• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using 6.5x47L dies to form 6.5 Super LR?

RyeDaddy

Dickhole
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Hellbound in Fort Worth, TX
Any of the 6.5 SLR guys here use a 6.5x47 Lapua FL die to form 6.5 SLR out of 243? Work ok? Can I use the seater also?

I have the Redding Type-S FL set for 6.5 SLR, but would prefer to have a regular non bushing FL die for forming brass from 243. I have an expander mandrel to neck up, but am getting crazy runout on the case neck after forming with the Redding bushing die, and bullet runout is even worse after seating. Tried all different things, but it's still there from the sizer. Once the brass is fired it's fine from there, but newly formed brass is all over the place for runout.

Wished like hell I could get a regular FL die from Forster, but they won't do custom jobs right now. Light finally came on in my head today that the Super LR is really a 260 with the neck and shoulder of the 6.5x47 Lapua, why not just order a Forster 6.5x47 FL and give it a whirl and see if it fixes forming runout?

Anybody else do this? Truth be told I'd like to order the Forster seater too if it will work. I'd like to compare prints between the two for body taper, but can't find a 6.5x47 print with my meager Google skills. If anything the x47 should have less taper which I don't think will affect forming a shoulder at all on the 6.5 SLR.

How 'bout it, gents? I know there's probably only 5 people on this forum shooting a 6.5 SLR but here's hoping.

Back to page 1 it goes. I ordered the Forster Ultra FL 2-die 6.5x47Lapua set from Sinclair. We'll see how it goes when they arrive. Still looking to hear anyone's opinion on whether this is a bad idea or not, the logic seems sound to me.

You probably have already but accurate shooter is a pretty good source for some of the wildcat bench rest calibers. I'm sure there are several guys on there that have been down the road your on.

Update for those who may search and find this in the future: It works! Runout is still in the 0.005" range using the 6.5x47L dies, but it's consistent, and it is definitely an improvement over using the bushing dies for forming.

New Winchester 243 brass straight from the bag shows runout in the 0.003"-0.007 range. The Sinclair expander mandrel adds 0.001" or less to the original reading.

With the Redding FL bushing sizer I would get readings anywhere from 0.003" to 0.012" runout on formed cases, and it was totally random. Tried locking the bushing, letting it float, lubing the hell out of cases, expander, no expander, floating carbide expander. Nothing changed results much.

Forster FL sizing dies I thought would correct the runout that was present from the factory on the brass, but it doesn't entirely. I'm using the sizer with the expander in place. Results are consistent at around 0.005" runout on every case and I can live with that for unfired cases. Neck turning would probably help, but I don't want to bother. No matter what runout measured the rifle has NEVER made a group larger than 0.9 MOA at 200 yards, even with loads it doesn't like in bad conditions so I'm not going to chase it.

Case dimensions measure the same using either die set, so it appears the neck/shoulder dimensions are exactly the same between the two cartridges.

Hmmm. Didn't realize the x47 die would work.

I'm late to the party, but 6XC works just fine also.

If you own a Giraud, use the shellholder for XC (or I guess x47) to trim your SLR cases. You may need to drill them out for the casenecks to fit through.