• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USMC Contract to Leupold Mark 8™ CQBSS™

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    <span style="font-weight: bold">USMC Awards Contract to Leupold®
    Tactical for Mark 8™ CQBSS™ Riflescopes </span>

BEAVERTON, Ore. — Leupold’s® Tactical Optics Division has won a contract with the United States Marine Corps (USMC) to supply 728 Mark 8™ 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS™ riflescopes for use with M2 heavy machine guns and MK19 grenade machine guns. The sight will carry the M521 designation.
    Ordered to meet the need of Afghanistan-based Marine units for a Heavy Day Optic, the Mark 8 CQBSS scopes will be employed to support combat operations. A key feature of the scope is Leupold’s new Marine-Tactical Milling Reticle (M-TMR™), which is designed to allow successful range estimation and target engagement with more flexibility than generally possible with other reticle styles. The M-TMR’s “staircased” configuration preserves the instinctive-fire capabilities on low magnification while allowing precise range estimation at any power setting.
    “The Marine Corps’ innovative employment of this new technology will bring enhanced lethality to two combat-proven systems, the M-2 and Mk 19 Heavy Machine Guns,” said Kevin Trepa, Vice President of Leupold’s Tactical Division. “We will continue working hard to deliver the new tools that our warfighters need to succeed on the battlefield.”

The Mark 8 CQBSS has a state-of-the-art lens system providing operators with the capability of an 8-power precision riflescope in one rugged, field-proven unit. The 34mm maintube features a fully checkered ocular bell for making quick magnification adjustments even while wearing gloves.
    A front focal plane reticle, the M-TMR is accurate at all magnification settings. Eight illumination settings allow for optimum contrast with or without night vision. An off position between each intensity setting makes returning to the preferred setting nearly immediate.

In addition, the Mark 8 CQBSS has Auto-Locking Pinch and Turn turrets with 0.10 mil clicks that are extremely easy to adjust, yet eliminate accidental adjustment in the field. Leupold’s Index Matched Lens System® with DiamondCoat 2™ helps enhance optical performance by providing increased light transmission and scratch resistance that exceeds mil-specs.
    Mark 8 CQBSS riflescopes have a matte black finish and are filled with an argon/krypton gas blend, making them second-generation waterproof, fog proof and shock proof. Flip-open lens covers and a 2.5" sun shade are standard issue.

Leupold Tactical Optics undergo arduous environmental and impact testing to ensure they meet the highest quality standards for durability and dependability. Leupold Tactical Optics are backed by the company’s long history of customer-satisfaction warranties. For warranty information on specific products, call 1-800-LEUPOLD Option 4 or [email protected]. For additional product information, go to www.leupold.com.

Supported by a team of dedicated engineers, the Leupold Tactical Optics staff works with American warfighters, law enforcement personnel, and competitive shooters to design and build products that meet their needs. Currently, more long-range Leupold Tactical Optics are in service with the U.S. military than any other brand.

Leupold & Stevens, Inc., the preeminent American-owned and -operated optics company, employs more than 700 people in its state-of-the-art facility near Beaverton, Ore., where Mark 4® and Golden Ring® optics are designed, machined and assembled. Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is a fifth-generation, family owned company. The product line includes rifle, handgun and spotting scopes; binoculars; rangefinders; trail cameras; flashlights; mounting systems; and optical tools and accessories.

Re: USMC Contract to Leupold Mark 8™ CQBSS™

I have a PDF but it is very small and hard to see...

They sent over a spec sheet, but it's just a single PDF cut sheet. I will image it and post it

Here is the spec sheet

Mark-8_cqbss_1_1_8x24_M-TMR_spec_sheet_2Aug10.jpg

Umm... on the M2 and Mk19? Really? I can understand the M2, but slapping one on a Mk19 is kind of like putting an elevator in an outhouse. The red dot part makes sense, but at no time during my time behind a Mk19 did I ever feel the need for an 8x magnification. I'd like to see the mount for that, given the indirect fire nature of the Mk19.

Did this beat out the similar offerings from S&B and Premier then?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did this beat out the similar offerings from S&B and Premier then? </div></div>
    Leupold won the contract through standard open competition.
    No one else had a competitive product.
    Here is the documentation for the sole source justification:
    https://www.neco.navy.mil/synopsis_file/M67854-11-P-1004_J_and_A_for_Post_Award_release_HDO.pdf

Here is the graphic of the M-TMR from the Leupold web site.
    illum-m-tmr.gif

I fondled one at the NRA convention. The glass was was pretty nice and the overall quality was very nice. The reticle was a bit small and the turrets on the sample model would turn whether I pushed the locks in or not.....maybe it wasn't working properly?

As for a $4K scope on a grenade launcher.....makes me wonder if our government has ever heard of the "king tiger" tank.........

We're running out of money but still spending $4K on grenade launcher sniper scopes.

The document linked above says $3150/unit, and anything to get those guys something better than iron sights or a fixed magnification ACOG will go far. Simply the variable power feature will be greatly effective when rolling on convoy through a village into open desert and then into a mountain pass leading into the next village. Heavy guns and open sights, while effective through many years of battle, can be improved upon. Improved target ID, ranging and accurate first burst engagement before letting loose with HEDP is a good idea.

Quite frankly I don't care what they spend when it comes to quality weapons, optics and ordnance for the ground-pounders.

I would be hard pressed to find a reason to mount an optic like that on a Mk-19. Even the M2 is a stretch for me. Not saying there aren't instances it couldn't be useful, but to me it sounds stupid. Now if it came with a gremlin that pops the round off the boltface for you when unloading after having gone condition 1, I would be more enthused

I can MAYBE see this used for emplaced weapons for perimeter defense. But there's no way I could ever see this being a feasible option for a heavy crew served weapon mounted on a vehicle.

I think this would be fine for a M2, we used Eo-tech on ours and I thought that was really nice back then. The mk-19 needs so much elevation adjustment almost 3 times that of the .50 cal, so I don't really see how that will work. Either way I am army so I will never see a Leupold Mark 8 or a Premier on an issued weapon system. I noticed the Marines are getting Premier's on the new m110s being fielded....sigh

If it was a unit I was in, I would be swapping out that sight to put on my rifle instead of a MK19.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it was a unit I was in, I would be swapping out that sight to put on my rifle instead of a MK19. </div></div>

I bet that happens within the first ~24 hours. Some smartass will gank that thing and stick it on his rifle.

The USMC always has a bigger plan than can be figured out from one purchase.

The scope is a fantastic scope and will probably find its way on lots of US Military rifles.

As to cost how about we not build one Stealth Fighter and buy these for everyone in USMC. Put all the money saved aside for all new sniper rifle systems

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fondled one at the NRA convention. The glass was was pretty nice and the overall quality was very nice. The reticle was a bit small and the turrets on the sample model would turn whether I pushed the locks in or not.....maybe it wasn't working properly?

As for a $4K scope on a grenade launcher.....makes me wonder if our government has ever heard of the "king tiger" tank.........

I´m totally sure that the king tiger tank didn´t have a leupold optic, so I obvioulsy do´nt get the draft. would you please expalin what the king tiger tank has in common with a leupold combat optic?
    Thanks
    We're running out of money but still spending $4K on grenade launcher sniper scopes. </div></div>

Well I know the army would never do that!

LOL

how are they going to use the scopes on them? neither of these weapons are shouldered. they're aimed by fire or by looking through the big ass iron sights. for a scope to work, it'd have to have a LOOOONGGGGGG ass eye relief. not to mention at 8x distances, there is so much 'lob' going to the Mk19, I don't think you can even see the target! lol

eotechs and aimpoints worked great on the M2 btw. we didn't have anything on the Mk19. I don't even remember if they have a rail on top

that sure would look good on my rifle though. LOL

I agree with a lot of whats been said I'm not sure how it'll work on a MK19. I'm just happy that the military is starting to get MUCH quicker at identifying needs and then finding fielding new gear. It wasn't always this way for sure.

Waste and fraud in the Military Budget? You don't say....

Somewhere there's a retired E-9 or O-5 with a new job at Leupold.

I wanna see the dumb ass who puts his eye behind a scope on a MK19 that produces 500lbs of recoil. The bolt itself is like 30lbs.. GOOD LUCK MARINES! We all knew you were never the smartest bunch!

Why not just phase out the MK19 and bring in the MK47? Back in '03 the USMC said "You'll get them in a year..." Far as I know special forces are still the only ones fielding them. Or maybe some better night optics, we were issued the AN-PVS 4 in '03-'07. I guess I have a hard time wondering why a fully automatic grenade launcher needs a scope, you still can't see into the defilade. (Side note: Instead of these scopes they should buy more damn feed throats, f*n boots are always loosing them.)

It seems to me that the USMC likes to lie to it self with procurement.

USMC says it needs a new light machine gun, instead it buys a heavy barrel piston M4.

I'd bet that once these scopes are purchased, they will be re-purposed and put on the IARs or M110s instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nidstyles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Waste and fraud in the Military Budget? You don't say....

Somewhere there's a retired E-9 or O-5 with a new job at Leupold. </div></div>

This. Yet another reason to despise leupold... works for me.

I agree with the ganking comment. It might stay on the .50 for all of 10 minutes. Then every non-boot with rank will be trying to stick those things on their rifle. If the pog's from supply don't just decide to keep them for themselves that is........

I too would be interested to see the mounts; I would imagine that the eye relief would be an issue.

The M2 has been around for 70+ years, and the best we can do to improve the sighting system is continue to adapt rifle scopes? There's got to be someone out their developing an optic for the M2 and MK19, with a ranging system and some type of BDC, after all the MK19 is an area weapon, in this case, close counts. How hard could that be?

That said, if they do mount the MK8 Leupolds on these platforms and beat the shit out of them like I know grunts will; that may very well validate the extravagant price tag on these if they hold true. What a great marketing angle for Leupold.

As everyone has stated...it just does not make any sense.

Wonder if the USMC was allocated the funds for crew served optics, however they plan on utilizing it for another purpose such as the EMC or other 7.62 platforms in the end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teufelhunden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As everyone has stated...it just does not make any sense.

Wonder if the USMC was allocated the funds for crew served optics, however they plan on utilizing it for another purpose such as the EMC or other 7.62 platforms in the end. </div></div>

+1. Could they be using another budget allocation knowing these will really be used on rifles in the end? That makes more sense.

Hardly any of these optics will make it to the infantry just like the M4 and para saw in 04/05. The infantry units got what was left over, when you got admin bitches walking around with brand new m4's.

It will be many years before these optics are put to good use. Until then they will be found in a chow hall near you.

...I wish someone with more information than me could explain the bigger picture here before I go putting my foot in my mouth. I think more clarity and information are needed before any real specualtion can begin, and I really want to do a whole lot of speculating...

Seems STUPID .

Unless its a round about route to get scopes into the system.

Or they are putting them into a special external adjustment mount , to allow for the rainbow traj etc .

the official marine response is that the marines already have optics for their rifles, both for short combat and long distance engagements. This being an aimpoint and ACOG. What they needed was sights for their heavy weapons.

Like everyone was saying, if I was on a firebase and these showed up, it would be on one of our rifles about 12 seconds later.

I hope it is a way to get into them into the system, however if these rifle scopes are really costing the the corps 4k a piece this is a bad desion with what little funding they already have. A scope of this "type" 1.1-8x would do well on a DMR or SAMR

Like almost everyone else, this has me stumped.

frown.gif

Scopes like these on an M2 and Mk19 make no sense. And even if this is a round-about way of just getting these scopes into the system, the per unit cost for each scope is too damn high IMHO.

They will work well on both with 3.7-3.3 eye relief, if it's in feet.

I guess the old Unertl had a lot of eye relief? Seems to me like I heard it worked well on the M2.

Someone got greased....

At the cost of 35+ dollars for LE CS rounds I would imagine that the HE rounds are substantially more expensive. I can see why they would want it. The simple cost benefit analysis of hitting the target with one round instead of three or four makes a lot of sense both tactically and financially, practicallity is another issue.

Does not even raise my eye brows, remember this is the same USMC that is buying HK416's to replace their M249's

I need to sell stuff to the military...Seems like a SS or PST would do the same job for a lot less coin.