• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Using Mil reticle as moa reticle

alann

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Colorado
I have a vortex viper with mildots in it. It is a second focal plane scope and is correct for mils at 14X. The turrets are moa. I have set up a target marked off to 1.047, 2.094, 3.141, and 4.188 at 100 yards to correspond to correct sizes for minutes of angle. At just over 12X, the scope the mildots span 4 moa and at about 18X the mildots span 3 moa. Using math, I come up with 12X for 4 MOA and 16X for MOA. The scope does not go high enough to work for 2 MOA. I'll have to recheck the value for 3 MOA next time at the range.

Now the question, knowing this, do I have a decent setup to now have a moa reticle and moa turret to make corrections at least be of a common scale? It's my thought that I won't have as much precision as if the reticle was a true moa reticle and I would not think that 3 moa between dots would be too user friendly, but that's what I have to deal with for a while.