• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Using used barrels

g.ross

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2010
Queen Creek AZ
Was interested in getting a used barrel chambered by a top gunsmith and shot well out of his rifle.Should i expect the same accuracy' or is this a bad idea. thank

Re: Using used barrels

im not a smith by any means but it just seems like a bad idea to me. Why not get a good barrel if your goin to spend the money on a build and eliminate the chance of it not shooting? Brux barrel will only run you around 300 bucks

The barrel will have to be headspaced to your bolt/receiver combo, so you will need a 'smiths assistance to complete this build. Also remember that the barrel is only one part of the accuracy equasion. Bedding, optics mounting, optics, and shooter talent are also necessary to get top accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is usually a reason it is someone's trash..... </div></div>

Hmmmm... a lot of unfair assumptions here.

You have many things to consider. First of all is the price. If the seller is asking anything over about $0.70 on the dollar of a new tube he's nuts, and you'd be nuts to go for it.

Why is he changing the barrel? Caliber change? Profile/weight change? They're a crazy gun fashionista and their rifle has fallen out of vogue in its current trim?

I have two take off barrels in the safe, a Shilen and a Hart. Both are .243's, MTU profile, both are absolute hammers with 75gr handloads. Why'd we pull them? One rifle went .308, the other 7mm-08. Nothin' wrong with either (no they're not for sale). But if I got tired of looking at them, I assure you, they'd be great barrels and far from trash.

Whats it going to cost to get it spun on your action and headspaced?

For that matter what is it threaded for and what are you wanting to use it on?

We rebarrel a lot of old mauser actions with factory Remington barrels. They make great shooters and are very cheap to do. But they will always only be a cheap stick, and nothing more.

If the price is right, and you believe the guy, and you can get it installed (or do it yourself) cost effectively- go for it. But keep in mind you're taking the cheap route and if it doesn't perform thats the risk you take, just like any new tube, except you'll always have a bit of doubt because you bought used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is usually a reason it is someone's trash.....</div></div>

unless one got a borescope and can read the tea leaves

I have often wondered what happens to the barrels guys pull off benchrest rifles they feel are shot out and no longer shooting well enough to compete. If you could get cheap and set back and shorten a bit may be worth it. I have always wondered where these pulled competition barrels end up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g.ross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was interested in getting a used barrel chambered by a top gunsmith and shot well out of his rifle.Should i expect the same accuracy' or is this a bad idea. thank </div></div>

what action is it coming off of?
what action is it going on?
why is he getting rid of it?
how much are you getting it for? if it doesn't work out, can you afford the loss?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longbow62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have often wondered what happens to the barrels guys pull off benchrest rifles they feel are shot out and no longer shooting well enough to compete. If you could get cheap and set back and shorten a bit may be worth it. I have always wondered where these pulled competition barrels end up. </div></div>

Maybe a fluke but I took a used BR barrel in 6PPC, cut off the threads, rechambered with a 6PPC reamer and threaded for a CZ527 action. The barrel had several hundred rounds thru it before and was never really a barn burner but on the CZ it turned into Cinderella. Damn thing has turned in some sub .1" five shot groups at 100 yards and I killed 55 prairie dogs with it with 50 rounds of ammo one miraculous day in Texas a few years ago.
I guess you just never know what is going to happen. But one thing I do know. If you're going to have to pay a good gunsmith to do all the work you should just start with a new blank. After all, what's another $300 or so in the end, right?

yea I think the key is what the barreling work would cost you. Personally, I'd take a cheap used barrel in a heartbeat, because I am trying to do my own work, and I'd rather learn on scrap than on a $300 high end barrel. But if I were paying a gunsmith for the work, I'd definitely just buy a new barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian McMahon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea I think the key is what the barreling work would cost you. Personally, I'd take a cheap used barrel in a heartbeat, because I am trying to do my own work, and I'd rather learn on scrap than on a $300 high end barrel. But if I were paying a gunsmith for the work, I'd definitely just buy a new barrel. </div></div>

BINGO!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longbow62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have often wondered what happens to the barrels guys pull off benchrest rifles they feel are shot out and no longer shooting well enough to compete. If you could get cheap and set back and shorten a bit may be worth it. I have always wondered where these pulled competition barrels end up. </div></div>

The only problem is they are mostly all 14T and only shoot light bullets. If you are wanting a ppc or a BR or even a 6x47 varmint tube they are great.

I've only bought four used barrels and may have been very lucky because they all worked out pretty damn good. One was a Kreiger for an AR. I'm sure the guy (who was a competitor) considered it shot out. With handloads, I was able to get 10 round groups in the .6"-.8" range after a lot of scrubbing. The other three were Remington factory barrels, one new take off varmint and the other two were Remington factory 5R's (with supposedly 200 rounds down the tube). All shot very good as well. I was able to set 0 headspace on the factory barrels by either selection of recoil lugs or a slight adjustment of the lug. I'm not saying this will always be the case, but it does happen. Also as said above, if I had to pay someone to do it, I'd definitely go new.

I've only bought four used barrels and may have been very lucky because they all worked out pretty damn good. One was a Kreiger for an AR. I'm sure the guy (who was a competitor) considered it shot out. With handloads, I was able to get 10 round groups in the .6"-.8" range after a lot of scrubbing. The other three were Remington factory barrels, one new take off varmint and the other two were Remington factory 5R's (with supposedly 200 rounds down the tube). All shot very good as well. I was able to set 0 headspace on the factory barrels by either selection of recoil lugs or a slight adjustment of the lug. I'm not saying this will always be the case, but it does happen. Also as said above, if I had to pay someone to do it, I'd definitely go new.

BTW, the cost of the barrels were; Kreiger $150, Remingtons ranged from $80 to $120.

I cant speak for every barrel and caliber combo, but I know with a 6.5 Creedmoore often times when a barrel has been "shot out" the rifling is still decent and the chamber is still ok, but about .300 in front of where the rifling starts there is a hole in the rifling from all the gas expanding behind the bullet when its fired.

I have put a "used" barrel on a M1 Garand and it shoots great, and there was no head spacing involved with that.

I've always wondered. If you had a barrel that was shot out but had good rifling and was previously chambered in .308, could I take that barrel and chamber it in .300WM and reclaim the shot out throat? Basically the longer chamber would ream out the shot out area in the throat right?

The barrels get a shot out throat and the bore gets bigger at the muzzle.

The 6mmPPC take off barrels sold for $50 with 2000 rounds through them are common.

These can be reamed out to 6mmBR or 243, and get little one hole groups.

The problems are:
a) The barrel is already short.
b) The twist is 1 in 14", which means 75 gr Vmax will keyhole, 65 gr Vmax will not.
c) Screaming 65 gr Vmax does not distinguish itself at shooting rodents any better than a 70kpsi 223 load.

The barrel I'm working on for my build is a #7 varmint taper... it's got 5" of 1.25" straight, and then straight taper to like .900" at 28". I bet I could shoot this barrel out and rechamber/recrown it a dozen times if not more
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ian McMahon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel I'm working on for my build is a #7 varmint taper... it's got 5" of 1.25" straight, and then straight taper to like .900" at 28". I bet I could shoot this barrel out and rechamber/recrown it a dozen times if not more
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Yes you can.

I got a 6mmbr tube from a BR guy had only 755rds or something like that threw it. I sold it to a friend who shoots PD with it to this day and has I would think close to 3,000 rds. If you know the thing was taken care of you should be fine.

I have a 7mmSTW that has a take off 7mm Rem Mag tube and it is a good hunting tube.

It depends on the type of barrel it is too. If it's a Remington or Winchester, they may not work so well if you cut them down. The problem is the hammer forging process. It leaves a lot of stresses that needed to be relieved in a certain way to get the barrel to shoot better. You don't know how those internal stresses are going to react when the barrel gets cut down.

It still happens with button rifled barrels but not as bad.

If you are getting a quality cut-rifled barrel, you probably won't have any problem cutting it down.

Also, note that the chamber end of the barrel needs to be still thick enough and long enough to damp the initial vibration caused by firing the round.