• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

using a laser for diagnosis

cinosbus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
St. Charles, MO
I'm looking for a decent laser that will mount on many different firearms and live for a while. Cheap is OK, as it doesn't really have to hold zero well or even adjust well.

I want it to mount up to illustrate NPA, breathing, etc and to diagnose anticipating a shot and poor trigger control.

Anybody use one like this? Have a recommendation of a model?

That centerpoint at Wal-Mart for $30 looks adequate for what I'm doing, but the mounting is weaver or groove only, not as adaptable as some I've seen that will clamp onto a barrel or scope tube.

Re: using a laser for diagnosis

I think for what your trying to do the ones that go inside the bore would probably be the best way to go. However, it may be more beneficial to use a good old fashioned dime drill. Using a laser instantly makes a person aware of what they are doing wrong, but it also redirects their focus away from what they should be focusing on. The sights or reticle. Lasers defintely have their place but I wouldn't use one for the purpose your thinking of. However, there may be plenty of others who have/do and like it. We had a guy up at 5th RTB who couldn't hit the wideside of a barn, his TL was using a laser like your talking about and everything was good until you took him out to the range. A few hours of dime drills after getting a new TL and he was good to go. Aparantly some Drill Sargeant's had decided that a laser was better than a dime drill, but it doesnt work for everybody.

Re: using a laser for diagnosis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cinosbus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a decent laser that will mount on many different firearms and live for a while. Cheap is OK, as it doesn't really have to hold zero well or even adjust well.

I want it to mount up to illustrate NPA, breathing, etc and to diagnose anticipating a shot and poor trigger control.

Anybody use one like this? Have a recommendation of a model?

That centerpoint at Wal-Mart for $30 looks adequate for what I'm doing, but the mounting is weaver or groove only, not as adaptable as some I've seen that will clamp onto a barrel or scope tube.</div></div>

What you want is not what you need for proper shooter/target analysis. What you need is the student to follow through, while focusing on the front sight, and pulling the trigger using smooth trigger control. After the student executes the firing tasks, you can ask, how did that shot look? The student's call will tell you everything you need to know for effective/efficient trouble shooting.

Being able to call the shot is paramount to becoming a good shooter. It is essential to perfecting marksmanship. The laser is a distraction in that it competes for attention which should be focused instead literally on the sight. In other words, although useful for intuitive training, the laser is not a substitute or aid to shooter/target analysis. In fact, it thwarts learning, taking time away from what's really important.

Calling the shot will identify the source/s of error such as NPA, trigger control, sight adjustment, and follow through. When coupled to the pattern of shots on the target, the shooter can come to a very quick understanding for the source/s of errors and be able right then and there to correct them. This right then and there correction serves to help advancement of learning. It makes the practice session more meaningful.