• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using the iron sights on a Springfield M1A

tag_heuer

Lead Farmer and Garbage Collector
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2013
NOR CAL
Is there any videos or other threads, or perhaps someone can help explain to me how to adjust the sights on a Springfield M1A? If not, I’m throwing a scope on it.

Don’t have mine in front of me but if I remember correctly, right knob is elevation, numbers on the knob are close enough to yardage if using 150gr.
Windage is left knob, simple right and left.

Left knob is elevation, right is windage. If they aren't match sights they are 1 moa clicks.

This video may help

Improved front sight that's actually a real improvement, I have a similar sight on my Garand. I prefer the ring style front aperture insert, and use the appropriate one that shows a little light around the bull. It provides a sight picture with a rear ring, then a front ring to center inside it, and the bull centered inside that, very precise.

To Install, first align the windage base with the windage center line inscribed on the receiver, then align the front sight in small increments left/right until the rifle shoots dead center with no wind. Lock the front sight down firmly, but not Gorilla-Proof tight.

For this and anything else that requires a view through the bore from the chamber end, find a Garand bore sight mirror tool. These also work with the M-14/M1a

1/2 MOA Rear N/M aperture. Fulton armory 1/2MOA Windage base, and corresponding N/M windage knob.

These sights don't really do all their job as well with a base/factory rifle.

To get the best result, do what you can to accurize the rifle itself, like glassbedding, and load development/factory ammo selection.

I had a scoped M1A, and the mounts were not friendly. That has improved since, but I divested my M1A back around 2005. When the mount stayed in place it shot very well, but the mount could be frustrating.

A full-on N/M M1a, for down the road; be prepared for MAJOR sticker shock, especially when adding the better options.

Configured as I'd like, with the DMR scope mount, it could total out over $4300. I spent $2600 for my Loaded M1a back in 1995 (Not counting the $2000+ in diamond and emerald jewelry I needed to buy my Wife in order to defuse a divorce threat).

I use Fulton Armory for all my Garand parts and upgrades, and also recommend them for the M1a. I use Ammogarand and Amazon for all my Garand accessories. I suspect that the scope mount option on this one is probably miles better than the one I had.

Greg

Last edited: