• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC gets behind "action shooting" including tactical LR matches

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    It's been a long time coming, and nice to see the Corps getting behind this...

MARADMINS : 108/20

R 251454Z FEB 20
    MARADMIN 108/20
    MSGID/GENADMIN/CG TECOM QUANTICO VA//
    SUBJ/EXCELLENCE IN COMPETITION CREDIT FOR ACTION SHOOTING MATCHES//
    REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC/4 SEP 14//
    NARR/REF A IS MCO 3574.2L, MARINE CORPS COMBAT MARKSMANSHIP PROGRAMS.//
    POC/O’DRISCOLL, M. R./MAJ/OIC USMC SHOOTING TEAM/TEL: DSN 278-5450/COMM: (703) 784-5450/EMAIL: [email protected]//
    POC/SCOTT, C. D./CAPT/OIC ACTION SHOOTING TEAM/TEL: DSN 278-5275/COMM: (703) 784-5275/EMAIL: [email protected]//
    GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. Competitive shooting provides unique opportunities for Marines to push the limits of their skills and equipment in order to gain higher standards of proficiency, confidence, and lethality. For decades, traditional precision bulls-eye competitions had been the only venues to push marksmanship limits and enhance proficiency. Recently, however, the action shooting disciplines have grown in both popularity and applicability to enhancing lethality in a dynamic environment. Consistent top competitors strive to be recognized as Distinguished Shooters. This MARADMIN recognizes the importance of the action shooting disciplines and offers Marines the ability to earn recognition in this category.
    2. The Competition in Arms Program (CIAP) awards Excellence in Competition (EIC) credits to Marines who place within the top 10 percent of non-distinguished competitors at Marine Corps, Civilian Marksmanship Program, and National Rifle Association rifle and pistol matches. Once a Marine accrues 30 EIC credits at sanctioned matches, they earn the coveted title of Distinguished Rifleman or Distinguished Pistol Shot which is also signified by the corresponding marksmanship medal for wear on their uniform.
    3. The awarding of EIC credit and the distinguished classification does not easily translate between precision shooting disciplines and action shooting disciplines. Training to succeed in the precision shooting discipline allows a Marine to perfect the application of fundamental marksmanship techniques in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. Training to the action shooting discipline allows a Marine to perfect the application of dynamic, fast-paced, and complex practical shooting skills. The spirit of competitive marksmanship remains the same between disciplines, but the evolving nature of practical shooting has outpaced the legacy award system resident within the CIAP.
    4. The Captain of the Marine Corps Shooting Team (MCST), Commanding Officer, Weapons Training Battalion, Marine Corps Base Quantico, maintains responsibility, oversight, and execution of the CIAP and awarding of associated marksmanship medals. In order to modernize the CIAP, the MCST Captain is authorized to award Marines who placewithin the top 15 percent of competitors within their respective equipment division in action shooting matches per the instructions below.
    5. Coordinating Instructions
    5.a. The competition must be managed or hosted by an established organization or club, such as, but not limited to: United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA), 3-Gun Nation, United Multi-Gun League, United Shooting Sports Leagues, International DefensivePistol Association, International Practical Shooting Confederation,Steel Challenge Shooting Association, or local rod and gun clubs.
    5.b. The competition must be governed by current rulesets to ensure safety, organization, stage design, and scoring, such as those foundin paragraph 5.a.
    5.c. Action shooting matches that clearly dictate the weapon system required, such as USPSA for pistol matches or Strategic Match Design carbine matches for the rifle, will receive the associated EIC credit and medal for that weapon system. For multi-gun matches that utilize the rifle and pistol, the competitor may receive credit for only one weapon system. It is the competitor’s responsibility to declare which weapon system they are seeking EIC credit when submitting match results to the MCST.
    5.d. The top 15 percent of shooters is calculated from the number of competitors within their respective division and not the overall match results. For instance, a Marine must place within the top 15 percent of competitors within the production division of a USPSA match and not the total number of competitors.
    5.e. EIC credit and Marksmanship medals will only be awarded for the rifle and pistol. Ineligible weapon systems include, but are not limited to the: revolver, .22 caliber rimfire, lever action rifles, shotgun, precision scoped rifles, or pistol caliber carbines.
    5.f. There is no change to the legacy award system for the Distinguished Marksman or Distinguished Pistol Shot badges. The Distinguished Action badge does not exist nor does this MARADMIN authorize it. A Marine cannot become distinguished twice for one weapon system. Marines may combine EIC points from precision and action matches, but once they accrue 30 total points they will become distinguished.
    5.g. Competitors are limited to one marksmanship medal per competition. They may claim EIC credit in a total of five matches per weapon system, per calendar year.
    5.h. Competitors who place in the top 15 percent of matches with 150 or fewer competitors within their equipment division will receive Marine Corps division-level individual rifle or pistol medals. Competitors who place in the top 15 percent of matches with 151 or more competitors within their equipment division will receive Marine Corps championships-level individual rifle or pistol medals.
    5.i. In computing EIC credit, fractions of 0.6 or higher are rounded to the next higher number. An action match with 89 competitors will yield 13 EIC medals: 89 x .15 = 12.6 rounded to 13. Of those 13 medals, one-sixth will receive gold medals, the next third will receive silver, the remaining half will receive bronze medals.
    5.j. For a Marine to become distinguished from action EIC credit they must acquire 30 total points. However, a minimum of 10 points must still come from Marine Corps matches under the CIAP. A maximum of 10 points may come from action matches with 150 or fewer competitors. A maximum of 20 points may come from action matches with 151 or more competitors. All 30 points may come from Marine Corps matches under the CIAP.
    5.k. There is no change to the CIAP with respect to the awarding of team medals, which are limited to Marine Corps matches.
    6. Questions on the validity of club affiliation, rulesets, or the match they host may be forwarded to the Officer in Charge, MCST, Weapons Training Battalion, 27211 Garand Road, Quantico, Virginia 22134, or COMM (703) 784-5275.
    7. Authority to award EIC credits for action shooting matches is effective upon publication of this message and Marines may submit requests for credit to the Captain of the MCST back-dating to matches fired no earlier than 1 October 2019.
    8. This message is applicable to all Active and Reserve Marine Corps Commands.
    9. Release authorized by Major General William F. Mullen III, Commanding General, Training and Education Command.//

Last edited:
    This past weekend's Pendleton clinic and match was a huge success. Marines were showing up from their respective units (Recon, Raiders and SS's) with their TO weapons, and units provided government ammo for them to compete. A lotta knowledge bombs were going off, and a lotta lessons were being passed back and forth. Kudos for all those that supported the event...

@diablodawg

89551257_10215381934931924_624994200575803392_n.jpg
    89631899_10215381938372010_614047819291951104_n.jpg
    89739887_10215381939452037_7658423569239506944_n.jpg

And with COVID-19 being the topic of the day, Gunner put this together for a laugh..
    89848165_10215379772837873_6062961858657124352_n.jpg
    89906360_10215381935251932_4968780942425456640_n.jpg
    89920582_10215381938692018_1199264124421275648_n.jpg
    90058211_10215381935571940_2224714878038310912_n.jpg
    90380754_10215381939732044_5550197962434412544_n.jpg

Last edited:
    This is awesome.

Reminds me of Pre WWII era when servicemen were issued ammo for practice and expected to draw their weapons on their own to go to the range.

Seems to "mature" and common sense to last very long.

Someone will get jealous, fear an accident or see the rise of those not chosen and crush it out of existence.

Thanks- great photos, good plan to excel! There have been some military teams /shooters and coaches at a few of our PRS type shoots in my AO (Eastern WA) the last couple years. Should help to build KSA's!

it's great to see MIL and LEO out at the various shooting matches. vs us weekend warriors, their everyday lives actually depend on their marksmanship and gun handling skills and frankly i'm a little disappointed to not see more of them out there.

This is awesome.

Reminds me of Pre WWII era when servicemen were issued ammo for practice and expected to draw their weapons on their own to go to the range.

Seems to "mature" and common sense to last very long.

Someone will get jealous, fear an accident or see the rise of those not chosen and crush it out of existence.

Yes, and no. That's why it's important that the base shooting clubs (like SMGC) get behind it and support the matches, as well as work with the units to address questions (gov't weapons in POV's, coordinating delivery of ammo from the ammo dump, range control/inspection, base access for non-military, etc.). It'll work for the Marines, safely and efficiently, as well as provide that cross pollination between civilian, military and LEO professionals.

IMHO, this is how it should be; civilian/retired guys running the clubs, that bridge the gap where the other groups don't connect naturally.

Reactions: Dirty D
    If you listen to the Everday Sniper Podcast, we have been bringing on a lot of the USMC instructors to talk about this crossover between military and competitions.

It's a long road, especially since, only a few years ago a higher ranking Marine said the USMC Shooting Team was a waste of resources. It's great to see this kind of thinking change.

Yes, and no. That's why it's important that the base shooting clubs (like SMGC) get behind it and support the matches, as well as work with the units to address questions (gov't weapons in POV's, coordinating delivery of ammo from the ammo dump, range control/inspection, base access for non-military, etc.). It'll work for the Marines, safely and efficiently, as well as provide that cross pollination between civilian, military and LEO professionals.

IMHO, this is how it should be; civilian/retired guys running the clubs, that bridge the gap where the other groups don't connect naturally.

Agree entirely.

I shoot with a club that uses base facilities.

Like to see if they can contact local reserve unit and offer them memberships.

Our shooting is informal though, just guys getting together and shooting.

If you listen to the Everday Sniper Podcast, we have been bringing on a lot of the USMC instructors to talk about this crossover between military and competitions.

It's a long road, especially since, only a few years ago a higher ranking Marine said the USMC Shooting Team was a waste of resources. It's great to see this kind of thinking change.

Yeah, Beau and several of us have had these discussions as well. Like you said, it's nice to see attitudes slowly beginning to change, as well as see the Marines walking away excited and thoughtful after a day being on the clock and in unfamilar (but realistic) positions. Very motivating.

Understood, the point was that once the Recon, Raider and line Marines start doing this more (every month), the word will get out, and (hopefully) Precision Scoped Rifles (military) will just be another segment of these matches (along with the carbine and open class bolt action).

Reactions: lash and Dirty D
    Always love to shoot ASC (Allegheny Sniper Challenge) with the Marines that come up from MCB Quantico. Ton of fun with those guys (a lot more fun than the SEALs and SF there).

Great pics and I hope the MCB Quantico starts offering something like this. (The F class and like matches they offer are just not my interest area.)

it's great to see MIL and LEO out at the various shooting matches. vs us weekend warriors, their everyday lives actually depend on their marksmanship and gun handling skills and frankly i'm a little disappointed to not see more of them out there.
    I struggle to get my fellow officers/VETS to come to matches. They fear embarrassment. I finally got a few guys to show up and they loved it.

Reactions: lash and MarinePMI
    I shot JP 3G matches when it first got going. There was a lot more moving and shooting going on in the early days. AMU shooters Robbie Johnson and Daniel Horner were showing up.
    They were very friendly and chatty, just not very chatty about the new ammo they were shooting/testing.

Reactions: lash and Lowlight
    Oh for the days my neck and back would let me do this...Even prone hurts the neck.

90058211_10215381935571940_2224714878038310912_n-jpg.7274332

Just saw this thread. I've squaded adjacent to Scott, Alvarez and Glomba a few times. It seems like all they do is talk about eating crayons but despite that Chris Scott is a hell of a shooter.

It’d be cool if the Marines just made the ranges available to use on weekends. Neato competition, but won’t help the masses.

It’d be cool if the Marines just made the ranges available to use on weekends. Neato competition, but won’t help the masses.

My range is beginning a court fight about that.

DOD is supposed to allow civilian use, especially if a CMP club, and the CMP in the past has fought for clubs to get access.

Since Joementia came along base commanders are tightening the allowance and my club lost access.

DOD is supposed to allow civilian use, especially if a CMP club, and the CMP in the past has fought for clubs to get access.

Since Joementia came along base commanders are tightening the allowance and my club lost access.
    I’ve argued for years that the KD ranges should be run on the weekends to allow people the opportunity to hone their marksmanship skills. It always comes down to manpower.

I’ve argued for years that the KD ranges should be run on the weekends to allow people the opportunity to hone their marksmanship skills. It always comes down to manpower.

I think they should be open to active duty Marines to maintain skills as well.

In the olden times when men were men besides pay you were alloted a ration of training ammo. Troops were expected to train and they earned more for better skills.

Chicken shit that it no longer happens that way.

DOD is supposed to allow civilian use, especially if a CMP club.

It's been an ongoing issue even before Uncle Joe. The DOD began specifying that non-federal agencies could not allow use of the facilities for "less than true value". Four years ago Santa Margarita GC was told the lease renewal "value" of the range use for twice a month was raised by over $10,000 per year, plus a one-time "lead mitigation" fee of an additional $10,000. It took two year of negotiating to reduce it to a reasonable fee.

Last edited:
    • Sad
    Reactions: pmclaine