• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using a Bushing die without a bushing

mason.ostrom

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Ive been having issues with my FL bushing die causing doughnuts in my 6.5x47 brass, and as a possible solution I had an idea. Could I use my FL bushing die without a bushing, essentially making it a body + shoulder bump die, and then neck size in a different step? Im thinking lee collet neck die? Your thoughts are welcome and any anticipated issues would be good to know about before I try this. Thanks,
Mason

Three things I've seen cause that for me:
  1. Not annealing
  2. Bushing is too small
  3. Not enough lube

Three things I've seen cause that for me:
  1. Not annealing
  2. Bushing is too small
  3. Not enough lube
Interesting. I anneal after every firing, I was using a bushing that gave me about .002 neck tension without the exapander ball. Come to think of it though, I dont usually lube the case necks, just the body of the case. Ill have to see what that might do for me.

Interesting. I anneal after every firing, I was using a bushing that gave me about .002 neck tension without the exapander ball. Come to think of it though, I dont usually lube the case necks, just the body of the case. Ill have to see what that might do for me.
Lube on the neck for a FL bushing die is really important. You might find that solves the problem. Good luck.

BTW ... I mandrel after FL sizing, and don't use the expander ball. Works well for me.

Lube on the neck for a FL bushing die is really important. You might find that solves the problem. Good luck.

BTW ... I mandrel after FL sizing, and don't use the expander ball. Works well for me.
I usually mandrel after FL sizing and dont use the ball as well, but in trying to eliminate the doughnut issue, Ive been trying a lot of other things lately.

I usually mandrel after FL sizing and dont use the ball as well, but in trying to eliminate the doughnut issue, Ive been trying a lot of other things lately.
I'll bet you a nickel that a good neck-lube will solve that problem. Before FL sizing, I line up my brass standing on a cookie sheet, and spray down at a 45-degree angle in all four directions with Hornady One-Shot Case Lube Spray. That has the added benefit of also getting inside the neck to make mandrel'ing much easier as well.

I use a LCND and don’t get donuts.
^^^^^ This^^^^^. Use the bushing F/L sizer for the case body (W/O the bushing installed) and then use a Lee Collet N/O sizing die. This makes very accurate ammo with very low runout.

I use the LCND first , then use the F/L bushing die W/O the bushing just so not to change the shoulder bump measurement.

A Lee CND die is cheap. Try one.

Reactions: mason.ostrom
Great ... BTW ... the mandrel set from 21st Century is awesome, and allowed me to test and use the very best mandrel for the neck tension that gave me the best accuracy. Kind of expensive ... but worth it IMHO.

Yes, the further I go down the rabbit hole the more I believe the full set is the way to go. I reckon the full set coupled with a set of pin gauges to verify would be pretty foolproof.

I plan to anneal every firing (AMP) so it will be interesting for me to see if I pretty much settle on one mandrel or if I will need to progress to different sizes as time wears on.

Yes, the further I go down the rabbit hole the more I believe the full set is the way to go. I reckon the full set coupled with a set of pin gauges to verify would be pretty foolproof.

I plan to anneal every firing (AMP) so it will be interesting for me to see if I pretty much settle on one mandrel or if I will need to progress to different sizes as time wears on.
Projectiles vary slightly ... what I've found works is to accurately measure the diameter of the projectile I'm using, and employ the mandrel that is 2/1000's smaller that that size. Never needed a pin-gauge, but I suppose it would never hurt to use one. I started with the caliber-specific LE Wilson Mandrel die, but quickly realized that "One size doesn't fit all", and got the 21st Century set, which works much better (for me at least). Bottom line ... the mandrel I use is more about the projectile, than the case. I size the neck "down" with a bushing die, and then "out" with the right mandrel that's 2/1000's smaller than the projectile I'm using. Fun stuff ... keeps my brain busy.