• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using Reloads Done By Someone Else

AricaPuki

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
I see it more and more now a days in PRS matches where a shooter is using a reload made by some else and no testing was done on his rilfe. Shooter experienced feeding issues and extraction issues as the bullet was either too long and into the lands or the cases have not been sized properly for his chamber. Reason I know is he mentioned that he will tell his "buddy" to seat the bullet deaper next time.

He obviously did not know anything about reloading as he started to mix things together as he talked about various reloading concepts. It was scary when he had feeding problems while on a stage and the ammo did not feed right and he then extracted the ammo and left the bullet stuck in his barrel with powder all over the action. He then got the bullet out, cleaned the action and resume shooting on the next stage.

He may want to save some money as ammo pricess are expensive, I get it. Question is, if it is safe to get your buddy to load ammo for you if he does not load the ammo to max charge and seats the bullet to mag length? Only issue I can see after that is a "Squib" load if the "buddy" made a mistake which would be catastrophic.

It was scary to shoot beside him to say the least.

Thoughts?

I see it more and more now a days in PRS matches where a shooter is using a reload made by some else and no testing was done on his rilfe. Shooter experienced feeding issues and extraction issues as the bullet was either too long and into the lands or the cases have not been sized properly for his chamber. Reason I know is he mentioned that he will tell his "buddy" to seat the bullet deaper next time.

He obviously did not know anything about reloading as he started to mix things together as he talked about various reloading concepts. It was scary when he had feeding problems while on a stage and the ammo did not feed right and he then extracted the ammo and left the bullet stuck in his barrel with powder all over the action. He then got the bullet out, cleaned the action and resume shooting on the next stage.

He may want to save some money as ammo pricess are expensive, I get it. Question is, if it is safe to get your buddy to load ammo for you if he does not load the ammo to max charge and seats the bullet to mag length? Only issue I can see after that is a "Squib" load if the "buddy" made a mistake which would be catastrophic.

Thoughts?

It is safe provided the hand loader knows what he is doing and has the rifle to test.

I know some f-class/prs shooters who do the same. They are all high net worth individuals with best custom rifles who do not have time to reload themeselves. Instead they hire an experienced reloader to develop AND TEST a winning load for their rifle. It takes one week and costs approx. 500 bucks plus expenses. The load has been developed and tested with their rifles. It makes sense to me. Some of these guys are ranked in top 10 f-class.

I know of one person I trust enough to reload for me in a dire emergency. I wouldn’t want the liability of reloading anything for anyone else or their gun, just not worth the potential risk & headaches.
I agree with the above post, a pair of morons.

Hmmm ..... I have ended up next to a lot of scary people in industrial construction, hunting blinds, on the range, etc... I have witnessed those people injure other's and then walk away without a scratch. When I sense a situation like that, I pack it in and move a safe distance away. When I was younger I would try and say something. Over the years I learned that other people don't listen in situations like that. My philosophy is to "Take Care of #1"...

Ya I’d pack it up and move on its not worth it. It’s a safe practice if the buddy/ reloaded knows what he’s doing I do load development for friends all the time.in the situation you described I’d run for the hills

If the person doing the loading does not have an FFL, it's not legal, just FYI. It makes you an ammunition manufacturer. Plus the liability would be insane.

Can it be done safely? Certainly, if the loader has the rifle and is competent. It's still unwise and illegal.

Reactions: Huskydriver
If the person doing the loading does not have an FFL, it's not legal, just FYI. It makes you an ammunition manufacturer. Plus the liability would be insane.

Can it be done safely? Certainly, if the loader has the rifle and is competent. It's still unwise and illegal.

Nuff said!

During the current ammo shortage several people wanted to buy reloads from me.

Some strangers on the range that saw me shoot groups and were unhappy with the results. Lol

Probably 50% was inexperience with thier gear and the other a victim of what was left on the shelf.

I reload for family and each gun has a load sheet with measurements that I took.

I have a load development batch in ar that I have to stop and check my own gun with a controll group first because of a 0.002 variance.

Going to look like a goob when I pull out my headspace comparitor on the range but don't care.

Could be 0.002 worth of dirty chamber. Lol

Last edited:
Here’s a real issue. Reloads that work just perfect in my RPR won’t chamber in the MPA BA. MPA’s chamber is tighter. Point; rounds must be tested in the rifle they are going to be shot in. Otherwise, a total waste of time at best, could be a lot worse.

I very rarely load for someone else and I would never let anyone shoot my handloads in their rifle. For example my 308 DTA, I load 175 TMKs at 2.880” coal and 44gr varget - not that hot of a load but if you were to load it in a tikka with a tight chamber, odds are it would be a hot load because of the jam. Same thing with my 223 match load at 2.525” wouldn’t fit in my buddies tikkas. I did load a few 22-250 for the father in law but I insist on testing them myself to make sure there’s no issues with primers or pressure. I also wouldn’t work up a load either, it’d stay well within pressure and use very conservative OAL.
I wouldn’t even let a friend shoot my handloads in my rifle, I usually bring a good amount of factory ammo (fgmm or hornady eldx) because of the liability. Also it’s extremely time consuming to do, especially when a friend comes to me with military brass that needs to be tumbled, lubed, resized, tumbled again, trimmed, remove the crimp, etc, etc.

All things considered, as long as it’s not over pressure….it’s likely “safe.”

I.E. someone could load a bunch of 6br with 30.0 varget and seat bullets long. You seat them for your chamber and done. It would be fine.

Advisable? Depends on the situation. Safe? Mostly.

Thank you folks. Very insightful. I reload, but only for my rilfe. Have a wonderful shooting season.