• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Uses for 17HMR

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
Don’t have any experience with 17HMR but am thinking of getting a Tikka.
Should I be thinking heavier chassis for a practice rig (KRG) or light weight kritter gitter using an MDT HNT26 Link

Little expensive to shoot for a practice rifle. It’s a Sub 200 yard exterminator for me. Personal farthest prairie dog was killed at 285 yards. It’s a nice rifle.

66253322-A61F-4A4B-A774-1C7CFB9373C4.jpeg

Accurate rifle/round, but it is RF so finding ammo that your particular gun prefers is just like any RF, ammo lot dependent. One lot may shoot lights out, the next, not so much. Ammo is pricey, more so than the Lapua CX or Eley Black box. A popular caliber for squirrels, sage rats and pdogs as well.

Reactions: mrmarklin
I have my T1X 22LR in a bravo with weight added 14 LB total. The bravo starts out 2.9 LB, with gun and scope it weighted 11 lbs. I added a heavy arca rail and some lead shot in the butt to get it to 14 lbs. The MDT is too much money for me.
Mark

Not a popular brand but if you really just want to shoot 17 and accurately, Savage 93R17 FVXP. It’s light, threaded and you can replace the trigger with Timney, I believe, if you feel the need to.
CCI makes A17 17 gr that was designed in collaboration with this rifle. I admit it changes a little by lot too. Overall it’s 1” w/ 5 shots at 100 and 1.3” x 10. Also it’s $300 and ammo is available although pricey if it’s for range finder as others have said. This is a target from the other day. 🍻
FEEFD77F-362B-4B9D-95FA-C72DF75A564D.jpeg

Reactions: mrtoyz
I do have a T1x in 22 already. Been thinking I was going to put that in a KRG until I started think about the 17. I figure one will be a trainer and one a kritter gitter. I guess with the extra power the 17 would probably be the better kritter killer. Thoughts?

I have had several old Marlin 917 VS rifles, and while they are ugly, and the triggers are terrible, they shoot lights-out. I shoot sub-MOA groups @ 200 with mine regularly using Hornady 17gr VMax and 20gr JHP ammo.

How I ended up with 2, I bought one, it got stolen, I replaced it with another one, the stolen one was recovered, so I ended up with 2 of them. So I gave the recovered one to my dad.

I have a Savage 93R17, heavy barrel, threaded from the factory with a gray laminate stock, it's a good critter getter IMO. A 22lr will knock squirrels out of a tree for less $$, but at a shorter range. Numerous comments say the 17hmr is good out to 100 yds or even further depending on the critter. I plan on taking it on a sage rat trip later this yr for the 100 yd shots and less, but I will probably try to extend the range for giggles and to see how good I can shoot it as well.

I do have a T1x in 22 already. Been thinking I was going to put that in a KRG until I started think about the 17. I figure one will be a trainer and one a kritter gitter. I guess with the extra power the 17 would probably be the better kritter killer. Thoughts?
My kritter killer is a T3X lite in 223. The 17 would be a better killer than a 22
Mark

I used to be really into the 17hmr, but my 2 rifles are breach single shots. Reason is b/c I personally think single shots are the most accurate and “to me” a 17hmr is all about the accuracy consistently.

I got mine in 1999 and 2003 or 04

New England arms & custom contender G2 match from bullberry

I found this video of the tikka T1X MTR. Definitely cool but this guy changed the chassis on it and talks about how the mags don’t function good

And even back in 2003 that was always the issue with a 17 in a bolt format

Anyway, I realize that single shots are not what most people want but my contender custom is a same hole shooter with hornady 17 & 20 grain

His tikka in the vid does shoot H-XTP 20 grainers really good

And, I don’t shoot my 17s much anymore b/c I got bored, however it is a devastating wound on an animal and fun the do 100yard+ difficult shots

I once shot a buzzard while it was hovering above me (lucky shot but brought it down)

Reactions: mrtoyz
What are you looking to shoot? I wouldn’t grab it for coyote but everything up to that it’s point and click to around 175 yards.

Really it’s a nice rifle to have, it won’t replace a 223 but is worth it to bring along when shooting prairie dogs. If you have pests to kill on a property it’s also a great option. Suppressed the thing sounds like a pellet gun.

A 22lr does not compare. 50 yards with a 22 is like 150 with the 17hmr.

Reactions: mrmarklin
I have a side business shooting Rock Chucks, they are a the same as wood chuck, or ground hog. The 17 HMR is a fantastic chuck round. I normally carry three guns in the truck when I am on the job. I have an air rifle for close stuff. The 17 HMR for shots between 50 and 150. Then I use a 17 Hornet from 150 yards out to 400. After the pups come out I will use the 17 HMR to get the adults then use the air rifle to wipe out the rest. The 17 HMR is what I do the bulk of shooting on adults with. I have removed over 1600 chucks in the last 4 years.

The guy who lets me hunt on his ranch uses a 17HMR to kill hogs. He primarily uses it when he is contracted to take them out on local golf courses. Hard to believe but he says it does the job with headshots and vital shots. Says at most they make it 50 yards before falling down. I'm still skeptical so I bought a t1x and gonna try for myself haha.

Reactions: Aescobar17
I have a side business shooting Rock Chucks, they are a the same as wood chuck, or ground hog. The 17 HMR is a fantastic chuck round. I normally carry three guns in the truck when I am on the job. I have an air rifle for close stuff. The 17 HMR for shots between 50 and 150. Then I use a 17 Hornet from 150 yards out to 400. After the pups come out I will use the 17 HMR to get the adults then use the air rifle to wipe out the rest. The 17 HMR is what I do the bulk of shooting on adults with. I have removed over 1600 chucks in the last 4 years.

Insert my jealous face here.
I absolutely loved shooting chucks when I lived in Idaho. Miss it a lot.

Reactions: idahoron
Insert my jealous face here.
I absolutely loved shooting chucks when I lived in Idaho. Miss it a lot.

I'm doing it mostly as a side hussle. I get paid for shooting them. A couple of those pictures were my air rifle.

Attachments

• 20200509_120729.jpg
    20200509_120729.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200419_191049.jpg
    20200419_191049.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20200315_141846.jpg
    20200315_141846.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
  • 20190510_114714.jpg
    20190510_114714.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200425_161538.jpg
    20200425_161538.jpg
    949.7 KB · Views: 149
I used to be really into the 17hmr, but my 2 rifles are breach single shots. Reason is b/c I personally think single shots are the most accurate and “to me” a 17hmr is all about the accuracy consistently.

I got mine in 1999 and 2003 or 04

New England arms & custom contender G2 match from bullberry

I found this video of the tikka T1X MTR. Definitely cool but this guy changed the chassis on it and talks about how the mags don’t function good

And even back in 2003 that was always the issue with a 17 in a bolt format

Anyway, I realize that single shots are not what most people want but my contender custom is a same hole shooter with hornady 17 & 20 grain

His tikka in the vid does shoot H-XTP 20 grainers really good

And, I don’t shoot my 17s much anymore b/c I got bored, however it is a devastating wound on an animal and fun the do 100yard+ difficult shots

I once shot a buzzard while it was hovering above me (lucky shot but brought it down)

The .17 HMR cartridge wasn't even invented until 2002...

• Haha
Reactions: Aescobar17
The .17 HMR cartridge wasn't even invented until 2002...
Yeah I thought about that when I replied. I was just trying to remember when I got the New England arms rifle and yeah it would have been right around the time they came out

I just seemed to have this memory of it being late 90s but 2002ish is right. So, the bull berry I may have got in 05 or 06

I can remember that a box of hornady 50 rounds was 8.99$ to 9.99 when I got that New England. I remember getting a case of it.

Just curious, what’s the pay like for shooting them?

I’d do it for free 😄

I’m a plumber by trade, we built a new house for a farmer - he’s got quite a bit of property, at-least for around this area, and after talking to him he gave me an open invitation to shoot groundhogs, I’ve been there twice and walked a few with the .17hmr, it’s a great time. Wish I had more time to do it! I originally asked about coyote hunting his property and he said he likes the coyotes cause it keeps the groundhog population down, I told him I can partner up with the coyotes on this one 😆

^^^you know that’s like a lot of guys dream. To have a big hunk of land to blast hogs on. Must be nice and you don’t even go that much. I’d be there a lot. It’s actually illegal to shoot buzzards where I live and I don’t do it much unless one is really pissing me off

Edit: I didn’t see the pics above of the guy shooting the groundhogs. I thought you may have been referencing buzzards. Oopps

Last edited:
Just curious, what’s the pay like for shooting them?

I’d do it for free 😄

I’m a plumber by trade, we built a new house for a farmer - he’s got quite a bit of property, at-least for around this area, and after talking to him he gave me an open invitation to shoot groundhogs, I’ve been there twice and walked a few with the .17hmr, it’s a great time. Wish I had more time to do it! I originally asked about coyote hunting his property and he said he likes the coyotes cause it keeps the groundhog population down, I told him I can partner up with the coyotes on this one 😆

I get paid 5 dollars each. I have single days where I shoot 60 chucks. Some of the places I hunt I am required to shoot an air rifle. The farmers just don't want any possibility of a stray bullet. Since I started about 4 years ago they farmers have loosened restrictions on my shooting because they know me and know what I do. I have bought my 17HMR, My 17 Hornet, My Suppressor, and my Bergara BMR with the proceeds of chuck shooting.
I mostly use a pop up blind when I am shooting with air guns.

Qr3CBah.jpg

They don't know I am there. In the picture above you can see cattle and pipes. There is a home about in every direction. The air rifle was the only reason I got the jobs I have. In this picture you can see the damage these chucks do.

YnVzYnh.jpg

This picture is a classic reason I get these jobs. This plum packing shed had 80 rock chucks in it. The farmer allowed me to shoot into the shed because they were taking out the foundation in the cement floor areas of the shed. I typically don't shoot over 30 yards in this spot.

a7MNBtO.jpg

eZi7nRg.jpg

Shooting chucks at the end of water lines is another spot the air rifle really helps out.

xp3513o.jpg

In my area one farmer tells another and then another. I have a few dairy barns that I shoot for as well. One Dairy gives me free milk and Ice cream,

dsnoMTL.jpg

fHkRiBF.jpg

I have people that hire me to kill skunks. I typically get 20 bucks for these. I am busy almost every night with them.

oQGrUuc.jpg

16fmTRu.jpg

VCmiwkw.jpg

hKJ6Ifz.jpg

I use my 17 HMR a lot in areas I can safely use it. In these pictures I got a call from a little girl named Mae that my wife and I used to baby sit. She was in a Rock Chuck hunting derby. She asked if I could help her got some. The contest is the two largest chucks for the weekend wins a pile of money. Then there are prizes after that.

nTX1DSg.jpg

I don't do the contests my self. The reason I don't is because for me to allow a chuck to get big, like over 12 pounds, I have to let that chuck eat the farmers crops. To me that goes against what I am doing to help them. But I did know one place that borders a farm I hunt. That farmer has a lot of chucks but he was not on my list. So I asked him if I could go in there and get some. He couldn't pay but he allowed us permission. I had saw a chuck there that I called the "cocker spaniel" he was huge. We set up at 50 yards. I told her we would sit in the blind until we got him. When he finally came out she shot him in the head and I ran to the hole to make sure it didn't flop back down the hole. That chuck went 16 pounds. We tried all day for another 10+ pound chuck but they just didn't come out. She got second place and won a Savage 243 rifle. The 17HMR is a awesome chuck gun.

e9B8tPD.jpg

xrJVh7f.jpg

This thread is awesome. Love the pictures and thanks for sharing insight about each of them.

I get paid 5 dollars each. I have single days where I shoot 60 chucks. Some of the places I hunt I am required to shoot an air rifle. The farmers just don't want any possibility of a stray bullet. Since I started about 4 years ago they farmers have loosened restrictions on my shooting because they know me and know what I do. I have bought my 17HMR, My 17 Hornet, My Suppressor, and my Bergara BMR with the proceeds of chuck shooting.
I mostly use a pop up blind when I am shooting with air guns.

Qr3CBah.jpg

They don't know I am there. In the picture above you can see cattle and pipes. There is a home about in every direction. The air rifle was the only reason I got the jobs I have. In this picture you can see the damage these chucks do.

YnVzYnh.jpg

This picture is a classic reason I get these jobs. This plum packing shed had 80 rock chucks in it. The farmer allowed me to shoot into the shed because they were taking out the foundation in the cement floor areas of the shed. I typically don't shoot over 30 yards in this spot.

a7MNBtO.jpg

eZi7nRg.jpg

Shooting chucks at the end of water lines is another spot the air rifle really helps out.

xp3513o.jpg

In my area one farmer tells another and then another. I have a few dairy barns that I shoot for as well. One Dairy gives me free milk and Ice cream,

dsnoMTL.jpg

fHkRiBF.jpg

I have people that hire me to kill skunks. I typically get 20 bucks for these. I am busy almost every night with them.

oQGrUuc.jpg

16fmTRu.jpg

VCmiwkw.jpg

hKJ6Ifz.jpg

I use my 17 HMR a lot in areas I can safely use it. In these pictures I got a call from a little girl named Mae that my wife and I used to baby sit. She was in a Rock Chuck hunting derby. She asked if I could help her got some. The contest is the two largest chucks for the weekend wins a pile of money. Then there are prizes after that.

nTX1DSg.jpg

I don't do the contests my self. The reason I don't is because for me to allow a chuck to get big, like over 12 pounds, I have to let that chuck eat the farmers crops. To me that goes against what I am doing to help them. But I did know one place that borders a farm I hunt. That farmer has a lot of chucks but he was not on my list. So I asked him if I could go in there and get some. He couldn't pay but he allowed us permission. I had saw a chuck there that I called the "cocker spaniel" he was huge. We set up at 50 yards. I told her we would sit in the blind until we got him. When he finally came out she shot him in the head and I ran to the hole to make sure it didn't flop back down the hole. That chuck went 16 pounds. We tried all day for another 10+ pound chuck but they just didn't come out. She got second place and won a Savage 243 rifle. The 17HMR is a awesome chuck gun.

e9B8tPD.jpg

xrJVh7f.jpg
Is that a Weihrauch HW97K? Regardless, what caliber? Pretty cool! I’ve got a HW30S that I’ve barely used but it’s fun.

To answer the subject line of the post, I will say a 17 HMR into a troublesome pigeon has been one of the most satisfying hits in my varminting career. “PUFF!” and an explosion of feathers.

For hunting, I don’t really see a need for a chassis unless you just like chassis systems. I prefer wood in all weather, but especially when it’s cold.

Reactions: FN15
Well similar to Idahon.

We use the 17hmr when hunting ground squirrels for farmers and they only want rimfires near their pivot lines.

I’ve have 300+ squirrel days (we don’t get paid but they let us hunt for free).

This year if the weather cooperates (spring rains can ruin a hunt) I am taking more 22lrs and air rifles.

The 17hmr really shines with follow up shots and not needing to dope/Kentucky windage.

Lots of times you have 1 squirrel at ~ 75 yards and another at ~ 100. The 17hmr is more forgiving on just holding a body shot at either distance and shooting. Especially when they start to break for cover.

Reactions: carbonbased
Mine is an Air Arms TX200 22 cal. That rifle has opened up a lot of opportunity for me
Hmmmm, you’ve gotten me to look at more powerful springer air guns. My .22 HW30 is really only for very close birds. Couldn’t even kill a little ground squirrel at 20yds with it.

I do like the lighter weight and (supposedly?) easier loading of break barrels. Looking at the HW98 or HW95…

@idahoron those skunk pictures bring back some fond memories. If I’m killing skunks I’m packing the leaf blower for packaging!

• Haha
Hmmmm, you’ve gotten me to look at more powerful springer air guns. My .22 HW30 is really only for very close birds. Couldn’t even kill a little ground squirrel at 20yds with it.

I do like the lighter weight and (supposedly?) easier loading of break barrels. Looking at the HW98 or HW95…
The TX 200 is a heavy rifle, It is over 11 pounds. The TX200 is not a fast or powerful rifle. Mine is at 664 fps with a 14.66 gr pellet. About 14 FPE. The reason I can take chucks as big as I do it brain shots. The TX200 is super easy to rebuild and does not require a spring compressor. I rebuilt mine after about 8000 rounds.

Reactions: carbonbased
The guy who lets me hunt on his ranch uses a 17HMR to kill hogs. He primarily uses it when he is contracted to take them out on local golf courses. Hard to believe but he says it does the job with headshots and vital shots. Says at most they make it 50 yards before falling down. I'm still skeptical so I bought a t1x and gonna try for myself haha.
I’ve killed a few truckloads of hogs with 17 HMR. None have ever taken a step when I’m behind the rifle. I’ve had a few run off and die in the brush with the wife behind it. Most of my shots are 110-125 yds due to the feeder I shoot most of them on. Right behind the ear with the 17 is a light switch for them.