• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using supports/bags from the bench question

erwos

Unorganized Militiaman
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2014
I'm a new long range shooter. I am good with the technical aspects (ballistics and dialing), but still a newb with the technique and supporting equipment stuff.

I was trying out my new Caldwell Tackdriver front bag from the bench on Sunday to shoot at 200yds with my Ruger American w/ Tango6 3-18x, and I felt like it was putting the rifle too low to the bench to properly get myself down to the right angle to shoulder and shoot the gun at the appropriate targets. I wound up using my Magpul bipod, which was alright, but not as stable as a front bag. What's the solution here?
1. Man up and work on getting lower? (I am a big dude, and the seats on the benches are not super low.)
2. Different bag?
3. Use some sort of adjustable front rest?
4. Other?

many shooters just take other things to put under the bag, something relatively stable

many shooters just take other things to put under the bag, something relatively stable
Yeah, I thought about doing that. I guess I could just build something out of plywood with a grippy top and bottom surface?

Practice how you are going to shoot. If you will only ever be shooting from a bench; get a new bag, mod the currrnt bag, or build a platform. But, if you're not going to be shooting from a front bag at a seated bench, ditch the front bag.

I use Atlas Bipod up from and TAB Gear rear bag. Works for me.

VooDoo

Thanks for the recommendations, folks. Sounds like I need to be thinking as much about the rear bag as the front bag! I'll try swapping things around and seeing if using it as a rear bag proves beneficial.

Thanks for the recommendations, folks. Sounds like I need to be thinking as much about the rear bag as the front bag! I'll try swapping things around and seeing if using it as a rear bag proves beneficial.
I started off with a Caldwell Rock Rest for a front support. As it became clear that rifle was going to completely take over my hobby interests, I quickly learned that a solidly-mounted bipod in front and a GameChanger bag in the rear was the way to go. The Rock rest hasn't been out of the garage in over a year.

While many people find a heavy sock filled with gravel or rice or something to be a satisfactory rear rest (at least early on), you'll find a GameChanger, Tactical Udder, or similar bag to be a primary piece of your kit. As you learn, and especially if you compete, you'll be tempted to buy a variety of bags. Fine. But, if I had to ditch all my bags but one, I'd keep my GameChanger and not really feel like I lost much.

Bipods: Both of mine are Harris units. The 6-9" one has cant and click leg steps (S-BRM); the 9-13" one has cant and I wish it had click leg steps (I bought both of them used for about 50% of new so I'm not complaining). Both have podlocks. I've used Atlas bipods. I like them a lot. I just don't like them enough to pay the cost premium.

@erwos

I've been there, recall what you're going through vividly. I bought a bald eagle? Front rest from bullets. Com. Had lead sled before that. Actually took it to the dump last week after cleaning up the garage. Being new I left it beside the dump, pity the fool that takes it home. Front rest, big Caldwell bags, lead sleds.. It's embarrassing to look back on.

I got into PRS few years back, started using bipod and rear bags. Started learning better fundamentals. Shot more than in the past.

Quickly learned I can shoot same or better groups with bipod and rear bag. With that said, heavy rear bag like Armageddon Gear game-changer is my choice. Good bipod like Harris, I prefer adding Hawk Hill talon feet.

The good thing about developing this pretty simple skill set, you can take it with you (unlike a front rest, lead sled, etc). These are crutches, a bipod and rear bag a tool. The use of all the bulky hardware takes you, the shooter, out of the equation. Far more rewarding to keep you and your skill in the equation.

Learn to shoot with bipod and rear bag, and you will be better off. A bench, prone, modified prone, it's all the same. 1/4 moa groups are common among many with accurate rifles.

An added cautionary tale, I'm 6'6" 320 and my past time shooting on low to me benches destroyed my fundamentals. It encourages being open or bladed to rifle. This carries over to limit your recoil management, which makes spotting shots a most difficult task. A snowball effect. A big shit flavored snow ball.

Dan

Last edited:
Check out the rear bag demo on our front page. We took it further than just a sack with beads.
PrecisionUndergroundRifleGear.com

Reactions: Alabusa
A good bipod and rear bag is all that’s needed.
I really like precision underground bag, set up right they’re as stable as bunnyear bags.

I’m not in the super low position camp at all.
a few decades of farming/construction along with a bigger body make that painful.

I do plenty well shooting long distance with a bit more raised position.

Reactions: Alabusa
Just to follow up on this... I had a couple of rifles with new LPVOs (a SMRS and an RT-6) that I needed to zero at 100yds today, so this seemed like a nice time to give the "bipod + big bag on rear" advice a try.

THANK YOU. It worked great. I obtained a very stable position, and I was able to zero the rifles tightly and quickly. Groups were better than I've been able to manage in the past, too.

Happy Thanksgiving!