• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes using a 10x zoom out to 1000m ?

The_AKD

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2010
for the ones who shoot out to 1000m do any of you use a 10x or what do you recommend ?

Re: using a 10x zoom out to 1000m ?

Depends on what size/type target you want to shoot at. Ive used a 15x at 900m which is about 14m shy of 1000yds. Could use a 10x if you had a man sized target or a very noticable aiming mark.

That 15x was at a 4" Orange clay target. Could just make it out.

Works fine for general shooting would not be my first choice for competition shooting.

what kind of zoom do you look at for comp shooting ?

Ive bean shooting my hole life and always keen on tight groups but never really past 700m. I started hand loading about 1.5yrs ago and now just sold my 308 for a new one ( Remington 700 5R Millspec) Im looking for a good pice of glass.... not wanting to sound cheep but in the $800 range... Anyway thx, Im sure ill upgrade again in the future but for now im hoping to have something that can help me on my way.

I have a NF NXS 5.5-22 that I use on all my rifles. I only use 22x to spot hits. I found that I like 11x, even for 1000 yard shooting. However, its summertime, and part of my motivation for the lower zoom is mirage.

I found that anything over 500 yards required a higher power scope than 10X. At least for me. I would get a NightForce 5.5-22X NXS for 1000 yards.

Quickoz said it well above. I shoot 3/4 scale IPSC Steel targets and 10X works fine. If your looking for small groups and bulls eye targets you will want more magnification. Take a hard look at this Vortex. http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13285.aspx Excellent value, good warranty and well under your price. If you want a 10X look at the Supper Sniper 10HD it is right on your budget and they give 10% off right now for Hide members. Use code SSHIDE. You may want to wait until the Vortex PST scope become available. A little more money but mil/mil FFP features.

Aiming at license-plate sized or bigger targets at 1000 yds is no problem with 10x scope. Smaller than that and you will probably want more power.

I have a 6.5-20x Viper on my 308 1000yd gun and it usually sits around 12x, which I find to be optimal. I wish I had gone with the 4-16 or 3.5-15 type power range since I rarely use the higher mag and I like the wider field of view at lower powers.

I also have a 10x supersniper on another rifle and its no trouble to get it to 1000 yds aiming at license-plate sized targets (hitting them is another story!). A 12x12 plate is quite a challenge at 1k and 10x power will be able to put you on that as an aiming point no problem. If you desire to shoot clay pidgeons that far away then you'll need more magnification.

If you're purchasing a scope I'd look more closely at the 3.5-14x or 4-16x ranges for 1000yds and under, and save the 5.5-22x or 6-24x ranges for longer shooting.

For my needs, I try to define my entire mission before deciding to spend hard earned money on a good scope. This means consideration for the full range of my shooting.

One factor that must be considered is the thickness of the reticle at max power when shooting small targets at 1000. Larger targets are obviously easier to see. I have shot 10" X 17" steel targets at 1050, using a USO 3.2-17X. It is no problem to see the target, but, the Horus H-25 reticle I ordered is relatively thick and obscured most of the target. With a finer reticle, you can "quarter" the target clearly and break the shot cleaner. I had the good fortune to shoot Vern Harrison's original "flea" scope on 18X with a very fine floating center dot on the same target, and the difference was very notable.

10X at 1000 lessens the reticle thickness with FFP (another consideration) but makes the small target harder to see. I just got a USO 1.8-19X for my new LMT 308, and I have the same concern as you. I got the JNG Mil reticle, which John III at USO told me was finer than one of the other mil reticles I asked about. My mission right now makes it an 800 yard rifle, but I am certainly going to test it out to 1000. You also need to consider how close you will be shooting. My 16" 308, although not a "battle rifle" in my mind, does lend itself to faster close in shots than a 24" bolt gun and a low bottom magnification was necessary for my mission.

Again, your mission will define the magnification required; larger targets allow a lower magnification. The reticle thickness is still a key factor and one that I don't hear a lot of discussion on.

When they can make a 1-15X that is usable in close with both eyes open, the perfect scope for my mission with a 16" 308 will be at hand. I won't hold my breath.

Personally, IMHO, The 3.5-15x50 NXS is a perfect scope for a 308 for shooting to 1000 - 1200m. Ive shot it to 1219m on a mates rifles and the scope performed great. I dont think you want more then that on a 308, a 300WM that can take you to 1500m would be fine with a 5.5-22x. But that is just my opinion. I am young and as such has younger eyes (even with my really bad eye sight corrected).

I use two 10x scope myself but I do recommend using a little more magnification if this is going to be your primary rifle or only rifle.

I love my 10x scopes.

Leupold Mark-4 10x
REM_223.jpg

USO CST-ST10s
P1040832-1-1.jpg

Mike @ CST

I have used a 1.8-10 SN-3 scope out to 1000, i was able to make out the targets ok. So I would say that it can be done, that being said I just went up to the 3.2-17 SN-3 and the extra magnification is much appreciated. Just my .02