• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

using AA2230 for 69gr. smk

Nicksoore

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
looking for pet loads for aa2230 with 69 gr smk or does any one use it with any success?

rifle Savage 223 1-9 twist

still have a lb. of aa2230 left from my AR

Re: using AA2230 for 69gr. smk

I'd save that powder for something else, ive got 2 savages same twist and they both love 24.3 grains of 2520.

23.2 grains. It loads just like TAC although hits pressure a little sooner...

Also it is VERY temp sensitive so if you develop a load when it's 40 degrees out that load is a shotgun at 80 degrees

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rweaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd save that powder for something else, ive got 2 savages same twist and they both love 24.3 grains of 2520. </div></div>

Yeah, 2230 is better suited to the 55s and lighter, as it's a bit fast.

varget, RL-15, IMR-4895, et al, are better for the 69s.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also it is VERY temp sensitive so if you develop a load when it's 40 degrees out that load is a shotgun at 80 degrees </div></div>

Very true...I use IMR 8208 XBR now for loads I know I will be shooting in diferent temperature ranges. It is ouststandingly consistant....from 25-100 degrees POI changed less than an inch and groups stayed consistantly tight. I use this powder now for what ever I can. I've even loaded some .308 stuff with it and although it approaches the pressure limits I have shot max loads in 100+ temps with no over pressure indications.

If you are set on AA2230 I would suggest you go to the Accurate web sight and check their load data. They also have 5.56 load data atthe bottom of the .223 section. I use data from this section for my loads. ***DISCLAIMER*** <span style="font-style: italic">All data should be verified and all loads should be worked up to from minnimum loads. </span> with this said my pet load for 69g SMKs is 24.5g.

guess i'll burn it up with lighter bullets for now then try another powder thanks Nick