• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using funnel on progressive

EricF517

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2009
Howell, Michigan
What is everyone using on their progressives to be able to use the funnel on the powder station? I don't trust the powder dumper as I am going to be using the Chargemaster to weigh each charge.

Holy s**t you're making things complicated. A single stage press would be easier.
The only thing I can think of would be to unscrew the powder drop, then use a long tube funnel, like the Forster blue ribbon one with a 6" drop. If that is not enough, I have a homemade RCBS, that I took 3/8 ss tubing and epoxied one end, and flared the bottom for a 8" drop, works wonders on compressed loads.

Dillon makes an adapter that replaces the powder measure and fits the inner drop tube. A different powder measure or a funnel fits right in the top.

Attachments

• P1000247.jpg
    P1000247.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Whidden sells (or used to) a funnel along with his 550 & 650 tool head kits. As near as I can tell, it's one of the pink translucent Midway powder funnels with the weird square flange at the bottom machined off. It fits perfectly inside a regular Dillon powder die, and sits on the case mouth/neck just like it would normally if you had it on a case in a loading tray. When you raise the ram on the press, the case lifts the funnel slightly so you have an added visual that you do indeed have a case in that station. Not good when you dump powder there and there is no case... damhikt!

I have found that

A) If you insist one providing exquisitely precise powder charges for extended distances,

B) You had better be damned good at making wind calls, or all that extra work becomes a total waste of time.

If your LR wind skills are like mine, a Dillon Progressive Powder measure works just great, making ammo that is better than I can employ to its full advantage.

Some of us, like Monte, have it; and some of us, like me, don't...

Greg

I set my Dillon 650 up for "weighed charges" for .308 rounds. Used a Lee Universal Rifle powder die and a Lee Funnel which I cut a relief out on one side so it would clear the primer magazine tube.

Just remember, ONLY ADD POWDER WHILE LEVER IS DOWN.

Once I reached the "rhythm" I was able to load just over 100 rounds per hour according to my Press Monitor. Just put in cleaned cases and do it all on the progressive. I use Hornady One-Shot for lube and find it nice and "un-greasy". To make the rounds more uniform for OAL I have also installed the Unique-Tek tool head clamping conversion which uses screws to secure the tool head rather than the pins. No more up/down play.

Kind of a strange setup, a Forster Shoulder Bump/bushing sizing-depriming die in #1, a Lee Powder Die in #2, a Hornady CG/ND seating Die, and Lee Factory Crimp die in #4 and #5. They all seem to get along well and the ammo is super accurate.

I just use my 550 as a semi-single stage for precision loading stuff.. I size and prime all my brass, then toss it in an ammo can with some desiccant.. When I'm ready to load, I put the cases in a loading block, use my auto-charge to measure each load, funnel drop it in each and every case of the loading block, verify every case is charged with a flashlight and then move to bullet seating and if necessary, spin the seated round over to the crimp station. Viola!

Slowest part is actually weighing every charge, but it goes pretty quick most of the time and I maintain a fairly low ES..