• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC Sout Snipers

nicgabul

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Hi everyone, I am 15 years old and have been in love with long range shooting for a few years now. Last year I bought a Remington 700 P and a Leupold Mark 4 TMR and have been shooting with that a bit. I have been shooting a lot with a Savage 22cal and NIkon scope(mostly cause its cheaper).

What I really want to know is what i need to do and how i could prepare to try and be a USMC scout sniper? What would i need to be good at and how can i get into sniper school?

Re: USMC Sout Snipers

before you worry about sniper school, worry about being a good marine. the thing i noticed is people who try to "train" before they go in have the hardest time cuz they have built up bad habits that instructors then have to fix.

Yeah, I have been working on houses and on the farm with my Dad everyday over the summer and on the weekends in winter. I do well in school and have done Cross Country/ Football/ Track/ and Im going to wreslte.

After you go through basic do you get to sign up for what you want to try(like sniper schol) or does the MC tell you what you should do?

I'd try spelling first " Scout" .

You don't join the Marines , you become One .

I admire your zeal young blood , but you have a few years before you can join up and serve this country . Enjoy your life , work hard , put your nose to the books , ask for summer school , go to Collage for 4 years with a real life Major , study hard .

Become a leader of Men .

Then go see the recutier .

Just think , if you join at 20 do 25 years as an Officer , retire at 45 , you have another life to live with full bennies !!!! That you EARNED !!!

Ha you remind me of me about 10 years ago.

After basic you go to ITB (Infantry Training Battalion) where you learn basic infantry skills. After that you will be assigned to a unit in the fleet, and depending on how they do things, they may open a spot for you if you are super hot shiz, and you become what's called a STA (Surveillance and Target Accusation) baby. Basically meaning you were "born" into STA and don't have much interaction with the other platoons in your company. STA platoon is just another name for Scout Sniper Platoon.

If you get to the fleet and the STA platoon is having an in-doc, (tryouts) and they allow Marines who have not served a deployment, you can tryout then. If not, then you have to do a pump and come back and try. This third situation is the most common since it allows you time to grow and mature as a Marine before you step up to the next level, which is significantly more demanding.

If you want it bad enough, you'll get it. I did.

although you have a long time before you get to that point i think certain things can help you succeed

learn to enjoy running cross country.

find out what the requirments are for the PFT, and work on getting a perfect score,

learn how to read terrane maps, and land nav,

on the shooting side of things, i really would not worry about it, have fun, learn to read wind, make adjustments on scope for range, understand the balistics of shooting. understand angle shooting,

your going to learn how to do things totally diffrent when you get to the fleet, then again once you get to STA. be flexible, and be willing to learn new ways to do things. as they say theres more then one way to skin a cat

I was a sniper. I was also a recruiter. You can't be a Marine Sniper until you become a Marine first.

Here is how you prepare for being a Marine: Graduate from High School. Read books on the Marine Corps, especially its history. Don't do drugs. Don't get arrested. Don't get injured any more than you can fully heal back up from. Don't be on any meds (ADD/ADHD stuff). Don't be fat. Run like the wind. Do pull-ups every day. Go backpacking. Be a good American.

Preparing for being a sniper: Do all the above. For every round you send through that R700, shoot 100 out of your 22lr, then take the 22 squirrel hunting. Spend a lot of time in the woods. Shoot in any competitive marksmanship competitions in your area. Actually understand proper marksmanship, then implement it. Run like the wind. Then run some more. Be a Marine Infantryman.

Did I mention run?

I agree with Redmanss all the way !. But you HAVE to be in the infantry and hold any infantry MOS job first . And with that being said , you cant just join to be a sniper . You have to do a indoctrination , and then be selected to go to school . But as long as you have heart kid , you'll be fine ! And run run run pt everyday ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd try spelling first " Scout"

Then go see the "recutier" . </div></div>

Classic...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANGLICO Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd try spelling first " Scout"

Then go see the "recutier" . </div></div>

Classic... </div></div>

Ha yes ANGLICO Marine I also found that funny, the proverb, people in glass houses should not throw stones comes to mind...

sniperschool.jpg

index.php

this was from a match i shot @ Quantico last year
we had to wait for the scout snipers to finish there training before we got the range for the day
they ran these guys from one end of the range to the other and back again with full packs and rifles all day and then they ran them some more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kd185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they ran these guys from one end of the range to the other and back again with full packs and rifles all day and then they ran them some more</div></div> That would be the rule "A student in the forward motion will be at the double time."

Again, did I mention run?
grin.gif

Thanks to all the Gentlemen who provided adequate info to a young gun.
He could be on another site asking how to make a hash pipe from a beer can.
Thats gotta be worth something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kd185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
sniperschool.jpg

index.php

we had to wait for the scout snipers to finish there training before we got the range for the day
they ran these guys from one end of the range to the other and back again with full packs and rifles all day and then they ran them some more </div></div>

Who are/were the two guys at the close end of the firing line? One has a flight suit, and both have non-Marine hunting pattern camo-hats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who are/were the two guys at the close end of the firing line? One has a flight suit, and both have non-Marine hunting pattern camo-hats. </div></div>

SEALs will occasionally go to USMC sniper school if their billet is full. (Not saying that's who they are, just that they could be).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yep yep</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who are/were the two guys at the close end of the firing line? One has a flight suit, and both have non-Marine hunting pattern camo-hats. </div></div>

SEALs will occasionally go to USMC sniper school if their billet is full. (Not saying that's who they are, just that they could be).</div></div> What guys? I don't see any guys. Nothing out of the ordinary there....
cool.gif

Joined the Corps in 1982. RUN, RUN RUN. Graduated Sniper School in 1986 and 1988. RUN, RUN, RUN some more. When the men on here tell you to run, they are not kidding.

The post about being a good American is true. I was a Platoon Sergeant for a Sniper Platoon and when I held an indoc, I wanted mature Marines that I could trust to operate independently. Do well in school with reading and math. You have to be able to read and speak well. Snipers have to be able to brief a mission plan.
Do well in school, live a morale life and run like the wind. You do all those things, you will be on the right track.

For the Guys in the Pic... Since when did "The Agency" show up to Quantico..
grin.gif

These guys are like a broken record for a reason...they've been there, seen it, done it, lived it.. and pretty sure loved it.. ;0) so strap on your 3 day assault pack full of gear and Run Run Run...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kd185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
sniperschool.jpg

index.php

they ran these guys from one end of the range to the other and back again with full packs and rifles all day and then they ran them some more </div></div>

Who are/were the two guys at the close end of the firing line? One has a flight suit, and both have non-Marine hunting pattern camo-hats.</div></div>

they were soldiers from Poland if i remember correctly there for training
and they werent very good
big difference between the attention and skills of the these scout snipers in training and the guys from eastern europe

Thanks for all the info! The wrestlers at my school condition and run more than any other school around, so i think i will be doing a lot of running during this winter.
Just to be clear, after becoming a Marine for a little while then you can sign up for sniper school? Or do you have to be selected?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZTE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the info! The wrestlers at my school condition and run more than any other school around, so i think i will be doing a lot of running during this winter.
Just to be clear, after becoming a Marine for a little while then you can sign up for sniper school? Or do you have to be selected?</div></div> You first get to your infantry battalion. Each battalion has a Scout Sniper Platoon. They hold try-outs called an "indoc" when they need personnel. They sometimes select from personnel straight out of School of Infantry (SOI), and Recon/MARSOC have snipers too.

Remember, you MUST be infantry if you are to have a shot at this. Yes, Marines from other MOS's such as MP's have gone through sniper school, but it is extremely rare.

Best wishes.

It all depends if the sniper platoon is looking for marines. Every battalion is different. Rarely (but it does happen)they will take guys into the platoon as soon as they arrive from SOI if they are really hurting and you have a 1st class PFT expert rifle score you may have a chance. You could get to your fleet unit and they just ran an indoc and you might not have a chance for another year. An indoc only gets you into the platoon. THEN you have to earn the chance to attend sniper school. Which could be another year depending on deployments and available school slots. It is hard to explain if you do not know miltary structure and how things work. Basically just Run and carry heavy objects for long distances, everything else is out of your hands.

+1 KIDGLOCK. Go to school and experience the college life. Study something you can fall back on. If you still motivated after graduating, then join the Corps.

If for some reason you join and the military life does not work out, you will have another way out.

Good luck.

The only regret I have in life- the *only* regret- is not joining the service. Don't know if right of of high school or once graduated from college is the right choice but I do know college offers an awful lot of distractions that can lead you astray. I spent my first 2 years drinking beer and chasing tail every single day and while it was fun it would have been time better spent doing something productive. My advice would be to make sure that the romance of being a "sniper" doesn't overshadow the reality of becoming a marine. If you are daydreaming about creeping around in ghillie suits and making headshots on bad guys and not thinking about the commitment, the time away from friends, family, and homeland, and of course the mental, physical, and spiritual demands the corps is going to insist on, I suggest you begin doing so. I wish you luck and I thank all the guys that wore and wear a uniform!

It's October. I thought threads like this only happened in the summer.

I know its all cliche, and how every other kid these days wants to be a sniper. But I have acually made a ghille suit and have been crawling around in it and making shots with my 22. I think it would be a good idea to go to school and then decide. But i guess you never know, I might change my mind a lot in the next 3 years on the way to graduation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZTE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know its all cliche, and how every other kid these days wants to be a sniper. <span style="font-weight: bold">But I have acually made a ghille suit and have been crawling around in it and making shots with my 22.</span> I think it would be a good idea to go to school and then decide. But i guess you never know, I might change my mind a lot in the next 3 years on the way to graduation. </div></div>

34j88i0.jpg

Don't push your luck, or they might get inside your perimeter one night and crawl up on your pillow while you sleep.

Your story sounds a little familiar. My whole life as far as I can remember I wanted to join the Army. Just like my dad, both grandparents and the biggest majority of my relatives. I wanted to enlist as a Cav scout and at least have a shot at ranger school. When I got a little older in my high school years I really started preparing for it. Conditioning and training non stop. After several injuries from sports and the death of a close friend in a car crash I walked away from the sports I had played and loved for 10+ years. Most importantly football, in the town I'm from football is everything. I had already been part of one state championship team and figured at the time it wasn't worth risking anymore injuries. Stupidest decision of my life! Long story short I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis half way through my senior year. Game over, that's a automatic DQ from the military! My advice is to have goals and don't make stupid decisions that keep you from achieving them (drugs, trouble with the law and so on). But also to enjoy being young! Some things in life you only get to experience once! Don't take that for granted.

One of the best threads I've read. Great advice. Follow it. Or better yet run, run, and run after it!

ZTE,

"The Last Wolf" by Thomas Cox.
wolf.jpg

It follows his life story of trials and tribulations in the Marine Corps 1995-2004 and Chief Scout Sniper from 2000 to 2003

Good read and very informative on the subject and your question.

Just read all the post and they are great information. You are a very young man and your goal is admirable to say the least. If you continue on your path focus on becoming a well educated MARINE. This will allow you to focus on the big picture of what Marine corp life is all about, you'll become apart of something much larger then yourself. Other men will depend on you for their life and you in return. A sniper isnt someone that focuses on taking lives it a man that is centered on saving as many lifes as he can. Focus on conditioning conditioning conditional. That being said youll need it physically but much more mentally. Run RUN RUN RUN RUN and when you dont think you can run any further run more. Learn from your instructers they have been there and know what you will be up against. Be a leader and soak up all the information you can. It will be hard very hard but youll understand why only a select few are appointed to become a sniper. Best of luck young man on you dreams. Wish we had more younger generation like you .

Shooting like a sniper before hand isn't necessary. That comes with the training. While I served as an engineer I had a 30 day bout in rehab once. While I was there I met a scout sniper. We talked and became friends while we both were there. I actually shot a better rifle qualifying score than him prior to his graduation of Scout Sniper School. That is what he claimed anyway comparing resumes.

Not knowing a lot about it since it wasn't my MOS, I still know a few things. Currently the Marine Corps is full. What that means is they are selective. The recruiters tell me they want to see commitment prior to HS graduation. Anything on your record is subject to be discriminated against. Things like a underage drinking ticket or speeding. That is no good. Gone are the days with the judge offering jail or the Marines.
Tattoos are another thing. When I was in it wasn't a big issue. I don't expect at 15 you have any, but if you were to get one, keep them out of sight, above the cuff of your short sleeve shirt.

To be a scout sniper you'll need to be in excellent physical shape number one. You'd better be able to do a perfect PFT and then some. You'll be doing a lot of running with heavy packs in training for this if you meet selection. Infantry training is hard enough, but expect a lot harder at scout sniper school. I think the hardest thing is to run hard and then be able to make a shot. You'll have to do this to be a sniper. Long periods of sleep derivation and hunger is all apart of the process among other things.

Things a Marine of this caliber must possess. He would have to be physically fit, of strong will and character, be a leader, work well under pressure, work well with others and comfortable with normally only his spotter as back-up. He is an expert in field craft, land navigation, and physics relating to ballistics.

Being a scout sniper isn't for everyone. It is a community of a select few. While getting to that point, the training, and graduation is very hard. The next step is the mission. A snipers role on the battle field is a bit different than regular infantry. The mental aspects of it can be over whelming for many. They'd weed out people in the school. I guess only 30% actually graduate. But still having to methodically kill another human being isn't something that every person can stomach doing. It is a very personal businesses sniping. I know my friend had nightmares from it he couldn't shake. Something to consider.

I commend you on your desire to push yourself toward your goal. I wish you my very best and hopefully someday you will become a brother, another Marine to carry on the tradition of the USMC.

ZTE,

Joining any elite unit, and I consider Marines that, is a lot tougher than most people think.

I joined the Rangers as a kid fresh out of high school back in '81. And through four years I swear I spent a lot more blood, sweat, putting up with BS, and yes tears of both joy and pain to earn the right to wear the black beret on a daily basis than it seemed worth at the time. Then go on to wear the Ranger Tab on my left shoulder. And finally, to wear the Scuba Badge. Along with that came responsibility, first for yourself then for others. And then more. To where I finally left the Army with three stripes after four years.

The point I'm making here is don't fall in love with the glory of it unless you know you're willing to put in the work. Get used to long days. Not quitting and "finishing it tomorrow". And I'm sure I heard a few times run, run, run. It never hurts either to load up and go for a 4-5 mile "walk" a few times a week either. Do your best in school, stay out of trouble. And maintain good physical conditioning. DON'T think you have to break records now. 'Cause that's gonna break something and may cause you to miss your chance.

Back in the day, the Marine Corps Sniper school was considered the best in the world. And we had Rangers go through it. It was far above anything the Army had to offer. Even though today the Army school is modeled after the Marine Corps school I think in many ways the original school offers the better foundation.

-good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dominique</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...you HAVE to be in the infantry and hold any infantry MOS job first . And with that being said , you cant just join to be a sniper . You have to do a indoctrination , and then be selected to go to school... </div></div>

Just so you know, not all Infantry jobs will let you go and become a sniper.

When I joined the Marines all I wanted to be was a SS. Unlucky for me I ended up being a 0313 (LAV crewman). Completely dead MOS. My advice to you, if you wanna go sniper don't do anything but 0311 and do everything to stay there. Sometimes when not enough people want to be in the none glam MOS(0313,0341) they put people there and tell them, "suck it up Marine"(get used to hearing that).

Also, heard that Sniper is actually a primary MOS and no longer a secondary. I don't think this means you can sign up for it. Then again I know people who have signed up with the guarantee that they can take the Recon indoct. I guess you never know till you talk to the recruiter. Things change with them on a weekly basis.

Like stated above you don't have to be a expert shot on the rifle range to be a SS. It's a lot more about your PFT and intestinal fortitude. They'll teach you everything you need to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dominique</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...you HAVE to be in the infantry and hold any infantry MOS job first . And with that being said , you cant just join to be a sniper . You have to do a indoctrination , and then be selected to go to school... </div></div>

Just so you know, not all Infantry jobs will let you go and become a sniper.

When I joined the Marines all I wanted to be was a SS. Unlucky for me I ended up being a 0313 (LAV crewman). Completely dead MOS. My advice to you, if you wanna go sniper don't do anything but 0311 and do everything to stay there. Sometimes when not enough people want to be in the none glam MOS(0313,0341) they put people there and tell them, "suck it up Marine"(get used to hearing that).

Also, heard that Sniper is actually a primary MOS and no longer a secondary. I don't think this means you can sign up for it. Then again I know people who have signed up with the guarantee that they can take the Recon indoct. I guess you never know till you talk to the recruiter. Things change with them on a weekly basis.

Like stated above you don't have to be a expert shot on the rifle range to be a SS. It's a lot more about your PFT and intestinal fortitude. They'll teach you everything you need to know. </div></div>

+1 my advice would be to try and go 0311 for starters that way your in the unit and will know when they are taking new people. i was lucky and and got sent to STA the day after getting to the fleet but believe me thats not always the best. the senior hogs wont be happy about it and will make your life a living hell.

That being said, none of the "sta babies" got a chance to go to school for about 2 years when they had picked up rank and older guys were leaving but your chances of passing will be higher.

the guys that come in the old fashioned way with one deployment under their belt and time in the line company really appretiated the freedoms STA has to offer as far as opperating in smaller groups. and alot less BS compared to line platoons. There will still be BS but its not that bad with strong leadership and a platoon that can keep a profeshional garison appearance/deception.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackWhiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha you remind me of me about 10 years ago.

After basic you go to ITB (Infantry Training Battalion) where you learn basic infantry skills. After that you will be assigned to a unit in the fleet, and depending on how they do things, they may open a spot for you if you are super hot shiz, and you become what's called a STA (Surveillance and Target Accusation) baby. Basically meaning you were "born" into STA and don't have much interaction with the other platoons in your company. STA platoon is just another name for Scout Sniper Platoon.

If you get to the fleet and the STA platoon is having an in-doc, (tryouts) and they allow Marines who have not served a deployment, you can tryout then. If not, then you have to do a pump and come back and try. This third situation is the most common since it allows you time to grow and mature as a Marine before you step up to the next level, which is significantly more demanding.

If you want it bad enough, you'll get it. I did. </div></div>ITB??? When I went, it was called SOI (School of Infantry). Has it changed?

If you are a student of the rifle, then go Grunt.

Sign as 0311 and don't let them convince you into anything else.

Learn fast, stay smart and stay hard. You will see the openings and the path you need to take. That's what I did.....except for the smart and hard stuff.

You can get to Sniper School through other MOS, but it's harder and sometimes less rewarding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J_Roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackWhiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha you remind me of me about 10 years ago.

If you want it bad enough, you'll get it. I did. </div></div>ITB??? When I went, it was called SOI (School of Infantry). Has it changed? </div></div>

ITB is part of SOI. All 03xx Marines go to Infantry Training Battalion, All other MOS go to MCT (Marine Combat Training). Both are part of the School of Infantry. I am sure it was that way for you, that is how it was for me in 99-03.

hey guys, caught a Marine thread so I'll toss you this question. I'm 23 and graduating college in the Spring, considering joining the brotherhood as well. My old man was in for 29 years, retired in 06 as a CWO5, being in 2nd FR in the 80s so I've naturally grown up wanted to follow his footsteps and do something similar.

I've come tothe crossroad, at this point, of which route to go: OCS or enlist. I've talked to both multiple times and have submitted a "rough application" to an OSO. I've heard the speech from many people, "focus on being a Marine first," so that doesn't need to be reiterated
wink.gif
If I were to come out a butterbar following OCS, do officers have any role in actual sniper teams? This question also goes for MARSOC, though it looks like many of you got out before the transition from FR. Just looking to put myself in a position to have the "dream job" of being in an actual operations team in MARSOC (not just coordinating it and sitting back) or filling a sniper billet one day. I've looked up MOSs but didnt see any officer MOS similar to 0321 or 0317. I am not planning on making a career out of the USMC (though things change)so if the only shot i have of one day being operational is to enlist, then it looks like this degree is a waste haha. ANY input would be greatly appreciated, the guys on Military.com are pretty self important A$$es that prefer to puff their chest out and call you a wannabe to actually being helpful.

If all else fails just keep a good rep and when re-enlistment time comes up make sniper school your bribe. But try for whatever bonus they offer too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirate26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys, caught a Marine thread so I'll toss you this question. I'm 23 and graduating college in the Spring, considering joining the brotherhood as well. My old man was in for 29 years, retired in 06 as a CWO5, being in 2nd FR in the 80s so I've naturally grown up wanted to follow his footsteps and do something similar.

I've come tothe crossroad, at this point, of which route to go: OCS or enlist. I've talked to both multiple times and have submitted a "rough application" to an OSO. I've heard the speech from many people, "focus on being a Marine first," so that doesn't need to be reiterated
wink.gif
If I were to come out a butterbar following OCS, do officers have any role in actual sniper teams? This question also goes for MARSOC, though it looks like many of you got out before the transition from FR. Just looking to put myself in a position to have the "dream job" of being in an actual operations team in MARSOC (not just coordinating it and sitting back) or filling a sniper billet one day. I've looked up MOSs but didnt see any officer MOS similar to 0321 or 0317. I am not planning on making a career out of the USMC (though things change)so if the only shot i have of one day being operational is to enlist, then it looks like this degree is a waste haha. ANY input would be greatly appreciated, the guys on Military.com are pretty self important A$$es that prefer to puff their chest out and call you a wannabe to actually being helpful. </div></div>

The job for Officers to be in those kind of roles is in intel. As an Officer you will not be able to have the "dream jobs" actually, just be in charge of those who do.

If your not thinking of being a lifer and really want to do the cool stuff, go enlisted. Then at the end of your first enlistment decide what you want to do. You always have your degree to fall back on and can basically go to OCS anytime you feel like it. You'll know what's what, and have a little more respect as a mustang too.

Be high speed and stay out of legal trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirate26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wink.gif
If I were to come out a butterbar following OCS, do officers have any role in actual sniper teams? This question also goes for MARSOC, though it looks like many of you got out before the transition from FR. Just looking to put myself in a position to have the "dream job" of being in an actual operations team in MARSOC (not just coordinating it and sitting back) or filling a sniper billet one day. I've looked up MOSs but didnt see any officer MOS similar to 0321 or 0317. I am not planning on making a career out of the USMC (though things change)so if the only shot i have of one day being operational is to enlist, then it looks like this degree is a waste haha. ANY input would be greatly appreciated, the guys on Military.com are pretty self important A$$es that prefer to puff their chest out and call you a wannabe to actually being helpful. </div></div>

Hey pirate,
As an Officer, the chances of you getting into an "operations team" are slim, as you may well know. The best bet you have is to go for Infantry Officer, and hope you are one of the lucky, and smart, ones. Ground Intelligence Officers (MOS 0203) are the ones who will be leading the scout/sniper platoons. But, like you fear, you will not be the one in the field taking the shots and kicking in doors and all the high-speed jazz you hear about. You will be back in a tent taking orders from higher and relaying all the high speed intel your guys are gathering.

As an Officer, you will train with your Marines, and be technically and tactically proficient just as they are. Your role is to lead from the front, whether it be in a chair making sure your guys have enough bullets to shoot the **** out of paper the next day, or being in the field with them running through practical applications or training in general.

With all that said, comes your issue of Officer/Enlisted. Like you said, you will be a Marine first no matter the rank, billet, or position. You know that already. One thing you have wrong however, is that your degree is a waste. Being enlisted with a college degree will give you a little edge over your fellow PFC's when it comes time to apply for special schools and billets (sniper school). You might get lucky if you go 0311, like these guys have said, and get into a MARSOC unit. Be smart at bootcamp (shouldn't be hard for a college guy), perform, and get what you want with luck. After that, it's ALL needs of the Marine Corps.

Being a Marine is distinction and honor, to be an Officer of Marines would be leading the finest warfighting organization in the world, and their is no higher honor.

You're still going to have to be able to run if you go to OCS though
wink.gif
trust me. A lot...

If I had my life to live over again, my aspiration would be to become an infantry platoon sergeant.

It's the most important job in the Corps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the most important job in the Corps.
</div></div>

And the shittiest.....

<span style="font-weight: bold">To Pirate26</span>...if you want to be a door kicker, shooter, killer....you need to enlist and eat mud like everyone else. Officers manage. Enlisted DO.

ALSO, bear in mind some of the most respected officers are "Mustangs". The were enlisted first, then became commissioned officers.