• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using shooting partner as rest

mjphawk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
Boynton Beach, FL
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Are there any resources for recommended setup/positions for team matches that require you to use your partner as a shooting support? I see the humorous memes but not sure which positions are actually effective.

This kind of stupidity belongs in pro sports, not shooting sports.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Are there any resources for recommended setup/positions for team matches that require you to use your partner as a shooting support? I see the humorous memes but not sure which positions are actually effective.

Definitely the right place, if such a thing actually exists (which I doubt)

Is the kind of help you're expecting from your shootin partner?
Buddy.png

• Haha
Reactions: Gee Kay
We had todo this at the Bushnell match last February. We sat face to face with the shooters legs over top of the non-shooters legs. Non-shooter then leaned forward with head to shooters chest and wrapped his arms around the shooter. Rifle was supported on non-shooters shoulder. Shooter would say ready and non-shooter would hold their breath. Worked out okay. I’d prefer a tripod but the stage didn’t allow it.

We had todo this at the Bushnell match last February. We sat face to face with the shooters legs over top of the non-shooters legs. Non-shooter then leaned forward with head to shooters chest and wrapped his arms around the shooter. Rifle was supported on non-shooters shoulder. Shooter would say ready and non-shooter would hold their breath. Worked out okay. I’d prefer a tripod but the stage didn’t allow it.

WTF was that? A game of gay chicken?

WTF was that? A game of gay chicken?

Haha. It was really cold so I suppose the body heat was nice. And it was a pretty stable position so it made sense at the time.

Anywhere other than a match where it was required to shoot off your partner and I’d have used a tripod.

• Haha
Reactions: 6.5SH

Thanks for the response. Not a huge fan of the idea myself but may be required for an upcoming tram match. There doesn’t seem to be much out there (possibly for good reason). Here were the only pics I could find.

Attachments

• ECF955DF-A365-4EB1-8AF4-898895816124.jpeg
    ECF955DF-A365-4EB1-8AF4-898895816124.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 52
  • BCF30CAF-382C-4FD0-B371-DF6A10CABD57.jpeg
    BCF30CAF-382C-4FD0-B371-DF6A10CABD57.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 56
On a Pre-Vietnam training Op in Pendleton, our road march column got hit with a mock ambush. We were shooting blanks, and in those days (1966) hearing protection simply wasn't an issue.

Some Yahoo behind me ran up, rested his M-14 in my shoulder (much like the first photo above, except we were kneeling), fired two blanks, and ran off.

The ear damage was sufficient to cause an ear bleed.

Needless to say, I was not amused.

Greg

On a Pre-Vietnam training Op in Pendleton, our road march column got hit with a mock ambush. We were shooting blanks, and in those days (1966) hearing protection simply wasn't an issue.

Some Yahoo behind me ran up, rested his M-14 in my shoulder (much like the first photo above, except we were kneeling), fired two blanks, and ran off.

The ear damage was sufficient to cause an ear bleed.

Needless to say, I was not amused.

Greg

I’m sure we will be wearing ear protection but I’m not guessing a full facial from an APA LB brake is going to be fun!

I once had a coyote come in 90* to our setup position. Switched positions and layed the gun on the girlfriends ass. Whispered don’t fart and pulled the trigger. Coyote died in his tracks.

• Haha
Reactions: BikePilot and TACC
pretty sure it will be required again this year. I shot the GTI match last year we had to do a partner shoot

Looks like the Dutch have adopted an almost supine position for the shooter. Of course this may be unintentional, as the observer may have knocked him a little off balance when he was a little too eager as he “assumed the position.”

Here is the French variation. Either they teach a more upright shooter position, or this team is past the “honeymoon stage.”

750F45ED-BDBF-4616-9431-DB53D23A12B4.jpeg

Last edited:
This has been an interesting thread so far lol. It would never be my choice to use one of these positions and I would always prefer take more time to get a good position or deploy a tripod. I don’t write the rules so just trying to be prepared. Thanks for the info.

I really can’t believe it took 21 replies to get this picture posted to this thread. I looked for it, but couldn’t come up with the correct combination of key words for google...

Looks like the Dutch have adopted an almost supine position for the shooter. Of course this may be unintentional, as the observer may have knocked him a little off balance when he was a little too eager as he “assumed the position.”

Here is the French variation. Either they teach a more upright shooter position, or this team is past the “honeymoon stage.”

View attachment 7463983
Obviously a sniper position on Broke Back Mountain.