• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Using CED M2 Crono

engineerairborne

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
So I got the CED M2 crono with the IR and got a chance to test it this weekend. For the most part I was happy, but there where a few things that I was not happy about. Now to be honest I did not read all of the instructions so that could have a little to do with it.

At first I had it setup on a picnic table with the CED on one end and my rifle on the other. I'm assuming that I was to close, because the readings where all over the place. So we set it on the ground and put it about 4 feet out from the end of the barel. For here for the most part we got good readings but every once in a while we would get a bad reading.

So I'm not sure if I need to have it out furthur, or what the best setup is for it. The second thing is that I was not very happy with how lose everything on it is. When you place the ends on the bar, they just seem to not want to stay in place, and they seem to be some what flimsy. I think that I'm going to take some wood, and make a mount for it. I purchased the mount that ced has, but that does not do much good.

Any one that has experiance with this Chrono please let me know what you have done to make it more effective for you.

Re: Using CED M2 Crono

10 ft. Read the instructions. Also, mount it on a camera tripod.

I knew that it had to be out a ways, did not figure that far. I thought about using a camera tripod, but even that seems like it would be flopping in the wind a little if you get my drift. And yes I should have read the dirrections, but my soon to be father in law is old school, and was getting a little frustrated with my techno gadgets as he likes to say. He was not very impressed that I brought a generator, and a computer, and the CED out to his little farm range. But my soon to be brother in law, how has been hand loading with me, liked the results as I did.

I will have to work on a mounting system and make sure that I have the distance right next time. Thanks for the info.

I just tried out my new CED M2 and it was MONEY! It has been rock solid so far. Only issue was it started not registering the shots at the end of the day (non-IR) as the sun was going down. It was plenty daylight but the sun angle was low adn probably was messing with the sensors. No big deal, I was almost done anyway.

Yep, set it 10 feet out on a camera tripod and it will work like a champ. I'm not sure if it will be steady in a high wind - but I'm not sure I'd be chrono'ing much if the wind is blowing that hard.

Oh and BTW - thanks to the Hide members that recommneded the CED M2. It has been a good investment and I really like the interface and ease of controls.

Is there any particular tripod you would recomend? How steady and level did you find it to be on a tripod?

10foot is not set in stone either...if you have problems at that distance, move it a bit further out...As long as you enter the correct muzzle to chrony distance in your ballistic software, you'll get the correct results.

With regards the senor units being loose...I have the ordinary sensor units on mine and if you turn them over and look on the bottom on them, you'll see a "fitting" that can be finger turned. It only needs to be tighten about 1/4 turn and it locks the sensors onto the main alloy folding "spacer bar"...

I've just bought a cheapy 19" plastic tool box for about $8, and the whole kit fits in there, inlcuding my Slik compact tripod..The tripod can be seen here:
Slik Compact XL

679d8974.jpg

If you went to a slightly larger 20" tool box, there are plenty of cheap tripods that are about 19" when folded, and they would probably be even better than the one I am using..

Stretch the cords all the way out (they can lie on ground in the middle but stretch them pretty far out). Too close will give you high readings.

Put it on a decent quality tripod with a 3 axis or ball head.

Bench your rifle with a target down range. Set the rifle so it is on the target and remove the bolt. Align the chrono to the line of the rifle. Bore sight to make sure the bullet flies right over the sensor openings, maybe 2" above them, not high in the screens.

You do all this and hopefully like me you'll get 100% reliable recordings out of yours. Oh and I do not have the IR screens and still get 100% readings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've just bouht a cheapy 19" plastic tool box for about $8, and the whole kit fits in there, inlcuding my Slik compact tripod..The tripod can be seen here:
Slik Compact XL

If you went to a slightly larger 20" tool box, there are plenty of cheap tripods that are about 19" when folded, and they would probably be even better than the one I am using.. </div></div>

That's a great idea! I've been trying to figure out how to carry it back and forth to the range. Currently, I'm just using the cardboard box it came in, but its a PITA to pack back up.

Speaking of which.... off to the range-O.

I set mine at 12-15 feet away. For magnum calibers with no brake, I go minimum 15 feet. The muzzle flash will give you bad readings when you are too close. Any tripod should work fine. I use mine prone, and the basic set up is hard to do prone. It is very tipsy since there is no real base to it. I am in the process of building a base for it to lay prone. The IR screens are awesome and will work in total darkness. I shoot a lot right at dusk, and the IR screens are needed. I'll even light up the target in the dark and shoot, and get readings everytime with the IR screens. When installing the sensors, there is a screw on the bottom to tighten them down to keep from moving. You made a great choice on the chrono!

Thank you everyone, I did not know that there where screws on the bottom of the ends. Again should have read the instructions. Yes I did like the results except for a few things, that I know where my own fault to start with.

I have an older one inch scope stand that I fabricated a mount that lets me attach the chrono skyscreens. More rigid than a tripod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an older one inch scope stand that I fabricated a mount that lets me attach the chrono skyscreens. More rigid than a tripod. </div></div>

I use a Bogen 3021 tripod and 3047 head. No scopestand on the planet is stronger than that.

For the most part I like the CED M2, what I do not like is the folding bracket that holds the sensors. My bracket broke after a gust of wind folded it up on my tripod. I made a solid one out of a 1"sq tubing that will never break. I like to set my screens as far as possible away from the muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the most part I like the CED M2, what I do not like is the folding bracket that holds the sensors. My bracket broke after a gust of wind folded it up on my tripod. I made a solid one out of a 1"sq tubing that will never break. I like to set my screens as far as possible away from the muzzle. </div></div>

Did the tripod topple over or something? I ask as the hinge arrangement on mine seems reasonable robust, as much as plastic can be anyway.

One thing I do want to do is fabricate some wire loops on the feet of the tripod. I figure that way I can secure the tripod to the ground with 3 tent pegs and that make it all much steadier..

Regards,

Peter

I think that I'm going to manufacture something with a wood base that will hold the assembly more solid, then find some cheap, but good quality teliscoping legs, and mount two on each side at 45 or so angles. I think that will give me more stability, and also allow me to use it on uneven terain. Plust with a solid base to sit that whole thing on, I should not have to worry about anything bending the wrong way.

**Of course I bet I end up shooting one of the parts off after I get it all setup this way.***
smile.gif
That was all I could keep thinking about was how easy it would be to shoot legs of the skyscreen. You really have to be sure that you are lined up each and everytime.

You can hang a sandbag on a string from the center of the tripod or just run one line down from the center to a stake in the ground and it will not go over. Orient one leg in the direction the wind would blow it - that helps too. You can lay 1 sandbag on each leg and that will work as well.

I have a tripod that has a hook to hang a weight from. Never tried it, but I'm sure it would work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a tripod that has a hook to hang a weight from. Never tried it, but I'm sure it would work. </div></div>
Yep it will work great! We use a large washer with a rubber insert to tighten it down on the bipod and you can hang a weight on the bottom. We put a sand bag on the cables on the bench to keep the cables off the ground and 15' is a good ideal on the Mags, they will pick up the muzzle flash. Early in the mornings they have a tendency to pick up an error if someone is shooting on the side the sun is coming up from. Pretty good tool and hold a lot of info, much better than my chrony master in that it will not store anywhere near as much information.

Its funny, I had to eat my words today about not shooting in a lot of wind. I was at the range and it was 18 gusting to 30kts, i.e. howling like a MF'er! I was determined to finish up my load development testing once and for all - so I really needed the chrono data today. Anyway my shooting partner today was a genius as we were trying to figure out how to anchor the tripod. He had a spotting scope bag with a little web loop handle. he filled it with big rocks and hung the bag from the crank handle in the center of the tripod. The base was rock solid, but the tripod head was a bit wobbly, but mainly because it was a 20 year old camera tripod I dug out of the closet. It worked ok, but we had to occasionally reposition the screens as the sunshades became big sails in that much wind. Overall though, it recorded all shots the entire day 100%. I freaking LOVE IT!

BTW - I run the nearest screen 10 ft in front of the muzzle on both a .308 and a .223 and it seems to work just fine. If I'm understanding JBM correctly, I need to add about 5 fps to the chrono data to get true MV based on it being 10 feet away.

I shoot prone through my CED...
shootin8-23001.jpg

I stack a couple pieces of firewood on either side of the screen bases to keep it in place. Also use the infra red sky screens for consistency...