• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC M40 3-9X40 Redfield Cerakote

capthook

DirtyStinkinLeg
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2013
BTR LA
First post here so please be kind...

I'm interested to see if anyone has tried a custom mix of cerkote to match the original Redfield Greenie scopes that were found on the USMC M40 rifles.

I have been a long follower of Toki and his anodizing, have owned one, about to own another, but am curious if anyone has tried to paint one of these scopes with Cerakote.

I'm thinking of mixing a burnt bronze/ Od green to see what color combinations I can come up with. Benefits over anodizing would be repeatability and not having to disassemble the scope.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anybody ever tried it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240127_161132.jpg
    20240127_161132.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 91
I know that you're specifically looking for information on mixing Cerakote, but the links below document a build over on the M14 Forum where a clone builder (M1Army) mixed various types of Duracoat to get the look he wanted on his Redfield scope. I have no idea if any of this information will even help you out, since it's not mixing Cerakote. Maybe there's something useful here for you to look at like the painting methods or scope prep or using different colors on different parts of the scope or maybe something else.

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/finished-m40-remington-ssa-replica-project.489580/unread

In post #4 in this 2nd thread, M1Army discusses his exact painting methods with a few types/colors of Duracoat. This is how he painted his scope in the link above ^^^

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/my-new-green-redfield.503828/unread

Reactions: DIBBS
I know that you're specifically looking for information on mixing Cerakote, but the links below document a build over on the M14 Forum where a clone builder (M1Army) mixed various types of Duracoat to get the look he wanted on his Redfield scope. I have no idea if any of this information will even help you out, since it's not mixing Cerakote. Maybe there's something useful here for you to look at like the painting methods or scope prep or using different colors on different parts of the scope or maybe something else.

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/finished-m40-remington-ssa-replica-project.489580/unread

In post #4 in this 2nd thread, M1Army discusses his exact painting methods with a few types/colors of Duracoat. This is how he painted his scope in the link above ^^^

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/my-new-green-redfield.503828/unread
Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Yep, You're talking about Toki. I love the way his scopes turn out. With paint, you can almost always tell that they have been painted. Anodizing doesn't build like the paint always seems to...But with paint you wouldn't have to disassemble the scope and you could better color match. I sold a rifle to someone on M40rifle that had a Toki Scope (Think it was HarryB). The color on that scope was freaking awesome...Not sure how close it was to the originals but to me it was the perfect color.

Attachments

• 20190816_080700.jpg
    20190816_080700.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190816_080451.jpg
    20190816_080451.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 94
I had looked into this a bit, familiarize yourself with guncandy and look at the caiman mix. Something similar to that but darker with the high gloss cerekote over it would probably be close. The real deal scopes have a shine to them they are not flat, it also changes slightly in different light so that’s why I would try guncandy

I had looked into this a bit, familiarize yourself with guncandy and look at the caiman mix. Something similar to that but darker with the high gloss cerekote over it would probably be close. The real deal scopes have a shine to them they are not flat, it also changes slightly in different light so that’s why I would try guncandy

Agreed. The key is that metallic color. Thanks brother. Will look into. Appreciate it.

Capthook: yes, I treasure the SSA comm M40 I bought from you.....I displayed my M40 series rifles last November.....was very well received.....the SSA M40 drew the most interest. I posted some pics of my display under the thread "Show your M40-a6 pics" in the Bolt Action subject Forum

I saw that picture and thought it might have been the one I sold you...glad everyone is enjoying it.

Not sure if anyone noticed but if you zoom in on the photo above you can see the tombstone reticle. It attaches to the erector tube on the objective/ first focal plane side of the scope...I thought it was pretty cool

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
I was able to use some duracoat duradize OD green on a spare scope I had. Overall pretty impressed with the results. Not so impressed with the prep...Old paint needs to come off. I bead blasted one section and did another section on my belt sander with a scotchbrite pad. Now to commit to this process on one of my Redfields...

Attachments

• 20240317_152749.jpg
    20240317_152749.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: deltawiskey
You've completely disassembled the scope. I hope the addition of a paint layer doesn't prevent putting it back together. Anodizing is thinner and won't cause an assembly problem. Another issue with painting without rings being in place is that your rings may not fit properly as the tube diameter will be increased by the amount of paint used.

You've completely disassembled the scope. I hope the addition of a paint layer doesn't prevent putting it back together. Anodizing is thinner and won't cause an assembly problem. Another issue with painting without rings being in place is that your rings may not fit properly as the tube diameter will be increased by the amount of paint

You've completely disassembled the scope. I hope the addition of a paint layer doesn't prevent putting it back together. Anodizing is thinner and won't cause an assembly problem. Another issue with painting without rings being in place is that your rings may not fit properly as the tube diameter will be increased by the amount of paint used.
Correct. I may need to chase the threads for reassembly. I'll need to test to see if the paint build up affects the rings fitment. It is a very light, semi-transparent coat. This was done on a spare so I can experiment with it. I was hoping to paint a scope that wasn't disassembled. I have a couple lying around. Thanks for the input.

Hello, I'm new to this community. I recently purchased a Remington 700 SSA M40, I have the Badger Ordnance M40 Retro mount and rings. The last thing needed is the Redfield 3-9x40 USMC M40 Edition Scope. If anyone has one they are willing to sell please let me know. Thank you.

I apologize if I was out of line...wasn't trying to sell but didn't realize these were selling for so much...