'd recommend the RG2 new for you if you were my friend.

You may find a used Gen 2 Razor for $1200, or if you stretch to 1500 could get a new Razor, Mark5hd or XTR3 from some of the forum vendors.

Reactions: Wyzrd
You may find a used Gen 2 Razor for $1200, or if you stretch to 1500 could get a new Razor, Mark5hd or XTR3 from some of the forum vendors.
I haven’t looked through the Gen2 Razor. I did get a chance to look through a Mk5. It was impressive.

L777, didn't you ask this question like 3 years ago, at least about the Cronus? Man, what happened!

Athlon Midas TAC is by far the way to go on a tight budget. You can get them below MAP.

L777, didn't you ask this question like 3 years ago, at least about the Cronus? Man, what happened!

Athlon Midas TAC is by far the way to go on a tight budget. You can get them below MAP.

Yea but maybe only a year ago. Aren’t all their scopes made in China besides the Cronus?

You can pick up a used Ares ETR and still have a lifetime warranty. I have a Cronus BTR now and there are days I wish I still had the ETR. The turrets feel better, the side focus knob and mag ring are much lighter and very smooth, and tracking was dead on. The Cronus feels more substantial, but that's just my opinion, backed up by nothing. The only thing against the ETR was the made in China thing, and that's just something that stuck in my mind and irritated me.

Yea but maybe only a year ago. Aren’t all their scopes made in China besides the Cronus?

Yes they are, but I think there are some Jap internals. Nevertheless the factory that makes the TAC and ETR had bought new state of the art CNC machinery so the quality became waaaay better than the 1st gen Ares BTR's were.

If you have preferences in reticles, or mag range, or want close focus, maybe daylite bright illume??? These are good ways to start crossing scopes off the list so the decision is less confusing.