• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using Kroil in a barrel

Carlos Danger

Keeper of useless information
Minuteman
  • Jan 29, 2019
    Anyone here use Kroil as a final finish when cleaning a barrel? Would there be any issues using it or what other oil / product would you recommend?

Kroil is fine and works well. Tons of products available. For carbon, I use Free All, or Boretech C4, or Kroil. For copper, I use wipe out patch out. You can use CLR for carbon too but I would suggest running something down the bore first that has a lubricating property in it. Ive bent a jag twice running CLR down a dry dirty barrel. Invest in a borescope. $80 can get a decent one on Amazon.

I have not had any problems with Kroil or any other penetrating oil with my gun either with soaking with it the night before cleaning or using it that day to try and loosen up any debris it might loosen up . the longest soak I have left it in for is only 2 days beyond that I have no idea what might happen (probably nothing but try carefully) . best of luck

Been using Kroil for years. After cleaning with Butch's Bore Shine and running dry pacthes I run a couple wet of Kroil and then a couple dry patches to take out any excess. Never an issue.

I use Kroil frequently. Depending on your firing "schedule" and ambient storage conditions it should be fine... bear in mind it isn't "thick" so it will leach down the bore.

In a perfect world.... I would have more time / motivation to perfectly corrosion protect all my firearms ( Lol )
    that said , my current firearm use is goto the range, practice, sometimes shooting in the rain ...etc

But the Kroil has worked fine on my bores.... I don't put away anything wet from rolling in the mud. I realize that sounds like a no brainer... but some might.

I store my firearms in a safe , with a VCI emitter inside the safe, might be over kill, but those firearms are worth the peace of mind from the extra precaution.

Longer term storage firearms get extra VCI use... bore VCI sticks, VCI bags... stuff like that. The VCI stuff works well for me.

Again... your climate may dictate what works best for you.

If you could discribe the conditions you train in, we could better offer suggestions.

You might find this corrosion test interesting... YMMV... FWIW... while Frog Lube offered great corrosion resistance in that specific test ,, I am not a fan of it as a lubricant . Your results might vary.
    https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Last edited:
    Anyone here use Kroil as a final finish when cleaning a barrel?

What are you trying to achieve? Corrosion protection?

If so, there are much better things.

The easiest way to preserve it is to smear axle grease on a patch and shove it down the bore leaving a thin film behind. Obviously, patch clean it before using again.

What are you trying to achieve? Corrosion protection?

If so, there are much better things.

The easiest way to preserve it is to smear axle grease on a patch and shove it down the bore leaving a thin film behind. Obviously, patch clean it before using again.
    Yup, just post cleaning storage. I have other oils available (Ballustol, rem oil, etc.). I'm not committed to Kroil but I have it.

Yup, just post cleaning storage. I have other oils available (Ballustol, rem oil, etc.). I'm not committed to Kroil but I have it.
    Kroil won't hurt anything and does just fine for your need. That's what I use it for. After cleaning a few patches to flush out any left over solvents and super light oil coat as I run a few dry patches after the wet. I don't even patch before going shooting it's that light. I actually first saw it mentioned by BR guys and found it works good for that use of post cleaning.

Grease it and done. It's no more trouble to apply or remove than oil, protects better, and doesn't run.

I have/do sometimes still use Kroil mixed with Shooter's Choice at 50/50. I was advised once by a gunsmith that the Kroil...as a very good penetrating oil...will take the bore solvent into places it would not normally penetrate. They claim "Penetrates openings as small as one-millionth of an inch"

Dunno....seemed to work ok but not better than Bore Tech products...carbon remover followed by either copper remover or eliminator....at least as far as I can see but I certainly didn't do any rigorous observation or testing.

My barrels are all SS and while I know that SS can indeed corrode, depending on type of SS and environment, I don't really worry about corrosion too very much. I've kept guns in my safe with a golden rod for a very long time and never had any corrosion.

Often after cleaning I will run a patch or t wo with some clean solvent (BC Gun Scrubber is one I have used for a long time but brake cleaner will do also) to get the last of the chems out and then follow with a patch dampened with Kroil...just damp and I haven't observed it running down the bore and into the action, etc.

Been using Kroil for years. After cleaning with Butch's Bore Shine and running dry pacthes I run a couple wet of Kroil and then a couple dry patches to take out any excess. Never an issue.
    Either Kroil or Ed's Red