• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using a stock bedded for another rifle

psdan000

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
Ohio
I have a Rem 700 .223 barreled action that I want to drop into an HS precision stock that has been previously bedded for another rifle. The BA fits in there, but its super tight, to me it almost seems too tight. The stock was on a rifle that had a trued action and heavier recoil lug, this current barreled action is factory. I was thinking the few thousandths taken off the receiver face would help leave some extra room but it doesn't appear to be the case. Should I expect any issues with this? I should probably send it out to be fixed but it's just a hunting rifle and function is more important than superb accuracy. Thanks for the help.

Take it out for a test run.
If it shoots to your satisfaction, shoot it as is.
It can't hurt anything as long as you don't plan on returning the stock to the original barreled action it was bedded for.

Reactions: Modoc
It may shoot just fine . Not sure what is tight on it , but I would make sure the recoil lug is not bottoming out . If it does not shoot well removing some bedding is enough to grind out and bed again .

Thanks for the replies, I suppose I will shoot it and see what it does. I've done a lot of tinkering with guns over the years but would not consider myself a gunsmith by any means and bedding is one of those things I have never tried to do and to be honest I probably wouldn't try to mess with.

Reactions: Haney
Thanks for the replies, I suppose I will shoot it and see what it does. I've done a lot of tinkering with guns over the years but would not consider myself a gunsmith by any means and bedding is one of those things I have never tried to do and to be honest I probably wouldn't try to mess with.
It’s not really as hard as it seems at first blush. Watch a couple YouTube vids on it and soldier forward. I did my first one years ago and wasn’t sure, but it turned out perfect. It made a huge difference in how that rifle shot. Under $50 for the best supplies that can be used again.

Just spend the most time doing prep, masking and applying release agent (shoe polish in my case). That’s where the difference lies between a crap job and a great finished product.

Tight is only really bad when it prevents the action from being installed at all.

Shoot it.

"If it ain't broke...; don't fix it...".

Greg

Reactions: psdan000