• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using Berger Hunting bullets as an alternative to 140gn Hybrids and other difficult to locate bullets.

Grant Harris

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2023
Springfield Missouri
I am curious on more experienced individuals opinions on using Berger Hunting bullets as an alternative to their more difficult to find target bullets. I am looking to become more involved with PRS and other long range shooting.

I am just starting load development for my CTR in 6.5cm, and it seems like the 140 hybrids are the almost unanimous favorite in 6.5.

With the 140’s being so hard to find, I am curious if the 135 classic hunters would be a viable alternative for match use? I would like to stick with Berger given their great reputation and my own good experiences with them. Please let me know if this is a dumb plan or if there are better alternatives out there that are easier to find.

Thanks!

Reactions: simonp
I am curious on more experienced individuals opinions on using Berger Hunting bullets as an alternative to their more difficult to find target bullets. I am looking to become more involved with PRS and other long range shooting.

I am just starting load development for my CTR in 6.5cm, and it seems like the 140 hybrids are the almost unanimous favorite in 6.5.

With the 140’s being so hard to find, I am curious if the 135 classic hunters would be a viable alternative for match use? I would like to stick with Berger given their great reputation and my own good experiences with them. Please let me know if this is a dumb plan or if there are better alternatives out there that are easier to find.

Thanks!
The 142 SMK's I have has been as consistent and accurate as my Berger 140 hybrids. Though, they too can be a little hard to find. . . probably for the same reason.

I am curious if the 135 classic hunters would be a viable alternative for match use?
Had some Federal loaded with the 135 classic hunter and they shot great. Buy a box and try them....your barrel may/may not like them but mine def did.

I gave up on finding 140 hybrids. I had a great load too. Got to the end of my supply and they were no where to be found. I went with 139gn scenars and they seem to work just fine. The Bergers hyb. are top dog IMO but if you can't find them they are not much good.

Reactions: Grant Harris