• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

User Tips for Giraud Trimmer

shoedo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Georgia
This is a call for help for those of you who currently have a Giraud trimmer. I just ordered one and expect to take delivery within 6-8 weeks. Would you be kind enough to post some tips on how to use the machine. I realize that Mr Giraud has posted a PDF file on his site but I want some practical information from your personal experience with the machine. Please don't assume anything and provide ample detail with your information. Thanks in advance!

Re: User Tips for Giraud Trimmer

Not much to describe. Once adjusted, insert sized case, turn 180 degrees, toss in container and repeat. Adjustment is just as simple. Loosen the locknut and turn the case holder as required and tighten locknut. That's pretty much it.

The only other advice I'd give is to make sure you push the brass straight into the cutter. I have experienced an uneven chamfer when I'm not paying attention to this.

I have become a huge fan of this tool. I still don't care for case prep, but with the Giraud I don't dread it as much. As Eddie said, "Once adjusted, insert sized case, turn 180 degrees, toss in container and repeat"!

Jay

It is very simple to set-up and use, and one of the best pieces of gear for speeding up reloading.
Replace the lock-ring on the die with a Forster lock-ring, which will stay in place and makes it very simple to change to other dies.

Forster Lock-Ring

If you are doing a high volume of brass, a cotton garden glove can make it easier to handle the brass if there is resizing lube on the cases.

Give the cases a "twirl" while in the die to make sure they cut evenly.

All good tips above. It really is a simple tool to use and adjust. Changing calibers is easy. If you want to make it faster changing between calibers, dedicate one piece of brass (or the one that comes with it) for the set up of the cutter and length. Since it head spaces off the shoulder, the 308 Win holder will do 308, 7mm-08, 260, 243. Same thing for the 30-06 (will do any cases based on this round) and 300WM (7mm Mag, etc).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is very simple to set-up and use, and one of the best pieces of gear for speeding up reloading.
Replace the lock-ring on the die with a Forster lock-ring, which will stay in place and makes it very simple to change to other dies.

Forster Lock-Ring

If you are doing a high volume of brass, a cotton garden glove can make it easier to handle the brass if there is resizing lube on the cases.

</div></div>

Good idea to use locking rings, but I suggest the Hornady ones over the Forrester. The Hornady rings have flat sides which allow for the use of a regular wrench to install and remove the caseholder which is WAY better than hand tightened.

another tip... keep it clean, vacuum the shavings regularly. i have mine now going on four years, actually lost track when i bought it. two years ago i called doug giraud and complained about the bearing noise. he proceeded to scold for not keeping the shavings vacuumed regularly. apparently though the bearings are sealed the very small particles of metal can get in and tears up the bearings. he actually fixed it for FREE and delivered it personally (he was going to the state match anyway and not doing a special trip....)

i could hardly complain, between my own use and my friends borrowing it before i sent it to doug, there must have been at least 20K pieces that have been trimmed on that tool.

great product and doug is not too bad himself...

Pretty much plug and play. I would get a set of blades per each caliber along with his insert dies. It makes switching from one caliber to another caliber super easy.

The lock-ring trick seems to have caught on. The last set of caliber adapters I got from Giraud came with Hornady lock-rings and not the standard nut.

Buy a set of Skip's Shims so that you can do the final adjustments without changing the locking ring. This is especially helpful if you have more than one rifle in the same caliber.

Yep, the lock ring mod works great, well worth the $4 the things cost.

I have the meplat trimming head and holders as well, and it does a great job. I do this before pointing, and it is way easier than trimming by hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is very simple to set-up and use, and one of the best pieces of gear for speeding up reloading.

Forster Lock-Ring

</div></div>

I have done this mod and this is how I use mine. It's so easy a moron Geico cave man could do it. (I fail to understand these commercials.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REELDOC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a set of Skip's Shims so that you can do the final adjustments without changing the locking ring. This is especially helpful if you have more than one rifle in the same caliber. </div></div>

D'oh! Now <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">thats</span></span> a slick idea! I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks,

Monte

Also, slide the clear plastic window down onto the cutter housing. Do NOT force it on from the front, otherwise it will break! I broke mine yesterday for an "Ah shit, that was dumb" moment!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's so easy a moron Geico cave man could do it. (I fail to understand these commercials.)</div></div>

Cave men get it.
smile.gif

i set my cutters to brass that has been fired and resized in my dies, the piece that doug sends is a new piece of brass. i keep one with the cutter and holder. awesome setup, i trimmed 500 .223 cases tonight....

shavings!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, slide the clear plastic window down onto the cutter housing. Do NOT force it on from the front, otherwise it will break! I broke mine yesterday for an "Ah shit, that was dumb" moment! </div></div>

Better yet hold your vacuum at the top of the plastic guard while you slowly slide it down to minimize scratching of the plastic and to ease shavings cleanup.