• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using the dillon swager

The4thHorseman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
Hatboro, PA
www.comcast.net
I'm getting into reloading and the cals are 223 and 9mm. I have the dillon 550 and the three set carbide dies for the 223. My question is after I clean the brass do you resize and decrimp than stick it thru the swager and your done or after the swager do I still need to remove some metal with a deburr tool? I guess what I'm asking is other than the the three dies and the swager tool do I need anything else to prep the brass? Thanks

Re: Using the dillon swager

Deprime with a Lee deprime die. That is all it does. Then clean, swage the primer pocket, then ready to load. You will be ready to prime withe the Dillon when you reize on the press.

In short, no you do not need to remove any brass after swaging. It will be ready for a new primer.

Yeah thats the thing. With the dillon it wants to resize and deprime on the up stroke and prime on the down stroke. I guess I was just confused that once the brass is deprimed the only thing I would have to do is swage and right to the reloader right?? Thanks

Ok. Got it. Nothing more would need to be done to the primer pocket. What about the the bullet neck? After it runs thru the resizing die I just check the length? Do I need a tool to shorten the neck? What do you guys suggest?

This is how i do my .223 plinking loads

fired brass.....

tumble 4-8 hours
lube
resize/deprime
trim
swage primer pocket
tumble for 1-2 hours to remove lube and brass trimmings
load.

for precision rounds, I also unform the primer pocket and deburr the flash hole after the swaging.

You need a trimmer to 'shorten the necks' (trim the brass)

Get a Giraud trimmer, its expensive but worth it! I trim every time I reload the brass. It keeps things uniform

I too reload on a Dillon RL550. I clean my fired cases first. Then, I'll shake em out, place them on a cookie sheet, lube them lightly with the Dillon spray lube, and resize/deprime.

I then go no further on the press until I have completed any additional case prep. I'll start by wiping them clean. I swage at this time. Then I'll check a sample group for overall length. It they average longer than spec, say 2.016 in .308, I'll trim them all, then chamfor the mouths. I then deburr the flash holes, and clean up the primer pockets.

Genrally I consider these ready to reload. I have putzed around with annealing older cases recently and did that after the wiping phase as I figured the heating might make them grow a touch.

I use Forster lathe trimmers.

This is my process for loading .223 with once fired LC brass to be used in my AR15's.

Tumble brass for cleaning and inspection
Resize on small base die
Tumble again to remove lube
Swage primer pockets on Dillon Swage tool
Trim brass on Giraud trimmer

Feed processed brass to Dillon 550 for final loading.