• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC DMR build with black stock/Unertl scope!

USMCSGT0331

🔫
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    www.snipershide.com
    This is a build that has taken years of work gathering the correct parts and it's finally done! I've also been told that this is a completely unique rifle, apparently it's the only black stock USMC DMR clone that's been built with original parts. I have no idea if that's true or not, but if anyone has a black DMR build, feel free to post it up!

This build has some unique and original USMC takeoff parts:
    • Black McMillan USMC DMR stock
    • prototype USMC GG&G scope mount with USMC GG&G scope rings
    • prototype USMC Unertl MST-100 scope (1 of the first 25 built, shipped to the Corps in 1980)
    • the 1997 dated Barnett barrel with RTE-P stamp
    The rifle also has a rear lug Springfield 5 line receiver and USGI parts. I have no idea what the small parts are, so @forceman will have to prove all of the details, since he's the person who built this amazing piece of history! Seriously, if you need an M14 or any type built, @forceman is your guy!

This was a difficult build for a few reasons, the first of which was even finding the extremely rare original USMC takeoff parts and the second issue was trying to figure out how the original black DMR's were even configured. Fortunately, @Random Guy posted this rare photo in the M14 optics thread, its shows the Marines using a Unertl MST-100 that was probably stolen off an M40A1:

prototpye_usmc_dmr_black_stock_1997_close_up_redacted-png.454178

This photo was supposedly taken in 1996, so I needed to find a barrel that was close to that year. The closest I found was a 1997 dated barrel with the correct profile, so I decided to use it for the build. It's a legit USMC Barnett takeoff that was used on a target rifle or possibly even one of these black DMR's. The RTE stands for Rifle Team Equipment shop and the P is the proof mark. The USMC barrels on every rifle (M40A1, DMR, etc.) were only marked with the highly desirable RTE-P stamp after the rifle had been shot in the test shed, and passed its accuracy and function test.

Another piece of the puzzle was trying to figure out which scope mount went on these rifles. A while back I posted a thread about the USMC GG&G mounts, where I discovered that there wasn't just 1 type of GG&G mount, but 3 that were used by the Corps! I know that the 2 earlier GG&G mounts are USMC used because of photos that show them on USMC rifles and talking to old 2112's.

The most well known GG&G mount (used on the green stock DMR's) has USMC on the side of it, but the 2 earlier ones do not. Another interesting piece about the earliest mount is that it's picatinny rail is shorter than the later 2 mounts. I opted to use the earliest mount for this build, which also meant finding the correct height GG&G rings to go with the mount.

The earliest GG&G mount has a picatinny rail that's so low, I can't use the GG&G rings from a later green stock DMR. The low mount and the low rings cause the Unertl scope's objective lens housing to hit the rear sight. I solved this height problem by using an original set of GG&G rings that I took off of an original USMC Unertl MST-150 scope. The GG&G rings that were on the MST-150 scope are higher because that scope/ring set was originally used on a Barrett M82A1, not another DMR or very early M40A3. These are 30mm rings with 1" inserts that were originally made to be used with the Unertl scopes.

Looking at my rifle and comparing it to the photo @Random Guy posted, I think that I might actually have the correct set-up as in the picture, but I can't really tell. Let me know what you guys think, should I be using this mount/ring set or should I be using something else? The mount is either this one, the other early GG&G mount or possibly something from a different brand. I opted to use the GG&G mount because it's known to have been used on the early black stock DMR's (possibly on the one in the USMC photo) and it's an extremely rare part which makes the clone build just that much more awesome, lol.

Here's a photo of the 3 known types of USMC GG&G M14 DMR scope mounts, the one I used for this build is on the left:

6N5HL0W.jpeg

If anyone is interested in learning more about these USMC GG&G scope mounts, please check out my thread on them, which has a bunch of information and great photos:

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/3-versions-of-the-gg-g-usmc-dmr-mount.515610/

And finally, here's my black USMC DMR:

20230106_194952-jpg.503023

20230106_195043-jpg.503024

20230106_195143-jpg.503026

20230106_195106-jpg.503027

20230106_195431-jpg.503030

These prototype black DMR rifles are extremely important in USMC firearms history because they paved the way for the creation of the issued green stock DMR's and the chassis built M39 EMR's. The Corps wanted a more modern M14 rifle and these black DMR's were a proof of concept successfully showing what could be done to the weapons platform. The Corps probably tested a bunch of mounts, rings and scopes to see what combination worked the best. I made thus variation of the black DMR based on information that I know to be true and a few educated guesses. This rifle could have easily been made differently with other optics and mounts, but to me this version truly embodies what the black DMR was and it's the closest that I could get to replicating the rifle shown in an extremely rare photograph.

Another interesting aspect of this rifle is the use of parts that were already in USMC inventory, it's sort of a link between a few different rifles. The scope connects it to the M40A1, the rings connect it to the M82A1 and the barrel (and other M14 parts) connects it to the USMC shooting team M14 rifles. All 3 of these parts were already in use with the Marines, so it shows how they built a new prototype based on already existing parts that were on hand. All they needed was a new stock and scope mount, that's it!

Additionally, the GG&G mount wasn't even created by GG&G, it was actually a 2112 RTE shop invention! That's right, the USMC 2112's created the very first versions of this mount and provided the schematics to GG&G so that they could mass produce them. I know of only 1 USMC made "GG&G" scope mount that's still in existence, but unfortunately the old 2112 doesn't know where it currently is (he used to use it as a doorstop). A close friend has also seen the original USMC blueprints for the mount.

I've been to the GG&G Shop down in Tucson and I believe the owner's name was Tom.

I asked him what GG&G stood for and he smiled. If my memory serves correctly it's "Guns, Gear, and Gadgets."

They made the original sloped 20 MOA Picatinny rail for the AR-10 and SR-25.

Funny he told me, Good Guy’s and Guns.

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
    Very nice!

Always appreciate your posts man.. along with Mr @sirhrmechanic Mr @buffalowinter Mr @sandwarrior & Mr @pmclaine

Yall gentlemen have absolutely fine vintage blood running through your veins and are all class acts! :love:
    I certainly dont just speak for myself when I say I appreciate the heck out of yall's contributions!

Not sure what any of yall gents look like in real life aside from Mr @buffalowinter ..
    But I 100% found a pic of you, Mr @sirhrmechanic , or Mr @pmclaine shooting CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle
    :ROFLMAO::love: :love: :love: :love:

LOLOL dont lie I know for certain that has to be one a yall guaranteed! And probably placed in the top 5 if not top 3 at that with such a awesome "old meets new" state-of-the-art Service Rifle class AR + Unertl(or new Hi-Lux clone??) Or maybe @j-huskey perhaps..??

1673769312909.png

Last edited:
    A few people have asked me what I'm building next, so I decided to give you guys a peek at my next build. I have an absolutely beautiful USMC green DMR kit with original sniper paint on the stock, scope and rings! The USMC GG&G scope mount is the issued one that's not normally seen on these rifles (if you look at photo in my previous post, it's the mount on the middle). This version of the mount lacks the USMC marking at the bottom, but we still have evidence that it was used on these green DMR rifles. The 3rd I have, the one that has USMC on it, is currently with a friend. He's borrowing it for a project, which will hopefully be completed soon!

The barrel is a 2012 dated Krieger that is from a group of overrun military barrels. More than likely these barrels were from a USMC order that was canceled in 2012 or shortly after. During this time the Corps was replacing the DMR and M39 EMR with KAC M110's. My unit had both the DMR and EMR on our deployment in 2010 and I didn't see an M110 until 2012. The barrel manufacturer and profile is correct, but the date should be earlier. I might have to remove the current stamps and remark the barrel with older information, since these green rifle were first made in 1999. If anyone here has an original USMC DMR barrel that you're willing to sell or trade, please let me know, I'd love to have it for this historical build!

I still need to find a Springfield 5 line receiver and the other USGI parts. @forceman said that he wants to build this rifle to perfection, so I can't argue with that! I'll send him these parts when I track down the receiver, bolt and a few other items. This is going to be an awesome build! Even though there's a few DMR clones out there, this is going to be one of the only, if not the only, clone built from original USMC sniper painted takeoff parts. Hopefully you guys will like this build as well!

20230109_045849-jpg.503279

20230109_050223-jpg.503278

20230109_050553-jpg.503277

Since this thread has a few more DMR replicas on it, I'll include some pics of mine (built in 2019). My DMR M14 replica is not as interesting as the black-stocked prototype version on this thread, but I kind-of like it... (It was built as a post-2004 version with the SEI mount and Badger Ordnance rings). I have used it at a Quantico Shooting Club vintage match at 300 and 600 yards, and it shots good enough for me. (It's portly at 17 lbs 5 ozs w/ an empty mag.)

Attachments

• DMR_600_yard_berm2_092020.jpg
      DMR_600_yard_berm2_092020.jpg
      517.6 KB · Views: 102
    • DMR_at_300_yard_berm_092020_V2.jpg
      DMR_at_300_yard_berm_092020_V2.jpg
      793.1 KB · Views: 126
    • DMR_right_side_w_accessories.jpg
      DMR_right_side_w_accessories.jpg
      340.4 KB · Views: 119
    • DMR_case_interior_v2.jpg
      DMR_case_interior_v2.jpg
      411.5 KB · Views: 104
    • DMR_case_marking.jpg
      DMR_case_marking.jpg
      223.3 KB · Views: 89
    Last edited:
    I hope I did the Instagram links correctly in the previous 2 posts. If I messed them up I'll probably need some assistance from someone here that knows how to link that stuff to this thread.

This thread is motivation to dust the old girl off and put some rounds down range!
    My clone isn't up to your levels, but I love it...
    View attachment 8066709
    DW

Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing! Have you done a thread on this build? I'd love to see the details on it! I'm actually doing a green USMC DMR with all original takeoff parts sometime soon! Photos are up in post #13

It's a Springfield Armory Super Match lugged action, unitized gas system in USMC spec DMR stock. A.R.M.S. M14 scope mount, Leupold Mk IV 10x mildot with Badger Ordnance rings and Simrad cap. It is bedded with dyed OD Green Marine-Tex bedding compound, built by Bill Corley.
    DW

I sent my rifle out to Rob so he could use it in one of his video reviews. Looks like it turned out great! He really enjoyed reviewing it, it's now one of his favorite rifles! Hopefully I'll be getting it back soon, lol
    That was a great video to watch. Congrats on an awesome rifle!

Reactions: USMCSGT0331