• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Using a cantilever mount backwards on a bolt gun

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Anyone do it? Any reason not to? My gorilla arms need a long LOP which my stock can accomodate but standard rings and bases can't so I run out of eye relief. I just freed up an ADM Recon so it'll have the strength. Thoughts?

Re: Using a cantilever mount backwards on a bolt gun

No expert, but I dont see why not if it will fit AND accomplish what you need.

If you have the part already, I vote try it and report back.

What rifle? I ask because EGW makes this one for Remington rifles.

40040-40142.jpg

You might be able to sweet-talk them into making one for another action. If not, show this picture to the guys at Murphy Precision . They advertise custom scope bases at reasonable prices.

Personally, I doubt the ADM will work for you. Way too tall for anything but an AR-10 or AR-15 platform, which (unlike bolt rifles) is designed with a buttstock that is more in-line behind the receiver. This in-line design creates the need for taller sights and scope mounts, hence the gazillions of one-piece scope mounts available for the AR platform with a 1.4" - 1.5" center-line height above the receiver. By comparison, the average bolt-rifle uses only a 1.0" - 1.2" center-line height and <span style="font-style: italic">still</span> usually requires additional height on the comb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What rifle? I ask because EGW makes this one for Remington rifles.

40040-40142.jpg

You might be able to sweet-talk them into making one for another action. If not, show this picture to the guys at Murphy Precision . They advertise custom scope bases at reasonable prices.

Personally, I doubt the ADM will work for you. Way too tall for anything but an AR-10 or AR-15 platform, which (unlike bolt rifles) is designed with a buttstock that is more in-line behind the receiver. This in-line design creates the need for taller sights and scope mounts, hence the gazillions of one-piece scope mounts available for the AR platform with a 1.4" - 1.5" center-line height above the receiver. By comparison, the average bolt-rifle uses only a 1.0" - 1.2" center-line height and <span style="font-style: italic">still</span> usually requires additional height on the comb. </div></div>

It's a Savage rifle in an XLR chassis. Adapting is just a hex key away. It already wears an $80 base and I'd prefer not to replace it when I have a $200 mount sitting in the safe with no home.

If I can't make the ADM work, then I'll stick with the setup I have. It good, it's just not 100% of what I want it to be.

The height could be the breaker. But as long as the mount does not have any MOA built in it should work. Are you sure that if you mount the rings all the way back on the rail it won't work?

I was wondering about the height as well. Neat idea, but it goes against the "as low to the barrel as possible" rule. Hey, if it works for your cheek weld no reason not to. Let us know how it works if you decide to try it.

For visual reference, this is what I'm working with. The stock can compensate for the added height. I understand I'll lose a couple mils of adjustment but as it sits I can get to 1k so holding a couple mils is an option.

This is the mount in question

A buddy just mounted a LaRue SPR mount backwards on his SCAR-17 in order to put the locking levers on the right side. It sighted in with no issues. Initial POI was about a foot low with a used MK 4 MR/T. (Maybe this is significant, maybe not).

But (as you know) these mounts put the center of the scope ~2.5" above the top of the rail. Only one way to find out if it will work for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone do it?</div></div>

If you do a Google Image search for "MARSOC sniper" the second image that comes up shows one being used.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/marsoc/MSOS/Pages/MASC.aspx

I don't know any specifics about this as I have never tried it, but you can see how high he has the check rest raised. I don't know why it would not maintain a zero.