• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using MOA with ballistic calculators....Why not just round up or down?

Steel+Killer

Killing one steel plate at a time!
Minuteman
  • May 27, 2014
    32.75259713494653, -79.87485679548313
    First and foremost YES I know the difference between MOA and MILS and I don't want this to turn into a MOA vs MIL shit show.

So ever since I got into LR shooting or any shooting where I dial a scope elevation turret or use any kind of ballistic program or computer I have been using MILS.

I never think about MOA unless I am helping someone zero there "set it and forget it" MOA hunting scope.

Fast forward I have been wanting a dedicated hunting scope with a no bullshit clutter free only red dot in the center illuminates reticle, but with turrets that can still be dialed for elevation. The only one that I found that meets my criteria and have already ordered is the Leupold VX-6HD 4-24X52 FIREDOT DUPLEX. Only thing that I don't like about it is the turrets are 1/4 MOA, but what the hell I can live with it.

Ok here's my Ballistic Calculator question. I figured when you changed the units to MOA it would give the solution to the closest 1/4 MOA. I didn't realize I would still get the solution in tenths. Example 425yds is giving me 6.6 MOA. In MILS there is an exact 6.6 tic mark on the turret with 1/4MOA turrets I find I am having to think a little more. Do I dial to 6.50 or 6.75.....hmmmm seems like there are going to be times when I will have to dial either slightly under or over exactly what the solution calls for. I know in reality I probably can't hold the difference, but damn its messing with my OCD.

Reactions: 338dude
    If using Strelok, enable "Show clicks in 1 3/4 layout". Under the Turret column it will then show 6 2/4 etc. and round up and down for you.
    With that setting disabled it would show "Clicks U26"

With Ballistic AE the user can choose MOA, mRad, 1 Minute Clicks, 1/2 Minute Clicks, 1/4 Minute Clicks, 1cm/100m Clicks, 1/2cm/100m Clicks, 0.2 mRad Clicks, 0.1 mRad Clicks, 0.05 mRad Clicks and even IPHY.

In your example, dial 6.5 and use a hair of a hold.

What if you were using your MIL scope and your range finder says to dial 6.05? 6.08?

Reactions: Steel+Killer
    Simple. Says 6.6 then dial 6.5 and hold a hair over. If it said 6.7 then dial 6.75 and a hair under. But even those hairs get lost in the shooting so you can just dial on the closest and shoot. At 425 yards .1 MOA is around .4" so you won't know if you held the difference or if you had one on the high end or low end of your velocity ES hitting. Even at 1000 yards that .1moa is only about 1". Gets lost in the noise so stop the OCD and shoot.

I just created a MOA profile for my 300WM in my Vortex Fury 5000 LR Binos funny the numbers seem way to high I am used to dialing MILS, but I will get used to it. Hopefully I won't be a dumbass when the big one comes out......LOL

Thanks Guys!

Really? Hold .1 MOA?

Most programs will give the answer in knob increments, you just need to set it right. In any event, the rounded value is nothing you can either hold or determine if it's you, the scope, the velocity of that round, the BC of that particular bullet, the actual temp or pressure rather than what you input...

Exactly my point. Don’t worry about .1 moa either way.

No kidding, those suggestions are going to add way more errors than the .1 difference (what, less than half inch at 425yds?)....Ummm, yeah, they can hold off exactly that much at distance.
    That’s why “those suggestions” were explained away if you read it again. 😉