• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using silicone to spec a chamber?

eracer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, FL
I recently had silicone impressions done for custom ear pro. The audiologist injected the stuff into my ear canal and it hardened in about three minutes. He pulled it out, and it was of course a perfect model of my ear canal.

Why couldn't the same stuff be used to spec a chamber? Seems like it would be a lot easier than all the rods, and dummy rounds and other stuff.

Re: Using silicone to spec a chamber?

We use something similar at our company. It's called "ReproRubber". I don't see why it couldn't be used to spec a chamber. Below is a link.

http://www.reprorubber.com/

I must say, it works great. Very expensive though. I've personally used it for gunsmithing to figure out where the locking lugs were on a 1911 slide. Our engineering company use it a lot to figure out shapes of parts where calipers & Micrometers will not reach.

Paul

Google "cerrosafe".

Common gunsmith practice..........

Ive used Repro Rubber when trying to measure ID grooves and checking thread forms and places you cant get a measuring tool into, but never thought about it for chamber casting. It doesnt really flow well so Im not sure youd get a full and perfect cast of the chamber. Cerrosafe on the other hand works perfect as it turns liquid and flows then hardens. Cerrosafe would be what Id use.