• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMCSGT0331 newbies guide to building a M40

Chris831

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2024
Salinas ca
*Edited* Renamed my original title to something more appropriate

Hi, I’ve searched the previous post on here and seems like the Beever156 M40 stock is a good candidate for a M40 build. I was wondering for those that had/have it; and tips or tricks as to modifying it? I know the foreend needs to be reshaped but how about fitment? Is it a direct bolt on? I would like to bed this myself but I don’t have any bedding/stock experience so I may source it out or leave it as is.

So my experience is pretty much zero when it comes to gunsmith. This is actually my first rifle I plan to build as all my previous experience has been with ARs which is for the most part just bolt on.

I have already read the topics of the M40 builds here and it’s been really helpful if not more confusing for me. I have a Remington 700P in .308 as my build platform. I dunno if this is a wise choice or not but since I rarely shoot it, I figure I can clone it into something I probably will ( I would like to use my M40 clone in the CMP vintage sniper matches which just got approved to allow the M40/M70//XM21. It will not be a true replica/ clone as I don’t plan to clip slot it, need to cut it down to 24”, etc but good enough where I can use it for matches.

Sorry for all the rambling from a newbie but any tips/ tricks/ advice given would be great whether it be positive or negative. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Other guys will have to help you out with your questions, but here is a ton of information on the exact dimensions of the original circa 1966 USMC M40 wood stocks. Use the information below when modifying your new reproduction USMC M40 wood stocks. This is the only place you will ever find this information, this info isn't in any reference books or in other websites/forums. It took me forever to measure the original USMC M40 stocks in my collection and create the measurement chart below, but it was 100% worth the effort! Please let me know if you have any questions. I created all of the information below, so I should be able to help with anything related to it. Just keep measuring your stock as you're working on it, and keep comparing it to the measurements on my chart below (use the mean/average column, not information on an individual stock).

Please keep in mind that this is as accurate and repeatable with each original USMC M40 stock as I could possibly make it. I've done an enormous amount of first-hand research with the entire M40 series of sniper rifles, all of which is has resulted in completely new information for the collector/historian community. M40 stock research like this has never been done before, this is all new information that isn't in any reference book.

If you're finishing a wood stock for your M40 clone build, please use the information I've provided below. Compare my measurements with the measurements from your stock and see how well they match up. The closer that your stock's measurements are to what I have listed in my chart below, the closer your stock will be to the original USMC M40 stocks.

The first two stocks on the chart (#3 and #14) are named after the rack numbers that were painted or stamped onto each of these stocks. The next four stocks on the chart are named after the last 4 digits of the original M40 serial number that was stamped on the bottom of the grip. If anyone needs information about the number stamps used on the bottom of the stock's grip, I can take measurements from the stamped numbers and post that information (clone builders might want to replicate these numbers on their stocks using the last 4 digits of their rifle's receiver serial number). The last stock on the list didn't have any identifying marks, so it's named after it's lack of numbers.

The 7 stocks are all in a row across the top of the chart. The 28 areas of measurement (of which only 27 are used) are all in a column down the chart. The A to Z letters in the chart correspond to the A to Z letters in the list below this paragraph. The list below tells you what measurement each letter represents. Since the list below isn't descriptive and concise enough on it's own, I also included photographs of an original USMC M40 stock with the A to Z measurements drawn onto the stock in the photos. Each line on the stock in the photos has a letter next to it, that letter can be matched up to it's counterpart on the descriptive list. All of this information is probably extremely obvious to you guys, but I still wanted to document everything in case some people had any questions.

One last note, in the photos below, you'll see 2 photos of the M40 stock's forend. This is not the same photo/information erroneously posted a second time, each of the 2 stock forend photos contains a different set of measurements. So, please look closely at them! Let me know if you guys have any questions about these M40 stock measurements, I'll do my best to answer them.

All measurements below and in the chart are in inches.

A. Length from the front of the recoil lug to the tip of the forend

B. Length from the tip of the forend to the center of the front sling swivel

C. Height of the stock at the tip of the forend (bottom of the stock to bottom of the barrel channel)

D. Height of the stock at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

E. Height of the stock at the front sling swivel

F. Height of the stock midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

G. Height of the stock at the front of the recoil lug

H. Width of the stock at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

I. Width of the stock at the front sling swivel

J. Width of the stock midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

K. Width of the stock at the front of the recoil lug

L. Width of the barrel channel at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

M. Width of the barrel channel at the front sling swivel

N. Width of the barrel channel midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

O. Width of the barrel channel at the front of the recoil lug

P. Height of grip

Q. Width of grip

R. Circumference of the grip

S. Grip protrusion below the stock

T. Length of thumb cut on the cheek piece

U. Length of cheek piece

V. Height of cheek piece

W. Width of cheek piece

X. Height of butt

Y. Width of butt

Z. Length from end of the butt of the center of the rear sling swivel

OAL – Stock overall length (without buttplate)

Arc – The arc of the grip (I never got around to measuring this area of the stock, so there isn't any arc information recorded on the chart)

1000008847-jpg.8337279

1000008848-jpg.8337280

1000008850-jpg.8337281

Yellow highlight = bedding material throws off the measurements

Yes, I still have all the information I ever posted on the M40 Forum, nothing of mine is lost.

Look at my post in this thread on page 3 (Post 125). I've posted a ton of M40 stock information on this forum over the years, so please let me know if this stuff helps or if you need more information.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/m40-stock.6989158/page-3

Other guys will have to help you out with your questions, but here is a ton of information on the exact dimensions of the original circa 1966 USMC M40 wood stocks. Use the information below when modifying your new reproduction USMC M40 wood stocks. This is the only place you will ever find this information, this info isn't in any reference books or in other websites/forums. It took me forever to measure the original USMC M40 stocks in my collection and create the measurement chart below, but it was 100% worth the effort! Please let me know if you have any questions. I created all of the information below, so I should be able to help with anything related to it. Just keep measuring your stock as you're working on it, and keep comparing it to the measurements on my chart below (use the mean/average column, not information on an individual stock).

Please keep in mind that this is as accurate and repeatable with each original USMC M40 stock as I could possibly make it. I've done an enormous amount of first-hand research with the entire M40 series of sniper rifles, all of which is has resulted in completely new information for the collector/historian community. M40 stock research like this has never been done before, this is all new information that isn't in any reference book.

If you're finishing a wood stock for your M40 clone build, please use the information I've provided below. Compare my measurements with the measurements from your stock and see how well they match up. The closer that your stock's measurements are to what I have listed in my chart below, the closer your stock will be to the original USMC M40 stocks.

The first two stocks on the chart (#3 and #14) are named after the rack numbers that were painted or stamped onto each of these stocks. The next four stocks on the chart are named after the last 4 digits of the original M40 serial number that was stamped on the bottom of the grip. If anyone needs information about the number stamps used on the bottom of the stock's grip, I can take measurements from the stamped numbers and post that information (clone builders might want to replicate these numbers on their stocks using the last 4 digits of their rifle's receiver serial number). The last stock on the list didn't have any identifying marks, so it's named after it's lack of numbers.

The 7 stocks are all in a row across the top of the chart. The 28 areas of measurement (of which only 27 are used) are all in a column down the chart. The A to Z letters in the chart correspond to the A to Z letters in the list below this paragraph. The list below tells you what measurement each letter represents. Since the list below isn't descriptive and concise enough on it's own, I also included photographs of an original USMC M40 stock with the A to Z measurements drawn onto the stock in the photos. Each line on the stock in the photos has a letter next to it, that letter can be matched up to it's counterpart on the descriptive list. All of this information is probably extremely obvious to you guys, but I still wanted to document everything in case some people had any questions.

One last note, in the photos below, you'll see 2 photos of the M40 stock's forend. This is not the same photo/information erroneously posted a second time, each of the 2 stock forend photos contains a different set of measurements. So, please look closely at them! Let me know if you guys have any questions about these M40 stock measurements, I'll do my best to answer them.

All measurements below and in the chart are in inches.

A. Length from the front of the recoil lug to the tip of the forend

B. Length from the tip of the forend to the center of the front sling swivel

C. Height of the stock at the tip of the forend (bottom of the stock to bottom of the barrel channel)

D. Height of the stock at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

E. Height of the stock at the front sling swivel

F. Height of the stock midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

G. Height of the stock at the front of the recoil lug

H. Width of the stock at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

I. Width of the stock at the front sling swivel

J. Width of the stock midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

K. Width of the stock at the front of the recoil lug

L. Width of the barrel channel at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

M. Width of the barrel channel at the front sling swivel

N. Width of the barrel channel midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

O. Width of the barrel channel at the front of the recoil lug

P. Height of grip

Q. Width of grip

R. Circumference of the grip

S. Grip protrusion below the stock

T. Length of thumb cut on the cheek piece

U. Length of cheek piece

V. Height of cheek piece

W. Width of cheek piece

X. Height of butt

Y. Width of butt

Z. Length from end of the butt of the center of the rear sling swivel

OAL – Stock overall length (without buttplate)

Arc – The arc of the grip (I never got around to measuring this area of the stock, so there isn't any arc information recorded on the chart)

1000008847-jpg.8337279

1000008848-jpg.8337280

1000008850-jpg.8337281

Yellow highlight = bedding material throws off the measurements

Yes, I still have all the information I ever posted on the M40 Forum, nothing of mine is lost.

Look at my post in this thread on page 3 (Post 125). I've posted a ton of M40 stock information on this forum over the years, so please let me know if this stuff helps or if you need more information.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/m40-stock.6989158/page-3
Thank you very much for this information! I’ve been trying to study all the information presented on the 26 pages on the M40 build thread. In fact, I know a ton of people are currently building M40s to use in competition this yr as it is the first yr newer sniper rifles are allowed....that and most of these people have a ton of 700 parts laying around so cost is next to nothing. I do appreciate the amount of work regarding info you and others have contributed to this page. Too be honest, my budget isn’t great so I’m trying to do as much myself and don’t mind learning among the way.

Warning to everyone - This is an extremely long post (31 paragraphs, including this one!!!), but it's a very detailed USMC M40 clone build guide. This is probably the most complete M40 build guide published, and I give different options for various parts. I guarantee that there's useful information in here for everyone, so please read or skim this post! There's a few things that I didn't cover, but it's long enough as it is (I can always update it with more information). This started out as a specific response to the OP's build, but it gradually developed into a massive, all-encompassing M40 build guide.

@Chris831

You don't need to spend a lot to have a great competition M40 build. You already have the stock, so it's just your personal time working on it so that it's perfect. I've already done all the heavy listing with the free research I've provided, so just use those measurements when working on your wood stock. Take your time on it and hand fit the parts to the stock. You or your gunsmith will bed the barreled action and bottom metal, but you'll still want a nice fit for these parts when you're carving up your stock (make sure the bottom metal and buttplate are nice and flush). When you're finished with carving up your stock, use some boiled linseed oil (BLO) to seal the wood and make the stock look amazing!

If you don't already have the specific Remington 16601 aluminum buttplate, you'll probably get one with your 1960's vintage donor rifle. If you're not using a vintage donor rifle, the correct Remington 16601 buttplates are easy to find. Please let me know if you nees one, I have a bunch and can send you one for free. Remember to reanodize or paint your entire buttplate black, you don't want the shiny silver raw aluminum sides like what's on the commercial Remington rifles. All USMC M40's had fully anodized black 16601 buttplates, none of them ever has exposed metal sides like the commercial rifles that used the same buttplate. The buttplate should be anodized black, and the trigger guard should be anodized a dark gray.

If you don't already have a barrel, get a Bartlein barrel on order! @Frank Green makes the best barrels you can buy, and he can make them in the original USMC M40 profile (Remington varmint profile). He can also make exact spec M40A1 barrels too, I send him one of my original circa 1978 USMC M40A1 barrels and he took the measurements. He did the same with an original circa 1966 USMC M40 barrel another well known collector sent him many years ago, so you can be sure that you will have the 100% correct profile for your new USMC M40 barrel. It might be a little bit more money than other barrels, but it's not just the correct M40 profile, it's also one of the best, most accurate barrels that you can buy (which is pretty important if you plan on using the rifle in competitions).

A Bartlein M40 profile barrel blank is probably under $500. You don't need an expensive Bartlein barrel blank, you can can get cheaper ones that are in the correct Remington varmint profile (either from the barrel company or turned by the gunsmith doing the build). A cheaper barrel will save you some money, but I recommend a high end Bartlein barrel of you're using this rifle competitively.

As for the scope and mount, grab an original circa 1960's Redfield 3-9x glossy black commercial scope off eBay or wherever, and send it to @tokiwartooth (if he's still anodizing scope, which I really hope he's still doing) for matte green anodizing. Use a gen 1 (not gen 2) Redfield 3-9x scope with the low elevation/windage turret caps. The commercial scopes will be glossy black, but don't worry about the finish, you'll anodize or paint it green. Also, don't worry about trying to find the correct/rare reticle and rangefinder "tombstone". Just get whatever reticle you prefer or whatever is available. Just make sure the external features are correct. A 1960's vintage gen 1 Redfield 3-9x scope with correct external features should be under $500. The anodizing or painting might run a few hundred dollars.

The scope mount and rings are going to be some of your cheapest parts! Just go on eBay to buy a vintage Redfield 700SA marked scope base that will fit your Remington 700 short action receiver, and a set of Redfield 1" low height 4 top screw scope rings (both the base and rings will be glossy blued, not matte finish or anything else). You need a very specific type of Redfield 700SA scope base, let me know if you need photos and information about the correct type. Redfield probably made a dozen different 700SA bases over the years, and some of them are quite different looking than the one you need (don't be fooled into buying a lightweight 700SA base or any other incorrect type).

Your vintage Redfield 700SA scope base will probably have rounded corners, which were used on later non-USMC M40's and on USMC transitional M40A1 rifles. The correct Redfield 40X scope base was used on the USMC M40 rifles, but they're impossible to find and will cost $2,000+ for just the scope base! A key feature of the Redfield 40X USMC M40 scope base is the square corners, instead of the roundes ones that the Redfield 700SA scope bases are known for. There are exceptions to this rule, but I'm not getting into that now.

You can use the round corner 700SA base just the way it is (absolutely nothing wrong with that for a clone, since some 40X bases did have round corners), or you can have the corners on the 700SA base squared off. If you want square corners on your 700SA base, ask your gunsmith to weld the corners up, square them off, and then reblue the base. If you want, you could also have your gunsmith weld the 700's marking on the bottom of the scope base and have him remark it 40X.

Remarking the bottom 40X after squaring off the corners won't make a fake 40X base, and it won't fool someone looking closely at it. The reason is because the original 40X bases are different than the original 700SA bases, and have different screw hole and scope ring placement on the base itself. When done correctly, the scope base will look like the original USMC M40 40X scopes bases, and it will probably cost under $100 for your gunsmith to do this custom work to the base. But, like I said, this is just cosmetic and isn't truly necessary to do, unless you really want the square corner look.

The scope rings are much easier to deal with than the scope base! Just get a nice set of vintage Redfield 1" diameter, low height, 4 top screw, glossy blued scope rings. Don't get a different diameter, don't get the medium or tall height, and don't get the 2 top or bottom screw rings. Just get rings with the correct features that I listed, don't deviate from the correct features. The original USMC M40 scope rings were marked on the bottom with either 1-64 or 1-66. You can try to find rings marked this way, but it's not necessary unless you're building an extremely detailed USMC M40 clone.

The 1-64 and 1-66 marked scope rings will also cost you over $100 for a set of the correct ones (low height, 1" diameter, etc.). Be aware of idiot sellers trying to pass off medium height 1-64 and 1-66 marked scope rings! They are lying asaholes who are trying to take advantage of people! The USMC M40's never used medium height scope rings, and the USMC transitional M40A1's never used 1-64 or 1-66 marked medium scope rings (the transitional A1's only used unmarked medium rings). You'll save a lot of money by just spending $20 on a set of unmarked Redfield scope rings with the other correct features (1" diameter, low height, 4 top screws). You'll never see the markings on the underside, so save some money here, and get the unmarked rings for your competition rifle.

I don't know if you have a donor rifle yet, but early 1960's vintage Remington 700 short action 6 digit serial number rifles are very easy to find. There's pretty much no excuse not to use one, unless you really don't have any money to spend. The correct USMC M40 serial number ranges are 221xxx, 224xxx, and 322xxx. However, if you find a donor rifle in one of these 3 serial number ranges on Gunbroker or other public auction, expect to get into a bidding war with high level M40 collectors/cloners. A donor rifle in those 3 correct USMC M40 serial number ranges will easily sell for $3,000 to $4,000+ (especially the 221xxx and 224xxx ranges, they're worth more than the 322xxx range receivers).

You should be looking for any Remington 700 short action donor rifles with correct features (correct bolt handle, bolt shroud, bolt face diameter, tall safety lever, split sear trigger, 16601 aluminum buttplate) that are in the 6 digit serial number range. The 200xxx serial number should start in early 1966 and it will go up to about 350xxx or so in mid 1968 (right before the 1968 Gun Control Act). So, search for Remington 700 short action donor rifles from about late 1965 to mid 1968. Anything within that time-frame will be great for a 6 digit serial number donor rifle! Look for numbers like 222xxx or 223xxx, those are circa 1966 receivers that are right between thr 221xxx and 224xxx serial number ranges. Just decide if you want a 2xxxxx or 3xxxxx receiver, and go from there. The 2xxxxx range is far more popular than 3xxxxx range, since the 322xxx range isn't very well known.

Look for .308 caliber donor rifles in your serial number range, since that those rifles will have the correct bolt face diameter (.470") you'll need for the 7.62x51 ammo that you'll be using in your M40 clone. Also look for other calibers that have the bolt face diameter you need, that will help you expand your search for donor rifles. Other calibers with the same .470" bolt face diameter as the .308/7.62x51mm include .22-250 and .358 Winchester. Even though calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor have the correct bolt face diameter you need, they are modern calibers and weren't around back in 1966. So, look for old calibers other than .308, it will help you widen your search and make things a little bit easier!

Check out the opening post in this thread for a list of bolt face diameters and the calibers associated with each bolt face size. Reference this list when you're looking at donor rifles that aren't chambered in .308:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/bolt-face-diameters.36661/

Here's a list of short action calibers with a bolt face diameter of .470", which is the correct bolt face size for an M40 chambered in 7.62x51mm (this caliber list is taken directly from the link above this sentence). I reformatted this caliber list so that it was easy to use. Keep a copy of this list somewhere close by, and use it to find the perfect donor rifle for your next M40 clone build!
.225 Winchester
.22-.250 Remington
6mm Norma BR
.243 Winchester
6mm Creedmoor
.250 Savage
.260 Remington
6.5-.284 Norma
6.5 Creedmoor
7-08 Remington
.284 Winchester
.300 Savage
7.62x51mm NATO
.308 Winchester
.338 Federal
.35 Remington
.358 Winchester

Now take a look at the Gunbroker link right below this paragraph. This GB auction is for a great 211xxx rifle chambered in .243 Winchester. This rifle is extremely close to the 221xxx USMC M40 serial number range, and the .243 Win caliber has the same .470" bolt face diameter as the 7.62x51mm. You're able to use the receiver, bolt, trigger with safety lever, bottom metal, and 16601 buttplate from this donor rifle. That's a lot of parts from 1 purchase! The bottom metal looks great, use it as is on your M40 clone. The trigger has the correct tall safety and it will also have a split sear. You can't get all of these great parts if you buy a cheaper modern Remington receiver. You can also sell the stock and barrel to recoup some of the money spent acquiring the donor rifle. The buy-it-now price is $1,300, which is pretty great for all that you're getting off of this donor rifle. I don't have any affiliation with this seller, I just wanted to show what a good doner rifle near the USMC M40 serial number range looks like and how many parts can be salvaged off of it. I also wanted to show that you don't need to only look for .308 caliber donor rifles, you can use any donor rifle with a caliber that has a .470" bolt face, so set your Gunbroker saved searches accordingly. Check out this M40 donor rifle:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/1036544638

Expect to pay $800 to about $1,500 for a nice 6 digit serial number donor rifle with the correct features (these will be outside the 221xxx, 224xxx, and 322xxx serial number ranges). Don't both with the 3 expensive correct USMC M40 serial number ranges, unless you find one for a great price at a gunshow or store (anywhere that's not a public auction that won't reach $4k).

If you want to save a lot of money, you can just buy a $500 newer production RR prefix serial number donor rifle, and use that for the build. However, there's a ton of differences between vintage and modern Remington 700 receivers:

● The serial number range on modern receivers aren't in the correct USMC M40 serial number ranges
● Modern receivers have a laser engraved serial number and "Remington 700" marking, whereas vintage receivers have stamped information (laser engraving is so sterile/bland/heartless, stamp receivers are always better! This also applies to AR15 clone lower receivers!)
● The "Remington" marking on the left side of modern receivers is not underlined, whereas the "Remington" marking on vintage receivers is underlined
● Modern bolt handles are too thick
● Modern bolt shroud are too long
● Modern Remington trigger sears and safety levers are wrong
● The inside of a modern receiver has an anti-binding bolt rail, whereas the inside of a vintage receiver doesn't
● Modern bolts have a cut in the right lug that engages with the receiver's anti-bind right rail, whereas the vintage bolts don't have a cut in the right lug and the right lug rides above the right rail in the receiver (you also can't use a vintage bolt in a modern receiver, unless you make the cut in the vintage bolt's right lug so that it can engage the modern receiver's anti-bind right rail. You can easily test this out yourself by taking a vintage bolt and a modern receiver, and trying to put the bolt in the receiver, it's just not going to work)

Take a look at all the differences between vintage and more Remington 700 receivers and bolts, it's quite a bit! I've never seen any of this information comparing the vintage and modern donor rifle receivers before, so this is a pretty unique part of this USMC M40 clone build guide! You could save money by buying a cheaper modern Remington 700 receiver, but look at the stuff you need to fix (trigger, safety lever, etc.) and look at the stuff that you're pretty much stuck with (different markings, bolt handle, etc.). That's quite the negative trade-off for saving a few hundred dollars not buying a vintage Remington 700 donor rifle to begin with! It will cost money to fix a few things, so the low cost of a modern receiver will increase when these expenses are added to the build cost. It's ALWAYS better using a vintage Remington 700 receiver for the USMC M40 clone build. Hell, I'd even take an incorrect vintage 5 digit serial number receiver over any modern receiver! You can find 5 or 6 digit serial number range donor rifles for under $1,000, so just use one of those. In the long run, you'll be much, much happier with your build if you start with a vintage receiver!

If you want your receiver to look correct, you'll need to send it to someone like Mark Williams at Raven Rifles who can do the correct cuts and markings on the receiver. The 4 correct USMC M40 receiver cuts are the clip slot cut, bullet nose cut, the left rail cut, and the thumb cut. It will cost hundreds of dollars for a competent gunsmith to make these cuts. If you want to save money, just get the thumb cut, since that's by far the most noticeable of the 4 receiver cuts. The clip slot and bullet nose cut will be hidden under the scope base, and the left rail cut is different to determine unless you know what to look for. I think all USMC M40 clones, no matter what level of "correctness" the build is, need to have the thumb cut on the right side of the receiver at minimum. The rifle will just look weird without this singe receiver cut, so no matter what, you'll need this cut for your rifle to look like an M40 clone. You said that you didn't want to spend too much money, so it's up to you whether or not you want to pay more to have the other 3 receiver cuts done.

You also need to make sure that your gunsmith marks the left side of the receiver with a "U.S." stamp in the correct location above the serial number. Most gunsmiths use the wrong size "U.S." stamp, and they mark it too low on the receiver. Gunsmiths usually mark it where the M24's "U.S." stamp is located, or in between where the M24 and M40 stamps are located. The correct location for the "U.S." stamp on a USMC M40 will line up with the left rail on the receiver. Just extend a ruler along the left rail, and put the "U.S." stamp right on this extended ruler line. I've previously posted photos of the correct location and how to find it, so I can supply photos if your gunsmith needs them. Just like the thumb cut, all USMC M40 clones should, at minimum, have a proper "U.S." stamp on the receiver.

The barreled action (the receiver, recoil lug and barrel) should be parkerized, the entire bolt should be blued (handle and body), the bottom metal should be anodized dark gray, and the buttplate should be anodized black. Thise are the correct metal finishes on a USMC M40.

You can use the trigger that came with your 1960's vintage donor rifle, it should have a split sear and a very noticeable tall safety lever. The split sear trigger isn't too important, unless you want a very detailed clone, but it will come with your rifle from that time-frame. The tall safety will also be on your donor rifle from that time-frame, but sometimes people swap them out to sell separately, and then install a common Remington trigger back in the rifle. If you're using the period correct Remington trigger with the tall safety, have a good gunsmith tune it for you when they build your rifle. It's about a $100 fee or less to do the trigger work, but it's worth every penny, especially since you'll be competing with the rifle! I don't know about the CMP rules, but see if an aftermarket trigger is allowed for use.

You said that you don't want to spend too much, so I'd highly recommend just using the Remington trigger that comes with your donor rifle, and having it tuned up perfectly! A properly tuned Remington trigger will be just as good as any expense aftermarket trigger that costs hundreds of dollars. I have a few tuned Remington triggers that are unbelievable, and the rifle's previous owners did use them in competition decades ago. A Remington trigger that's been properly worked on is orders of magnitude better than a basic stock trigger. It's the regular triggers that get ragged on all the time, and for good reason. Save some money, pay $100 or less for your gunsmith to do something amazing with your donor rifle's trigger! Just make sure that the trigger meets any trigger pull weight requirements, if the vintage sniper competition has any such requirements.

I think that last part to discuss is the sling swivels. Just pick up a pair of Wichita sling swivels and call it good. They were used on the M40A1, not the earlier M40, but this is an easy part to get and they'll look good. The original Remington front sling swivel on the USMC M40's are very rare, so the odds of finding one is extremely low (I'm even missing some on my original USMC M40 stocks!). The original Remington M40 rear sling swivel (wood screw) is pretty easy to find, but it will look weird if you use a correct rear swivel and a mismatched front swivel. So, just to make things easy for you, buy a set of the Wichita sling swivels and move on to other more important parts. Also, the correct USMC M40 issued sling is a Vietnam War era cotton sling (not nylon or leather). Interestingly, the type of issued M40 sling was actually a mystery and heavily debated up to a few years ago, but I was finally able to very that it was an issued cotton type sling.

I hope this is all useful information about USMC M40 clone builds, I think I covered all the parts, but let me know if I missed anything. This build guide should be useful to anyone who wants to build a USMC M40 clone rifle, so I hope people read this post or it this thread gets stickied to the top of the Vintage Section as reference material (maybe change the name of the thread to something like "USMC M40 build guide" or something).

There's many was to clone the USMC M40, which very in "correctness" and parts used (original vs reproduction). There's some common traits like the thumb cut on the receiver that all M40 clones should have. And there's a ton of stuff that only hard-core clone builders will do, such as using very rare and expensive original USMC M40 take-off parts. There's ways to save money on a build if you just want a nice looking clone, but don't want to spend $5,000 on a scope. It's possible to have a square corner scope base without spending $2,000. There are markings and receiver cuts that are hidden, so more money can be saved by not doing these things.

Long story short, there's literally something for everyone, and people should build whatever it's their tastes and budget, but there are common M40 characteristics that can't be ignored (no matter what level of clone you build). All USMC M40 clones are welcome, but don't build a rifle with one or 2 M40'ish parts and call it an M40 clone. An M40 is an easy sniper rifle to clone, and its possible to build an extremely nice rifle without spending a lot of money. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. I figured that putting all of this information in one spot (and having multiple options for parts) would be useful to many people on this forum.

Last edited:
Warning to everyone - This is an extremely long post (30 paragraphs, including this one!!!), but it's a very detailed USMC M40 clone build guide. This is probably the most complete M40 build guide published, and I give different options for various parts. I guarantee that there's useful information in here for everyone, so please read or skim this post! There's a few things that I didn't cover, but it's long enough as it is (I can always update it with more information). This started out as a specific response to the OP's build, but it gradually developed into a massive, all-encompassing M40 build guide.

@Chris831

You don't need to spend a lot to have a great competition M40 build. You already have the stock, so it's just your personal time working on it so that it's perfect. I've already done all the heavy listing with the free research I've provided, so just use those measurements when working on your wood stock. Take your time on it and hand fit the parts to the stock. You or your gunsmith will bed the barreled action and bottom metal, but you'll still want a nice fit for these parts when you're carving up your stock (make sure the bottom metal and buttplate are nice and flush). When you're finished with carving up your stock, use some boiled linseed oil (BLO) to seal the wood and make the stock look amazing!

If you don't already have the specific Remington 16601 aluminum buttplate, you'll probably get one with your 1960's vintage donor rifle. If you're not using a vintage donor rifle, the correct Remington 16601 buttplates are easy to find. Please let me know if you nees one, I have a bunch and can send you one for free. Remember to reanodize or paint your entire buttplate black, you don't want the shiny silver raw aluminum sides like what's on the commercial Remington rifles. All USMC M40's had fully anodized black 16601 buttplates, none of them ever has exposed metal sides like the commercial rifles that used the same buttplate. The buttplate should be anodized black, and the trigger guard should be anodized a dark gray.

If you don't already have a barrel, get a Bartlein barrel on order! @Frank Green makes the best barrels you can buy, and he can make them in the original USMC M40 profile (Remington varmint profile). He can also make exact spec M40A1 barrels too, I send him one of my original circa 1978 USMC M40A1 barrels and he took the measurements. He did the same with an original circa 1966 USMC M40 barrel another well known collector sent him many years ago, so you can be sure that you will have the 100% correct profile for your new USMC M40 barrel. It might be a little bit more money than other barrels, but it's not just the correct M40 profile, it's also one of the best, most accurate barrels that you can buy (which is pretty important if you plan on using the rifle in competitions).

A Bartlein M40 profile barrel blank is probably under $500. You don't need an expensive Bartlein barrel blank, you can can get cheaper ones that are in the correct Remington varmint profile (either from the barrel company or turned by the gunsmith doing the build). A cheaper barrel will save you some money, but I recommend a high end Bartlein barrel of you're using this rifle competitively.

As for the scope and mount, grab an original circa 1960's Redfield 3-9x glossy black commercial scope off eBay or wherever, and send it to @tokiwartooth (if he's still anodizing scope, which I really hope he's still doing) for matte green anodizing. Use a gen 1 (not gen 2) Redfield 3-9x scope with the low elevation/windage turret caps. The commercial scopes will be glossy black, but don't worry about the finish, you'll anodize or paint it green. Also, don't worry about trying to find the correct/rare reticle and rangefinder "tombstone". Just get whatever reticle you prefer or whatever is available. Just make sure the external features are correct. A 1960's vintage gen 1 Redfield 3-9x scope with correct external features should be under $500. The anodizing or painting might run a few hundred dollars.

The scope mount and rings are going to be some of your cheapest parts! Just go on eBay to buy a vintage Redfield 700SA marked scope base that will fit your Remington 700 short action receiver, and a set of Redfield 1" low height 4 top screw scope rings (both the base and rings will be glossy blued, not matte finish or anything else). You need a very specific type of Redfield 700SA scope base, let me know if you need photos and information about the correct type. Redfield probably made a dozen different 700SA bases over the years, and some of them are quite different looking than the one you need (don't be fooled into buying a lightweight 700SA base or any other incorrect type).

Your vintage Redfield 700SA scope base will probably have rounded corners, which were used on later non-USMC M40's and on USMC transitional M40A1 rifles. The correct Redfield 40X scope base was used on the USMC M40 rifles, but they're impossible to find and will cost $2,000+ for just the scope base! A key feature of the Redfield 40X USMC M40 scope base is the square corners, instead of the roundes ones that the Redfield 700SA scope bases are known for. There are exceptions to this rule, but I'm not getting into that now.

You can use the round corner 700SA base just the way it is (absolutely nothing wrong with that for a clone, since some 40X bases did have round corners), or you can have the corners on the 700SA base squared off. If you want square corners on your 700SA base, ask your gunsmith to weld the corners up, square them off, and then reblue the base. If you want, you could also have your gunsmith weld the 700's marking on the bottom of the scope base and have him remark it 40X.

Remarking the bottom 40X after squaring off the corners won't make a fake 40X base, and it won't fool someone looking closely at it. The reason is because the original 40X bases are different than the original 700SA bases, and have different screw hole and scope ring placement on the base itself. When done correctly, the scope base will look like the original USMC M40 40X scopes bases, and it will probably cost under $100 for your gunsmith to do this custom work to the base. But, like I said, this is just cosmetic and isn't truly necessary to do, unless you really want the square corner look.

The scope rings are much easier to deal with than the scope base! Just get a nice set of vintage Redfield 1" diameter, low height, 4 top screw, glossy blued scope rings. Don't get a different diameter, don't get the medium or tall height, and don't get the 2 top or bottom screw rings. Just get rings with the correct features that I listed, don't deviate from the correct features. The original USMC M40 scope rings were marked on the bottom with either 1-64 or 1-66. You can try to find rings marked this way, but it's not necessary unless you're building an extremely detailed USMC M40 clone.

The 1-64 and 1-66 marked scope rings will also cost you over $100 for a set of the correct ones (low height, 1" diameter, etc.). Be aware of idiot sellers trying to pass off medium height 1-64 and 1-66 marked scope rings! They are lying asaholes who are trying to take advantage of people! The USMC M40's never used medium height scope rings, and the USMC transitional M40A1's never used 1-64 or 1-66 marked medium scope rings (the transitional A1's only used unmarked medium rings). You'll save a lot of money by just spending $20 on a set of unmarked Redfield scope rings with the other correct features (1" diameter, low height, 4 top screws). You'll never see the markings on the underside, so save some money here, and get the unmarked rings for your competition rifle.

I don't know if you have a donor rifle yet, but early 1960's vintage Remington 700 short action 6 digit serial number rifles are very easy to find. There's pretty much no excuse not to use one, unless you really don't have any money to spend. The correct USMC M40 serial number ranges are 221xxx, 224xxx, and 322xxx. However, if you find a donor rifle in one of these 3 serial number ranges on Gunbroker or other public auction, expect to get into a bidding war with high level M40 collectors/cloners. A donor rifle in those 3 correct USMC M40 serial number ranges will easily sell for $3,000 to $4,000+ (especially the 221xxx and 224xxx ranges, they're worth more than the 322xxx range receivers).

You should be looking for any Remington 700 short action donor rifles with correct features (correct bolt handle, bolt shroud, bolt face diameter, tall safety lever, split sear trigger, 16601 aluminum buttplate) that are in the 6 digit serial number range. The 200xxx serial number should start in early 1966 and it will go up to about 350xxx or so in mid 1968 (right before the 1968 Gun Control Act). So, search for Remington 700 short action donor rifles from about late 1965 to mid 1968. Anything within that time-frame will be great for a 6 digit serial number donor rifle! Look for numbers like 222xxx or 223xxx, those are circa 1966 receivers that are right between thr 221xxx and 224xxx serial number ranges. Just decide if you want a 2xxxxx or 3xxxxx receiver, and go from there. The 2xxxxx range is far more popular than 3xxxxx range, since the 322xxx range isn't very well known.

Look for .308 caliber donor rifles in your serial number range, since that those rifles will have the correct bolt face diameter (.470") you'll need for the 7.62x51 ammo that you'll be using in your M40 clone. Also look for other calibers that have the bolt face diameter you need, that will help you expand your search for donor rifles. Other calibers with the same .470" bolt face diameter as the .308/7.62x51mm include .22-250 and .358 Winchester. Even though calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor have the correct bolt face diameter you need, they are modern calibers and weren't around back in 1966. So, look for old calibers other than .308, it will help you widen your search and make things a little bit easier!

Check out the opening post in this thread for a list of bolt face diameters and the calibers associated with each bolt face size. Reference this list when you're looking at donor rifles that aren't chambered in .308:

For example, here's a great 211xxx rifle chambered in .243 Winchester. This rifle is extremely close to the 221xxx USMC M40 serial number range, and the .243 Win caliber has the same .470" bolt face diameter as the 7.62x51mm. You're able to use the receiver, bolt, trigger with safety lever, bottom metal, and 16601 buttplate from this donor rifle. That's a lot of parts from 1 purchase! The bottom metal looks great, use it as is on your M40 clone. The trigger has the correct tall safety and it will also have a split sear. You can't get all of these great parts if you buy a cheaper modern Remington receiver. You can also sell the stock and barrel to recoup some of the money spent acquiring the donor rifle. The buy-it-now price is $1,300, which is pretty great for all that you're getting off of this donor rifle. I don't have any affiliation with this seller, I just wanted to show what a good doner rifle near the USMC M40 serial number range looks like and how many parts can be salvaged off of it. I also wanted to show that you don't need to only look for .308 caliber donor rifles, you can use any donor rifle with a caliber that has a .470" bolt face, so set your Gunbroker saved searches accordingly. Check out this M40 donor rifle:

Expect to pay $800 to about $1,500 for a nice 6 digit serial number donor rifle with the correct features (these will be outside the 221xxx, 224xxx, and 322xxx serial number ranges). Don't both with the 3 expensive correct USMC M40 serial number ranges, unless you find one for a great price at a gunshow or store (anywhere that's not a public auction that won't reach $4k).

If you want to save a lot of money, you can just buy a $500 newer production RR prefix serial number donor rifle, and use that for the build. However, there's a ton of differences between vintage and modern Remington 700 receivers:

● The serial number range on modern receivers aren't in the correct USMC M40 serial number ranges
● Modern receivers have a laser engraved serial number and Remington 700 marking, whereas vintage receivers have stamped information (laser engraving is so sterile/bland/heartless, stamp receivers are always better! This also applies to AR15 clone lower receivers!)
● The "Remington" marking on the left side of modern receivers is not underlined, whereas the "Remington" marking on vintage receivers is underlined
● Modern Remington triggers and safety levers are wrong
● The inside of a modern receiver has an anti-binding bolt rail, whereas the inside of a vintage receiver doesn't
● Modern bolts have an anti-bind rail cut in the right lug that it goes around the receiver rail, whereas the vintage bolts don't have the anti-bind cut and the right lug rides above the rail in the receiver (you can't use a vintage bolt in a modern receiver, unless you make the cut in the right bolt lug)

Take a look at all the differences between vintage and more Remington 700 receivers and bolts, it's quite a bit! I've never seen any of this information comparing the vintage and modern donor rifle receivers before, so this is a pretty unique part of this USMC M40 clone build guide! You could save money by buying a cheaper modern Remington 700 receiver, but look at the stuff you need to fix (trigger, safety lever, etc.) and look at the stuff that you're pretty much stuck with (different markings, bolt handle, etc.). That's quite the negative trade-off for saving a few hundred dollars not buying a vintage Remington 700 donor rifle to begin with! It will cost money to fix a few things, so the low cost of a modern receiver will increase when these expenses are added to the build cost. It's ALWAYS better using a vintage Remington 700 receiver for the USMC M40 clone build. Hell, I'd even take an incorrect vintage 5 digit serial number receiver over any modern receiver! You can find 5 or 6 digit serial number range donor rifles for under $1,000, so just use one of those. In the long run, you'll be much, much happier with your build if you start with a vintage receiver!

If you want your receiver to look correct, you'll need to send it to someone like Mark Williams at Raven Rifles who can do the correct cuts and markings on the receiver. The 4 correct USMC M40 receiver cuts are the clip slot cut, bullet nose cut, the left rail cut, and the thumb cut. It will cost hundreds of dollars for a competent gunsmith to make these cuts. If you want to save money, just get the thumb cut, since that's by far the most noticeable of the 4 receiver cuts. The clip slot and bullet nose cut will be hidden under the scope base, and the left rail cut is different to determine unless you know what to look for. I think all USMC M40 clones, no matter what level of "correctness" the build is, need to have the thumb cut on the right side of the receiver at minimum. The rifle will just look weird without this singe receiver cut, so no matter what, you'll need this cut for your rifle to look like an M40 clone. You said that you didn't want to spend too much money, so it's up to you whether or not you want to pay more to have the other 3 receiver cuts done.

You also need to make sure that your gunsmith marks the left side of the receiver with a "U.S." stamp in the correct location above the serial number. Most gunsmiths use the wrong size "U.S." stamp, and they mark it too low on the receiver. Gunsmiths usually mark it where the M24's "U.S." stamp is located, or in between where the M24 and M40 stamps are located. The correct location for the "U.S." stamp on a USMC M40 will line up with the left rail on the receiver. Just extend a ruler along the left rail, and put the "U.S." stamp right on this extended ruler line. I've previously posted photos of the correct location and how to find it, so I can supply photos if your gunsmith needs them. Just like the thumb cut, all USMC M40 clones should, at minimum, have a proper "U.S." stamp on the receiver.

The barreled action (the receiver, recoil lug and barrel) should be parkerized, the entire bolt should be blued (handle and body), the bottom metal should be anodized dark gray, and the buttplate should be anodized black. Thise are the correct metal finishes on a USMC M40.

You can use the trigger that came with your 1960's vintage donor rifle, it should have a split sear and a very noticeable tall safety lever. The split sear trigger isn't too important, unless you want a very detailed clone, but it will come with your rifle from that time-frame. The tall safety will also be on your donor rifle from that time-frame, but sometimes people swap them out to sell separately, and then install a common Remington trigger back in the rifle. If you're using the period correct Remington trigger with the tall safety, have a good gunsmith tune it for you when they build your rifle. It's about a $100 fee or less to do the trigger work, but it's worth every penny, especially since you'll be competing with the rifle! I don't know about the CMP rules, but see if an aftermarket trigger is allowed for use.

You said that you don't want to spend too much, so I'd highly recommend just using the Remington trigger that comes with your donor rifle, and having it tuned up perfectly! A properly tuned Remington trigger will be just as good as any expense aftermarket trigger that costs hundreds of dollars. I have a few tuned Remington triggers that are unbelievable, and the rifle's previous owners did use them in competition decades ago. A Remington trigger that's been properly worked on is orders of magnitude better than a basic stock trigger. It's the regular triggers that get ragged on all the time, and for good reason. Save some money, pay $100 or less for your gunsmith to do something amazing with your donor rifle's trigger! Just make sure that the trigger meets any trigger pull weight requirements, if the vintage sniper competition has any such requirements.

I think that last part to discuss is the sling swivels. Just pick up a pair of Wichita sling swivels and call it good. They were used on the M40A1, not the earlier M40, but this is an easy part to get and they'll look good. The original Remington front sling swivel on the USMC M40's are very rare, so the odds of finding one is extremely low (I'm even missing some on my original USMC M40 stocks!). The original Remington M40 rear sling swivel (wood screw) is pretty easy to find, but it will look weird if you use a correct rear swivel and a mismatched front swivel. So, just to make things easy for you, buy a set of the Wichita sling swivels and move on to other more important parts. Also, the correct USMC M40 issued sling is a Vietnam War era cotton sling (not nylon or leather). Interestingly, the type of issued M40 sling was actually a mystery and heavily debated up to a few years ago, but I was finally able to very that it was an issued cotton type sling.

I hope this is all useful information about USMC M40 clone builds, I think I covered all the parts, but let me know if I missed anything. This build guide should be useful to anyone who wants to build a USMC M40 clone rifle, so I hope people read this post or it this thread gets stickied to the top of the Vintage Section as reference material (maybe change the name of the thread to something like "USMC M40 build guide" or something).

There's many was to clone the USMC M40, which very in "correctness" and parts used (original vs reproduction). There's some common traits like the thumb cut on the receiver that all M40 clones should have. And there's a ton of stuff that only hard-core clone builders will do, such as using very rare and expensive original USMC M40 take-off parts. There's ways to save money on a build if you just want a nice looking clone, but don't want to spend $5,000 on a scope. It's possible to have a square corner scope base without spending $2,000. There are markings and receiver cuts that are hidden, so more money can be saved by not doing these things.

Long story short, there's literally something for everyone, and people should build whatever it's their tastes and budget, but there are common M40 characteristics that can't be ignored (no matter what level of clone you build). All USMC M40 clones are welcome, but don't build a rifle with one or 2 M40'ish parts and call it an M40 clone. An M40 is an easy sniper rifle to clone, and its possible to build an extremely nice rifle without spending a lot of money. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. I figured that putting all of this information in one spot (and having multiple options for parts) would be useful to many people on this forum.
Holy smokes, all this information is pretty much all 26 pages on the M40 build thread here plus all the other ones plus on M14forum.com combined. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this all out. As a person that was taking notes on the comments given by various people, this makes my life and hopefully others a lot easier also. Now it’s all about the searching games which I believe is part of the fun?

I knew the older 700s varied to the newer ones but didn’t realize how much until you laid it out for me. I was hoping to convert my newer 700P but it’s probably not worth the hassle and would probably cost me even more money doing it that way.

Here is the requirements necessary for a M40 build to compete in the CMP sniper vintage match. As you can as see, it very relaxed in the what they want. Probably to draw more people as I’m sure they have enough parts and compete while not being a 100% clone/replicate..Thanks again and I’m gonna send you a PM.

U. S. Marine Corps M40 Rifles. Rifles that replicate USMC M40 sniper rifles are
permitted. M40 sniper rifles must comply with the following:
• May have any Remington Model 700 action, regardless of the year of manufacture. Clone or custom receivers are not permitted. Actions may not have threaded bolt handles or nobs.
• Must be chambered for the 7.62 NATO/.308 cartridge.
• Maximum barrel length is 24 in. with a maximum muzzle diameter of .850 in.
• Must have a non-adjustable, wooden stock (target style or sporter stock). The stock may be glass bedded. The stock may not have a cheek pad or riser.
• Optical sights may be Redfield 3-9X Accu-Range telescopes or Leatherwood ART telescopes. Commercial equivalent 3-9X scopes with a 40mm max. objective lens diameter are permitted. Any commercial 3X9X40 scope will be accepted (No target-type adjustment knobs).
• Scope mounts must be original or exact reproductions of original scope mounts.

Last edited:
Well, I don’t have anything to add to what @USMCSGT0331 posted, it’s pretty much all inclusive.

But from an actual stock modification standpoint, I’ve built 2 of Beaver’s stock into M40 builds. Watch YouTube stock inletting videos, they’re super helpful. It a lot of fun to do, and you’ll be happy you did in the end. All you really need is sandpaper. Scrapers are nice, but not needed (I didn’t have them for the first one I did and it turned out fine, dowels and socket wrench heads work amazing)

The scariest part will be bedding , but you can always just sand it out and re-do if it’s messed up.

Go for it, it’s a fun project.

Well, I don’t have anything to add to what @USMCSGT0331 posted, it’s pretty much all inclusive.

But from an actual stock modification standpoint, I’ve built 2 of Beaver’s stock into M40 builds. Watch YouTube stock inletting videos, they’re super helpful. It a lot of fun to do, and you’ll be happy you did in the end. All you really need is sandpaper. Scrapers are nice, but not needed (I didn’t have them for the first one I did and it turned out fine, dowels and socket wrench heads work amazing)

The scariest part will be bedding , but you can always just sand it out and re-do if it’s messed up.

Go for it, it’s a fun project.

Well, just bought my stock for EBay from Beever156 today so down the rabbit hole I go. Looks like I’ll be eating cup a noodles for a time being while I’m saving up for parts. But I gotta admit I’m super excited especially seeing everyones builds here. Actually it was @Arthur_1 post that made me decide to go with Beever156 stock.

Awesome, I appreciate the tips. This will be my first time doing any type of wood working but thanks to @USMCSGT0331, at least I have something to go by as I’m sanding/shaping. Yea bedding is kinda worrying me as I might send it out but I know I’ll save a lot by doing it myself; plus the fact that I can say I bedded a rifle especially ones that mine is a satisfying feeling.

Thanks again and when I’m working on the stock, I might PM you about sand/shaping/bedding if that’s ok with you.

Chris

Warning to everyone - This is an extremely long post (31 paragraphs, including this one!!!), but it's a very detailed USMC M40 clone build guide. This is probably the most complete M40 build guide published, and I give different options for various parts. I guarantee that there's useful information in here for everyone, so please read or skim this post! There's a few things that I didn't cover, but it's long enough as it is (I can always update it with more information). This started out as a specific response to the OP's build, but it gradually developed into a massive, all-encompassing M40 build guide.

@Chris831

Here's a list of short action calibers with a bolt face diameter of .470", which is the correct bolt face size for an M40 chambered in 7.62x51mm (this caliber list is taken directly from the link above this sentence). I reformatted this caliber list so that it was easy to use. Keep a copy of this list somewhere close by, and use it to find the perfect donor rifle for your next M40 clone build!
.225 Winchester
.22-.250 Remington
6mm Norma BR
.243 Winchester
6mm Creedmoor
.250 Savage
.260 Remington
6.5-.284 Norma
6.5 Creedmoor
7-08 Remington
.284 Winchester
.300 Savage
7.62x51mm NATO
.308 Winchester
.338 Federal
.35 Remington
.358 Winchester

Now take a look at the Gunbroker link right below this paragraph. This GB auction is for a great 211xxx rifle chambered in .243 Winchester. This rifle is extremely close to the 221xxx USMC M40 serial number range, and the .243 Win caliber has the same .470" bolt face diameter as the 7.62x51mm. You're able to use the receiver, bolt, trigger with safety lever, bottom metal, and 16601 buttplate from this donor rifle. That's a lot of parts from 1 purchase! The bottom metal looks great, use it as is on your M40 clone. The trigger has the correct tall safety and it will also have a split sear. You can't get all of these great parts if you buy a cheaper modern Remington receiver. You can also sell the stock and barrel to recoup some of the money spent acquiring the donor rifle. The buy-it-now price is $1,300, which is pretty great for all that you're getting off of this donor rifle. I don't have any affiliation with this seller, I just wanted to show what a good doner rifle near the USMC M40 serial number range looks like and how many parts can be salvaged off of it. I also wanted to show that you don't need to only look for .308 caliber donor rifles, you can use any donor rifle with a caliber that has a .470" bolt face, so set your Gunbroker saved searches accordingly. Check out this M40 donor rifle:

● Modern receivers have a laser engraved serial number and "Remington 700" marking, whereas vintage receivers have stamped information (laser engraving is so sterile/bland/heartless, stamp receivers are always better! This also applies to AR15 clone lower receivers!)
● Modern bolts have a cut in the right lug that engages with the receiver's anti-bind right rail, whereas the vintage bolts don't have a cut in the right lug and the right lug rides above the right rail in the receiver (you also can't use a vintage bolt in a modern receiver, unless you make the cut in the vintage bolt's right lug so that it can engage the modern receiver's anti-bind right rail. You can easily test this out yourself by taking a vintage bolt and a modern receiver, and trying to put the bolt in the receiver, it's just not going to work)

Were the Gen 2 Redfields also used? I picked up a NOS Gen 2 Accurange and am trying to decide what to build with it.

Were the Gen 2 Redfields also used? I picked up a NOS Gen 2 Accurange and am trying to decide what to build with it.
No, gen 2 Accurange scopes were not used on the USMC M40. Later on, some matte black gen 2 Accurange scopes were used on the USMC transitional M40A1 rifles. So, put the scope you just purchased on an M40A1 clone, and look for the correct gen 1 Accurange for your M40 clone.

No, gen 2 Accurange scopes were not used on the USMC M40. Later on, some matte black gen 2 Accurange scopes were used on the USMC transitional M40A1 rifles. So, put the scope you just purchased on an M40A1 clone, and look for the correct gen 1 Accurange for your M40 clone.

Thanks for the info.

So i was curious and took another look at my scope. It has the stepped down ocular housing, a shorter knob on the adjustment ring and the “3x-9x Redfield” text. Serial number has a “Y” prefix. Would it be a considered a Gen 2? I only ask because i thought the Gen 2’s didnt have the step down on the ocular housing.

Apologies for the auction pictures, they’re not the best.
IMG_3965.jpeg
IMG_3966.jpeg
IMG_3964.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s a quick Flash Card to compare adjustment knobs.

IMG_0924.jpeg

IMG_0925.jpeg

Top: Gen 1. F prefix, $200 eBay purchase. Crosshair Dot reticle, and obviously not green. Don’t be afraid to make offers. I’ve gotten them from $150-$200.
Middle: Gen 2. Y prefix. It’s an Accu-Range, but not matte. Found it on eBay, BIN, for a fair price. Not a steal, but not top of the market, either.
Bottom: Widefield with Accu-Range.

Ask questions of sellers. Many times they just copy a similar listing title. “Accu-Range“ and “M40” get thrown around a lot. Estate clean out sellers may not know the collector market or desirable features. Sometimes that works to your advantage. Or, in haste, you overpay for a Duplex reticle. I’ve made that mistake a few times until I learned better.

On the topic of Accu-Ranges, the earliest ones were 150-450 yds. There’s an Accu-Range listed now with an example reticle in the pics. I inquired, it’s the early version, which is probably rarer, but not clone correct.

IMG_0927.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

I hope this helps some people. It’s affordable enough to get a scope that looks right until you get a correct Accu Range for your rifle. And with the new CMP rules, you won’t be stuck with a Redfield 3x-9x once you upgrade. It will find a buyer.

Greg

Last edited:

@Chris831

.225 Winchester
.22-.250 Remington
6mm Norma BR
.243 Winchester
6mm Creedmoor
.250 Savage
.260 Remington
6.5-.284 Norma
6.5 Creedmoor
7-08 Remington
.284 Winchester
.300 Savage
7.62x51mm NATO
.308 Winchester
.338 Federal
.35 Remington
.358 Winchester

Does anyone have a drawing of the correct cuts for the M40? Specifically the thumb relief cut? Appreciate it.

@RIGREG, really appreciate the photos! That’s a big help. Been searching EBay for rings, bases, and scopes. You pictures will help me ID it better. Thanks again.

Chris

“Accu-Range“ and “M40” get thrown around a lot.
First off, thank you very much for the photos and information on the Redfield scopes! It's great to see people help fill in parts parts of the reference threads!

Secondly, the part of your post that I quoted above ^^^ needs to be repeated over and over and over again! Seriously, when it comes to Redfield scopes/bases/rings, at best many eBay sellers have absolutely no idea what they're selling, and at worst some eBay sellers are outright lying/deceiving pieces lf shit. Some sellers copy item descriptions from other sellers, like what @RIGREG mentioned, whereas other sellers just make shit up. It's pretty rare to come across a seller who actually knows which Redfield parts actually go on various types of M40 sniper rifles.

For example, there's usually sellers on eBay who have Redfield 1" medium height 1-64 or 1-66 marked scope rings for sale, and the item descriptions say that the rings are correct for early M40A1's. Unfortunately, this is wrong. It's actually the low height Redfield rings used on M40's that have the 1-64 or 1-66 markings. Redfield medium height rings used on early transitional M40A1's didn't have the 1-64 or 1-66 markings on the underside of the rings (I proved this with my M40A1 welded mount research). So, the eBay sellers are literally taking a characteristic from the USMC M40 Redfield low height scope rings (1-64 and 1-66 markings), and then erroneously applying that characteristic to Redfield medium height scope rings. The sellers think that the M40 scope rings and transitional M40A1 scope rings have the same markings, but they don't realize that this isn't the case.

There's also eBay sellers who have no idea that there's a difference between Accu-Range scopes and Accu-Trac scopes. The Redfield Accu-Trac scopes weren't used on M40 sniper rifles, no matter what the item description says! Sellers also don't realize that there's probably a dozen or more different types of Redfield 700SA scope bases that were made over the decades. Out of all those different types/styles of Redfield 700SA scope bases only 1 or 2 of them are actually correct for 7 digit M40's and transitional M40A1's. So, you really need to know what details to look for when looking at these parts!

Really appreciate all the info so far, this is turning into a great build resource
I'm glad that you like the thread! A lot of the information in this thread came from a ridiculous amount of new first-hand research, so it takes a lot of time to put stuff like this together. It's a lot of hardwork and dedication, so it's great to see people appreciate these kind of threads!

Unfortunately, this thread is now outdated because I spent some time making an updated version of this thread over on the M14 Forum. I have 30 something paragraphs of information in this thread, but this same thread over on the M14 Forum has over 50 paragraphs of information that I wrote!

Of you guys like this thread, then please check out the updated version of this thread over on the M14 Forum, here's a direct link to it:

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/usmcsgt0331s-epic-usmc-m40-clone-build-thread.539261

First off, thank you very much for the photos and information on the Redfield scopes! It's great to see people help fill in parts parts of the reference threads!

Secondly, the part of your post that I quoted above ^^^ needs to be repeated over and over and over again! Seriously, when it comes to Redfield scopes/bases/rings, at best many eBay sellers have absolutely no idea what they're selling, and at worst some eBay sellers are outright lying/deceiving pieces lf shit. Some sellers copy item descriptions from other sellers, like what @RIGREG mentioned, whereas other sellers just make shit up. It's pretty rare to come across a seller who actually knows which Redfield parts actually go on various types of M40 sniper rifles.

For example, there's usually sellers on eBay who have Redfield 1" medium height 1-64 or 1-66 marked scope rings for sale, and the item descriptions say that the rings are correct for early M40A1's. Unfortunately, this is wrong. It's actually the low height Redfield rings used on M40's that have the 1-64 or 1-66 markings. Redfield medium height rings used on early transitional M40A1's didn't have the 1-64 or 1-66 markings on the underside of the rings (I proved this with my M40A1 welded mount research). So, the eBay sellers are literally taking a characteristic from the USMC M40 Redfield low height scope rings (1-64 and 1-66 markings), and then erroneously applying that characteristic to Redfield medium height scope rings. The sellers think that the M40 scope rings and transitional M40A1 scope rings have the same markings, but they don't realize that this isn't the case.

There's also eBay sellers who have no idea that there's a difference between Accu-Range scopes and Accu-Trac scopes. The Redfield Accu-Trac scopes weren't used on M40 sniper rifles, no matter what the item description says! Sellers also don't realize that there's probably a dozen or more different types of Redfield 700SA scope bases that were made over the decades. Out of all those different types/styles of Redfield 700SA scope bases only 1 or 2 of them are actually correct for 7 digit M40's and transitional M40A1's. So, you really need to know what details to look for when looking at these parts!
Yup, I never really paid attention to the Redfield scopes until I found this group. When I started looking onljne…. Geez there’s a whole lotta small different details I never knew about. Luckily because of the forum…. I can kinda ID some of it. I have noticed as you said; people using “USMC M40 Sniper” for their items and asking big bucks. @USMCSGT0331 by chance did you get my PM? It was kind of a long long letter actually…. Sorry about that….

Chris

I may have missed it, but are pillars allowed in the bedding for cmp vintage, or just the bedding?

On the topic of Accu-Ranges, the earliest ones were 150-450 yds. There’s an Accu-Range listed now with an example reticle in the pics. I inquired, it’s the early version, which is probably rarer, but not clone correct.

View attachment 8354525

View attachment 8354528
And I'm the Dumb F$#k that bought that scope, wish I had seen this before I did....Oh well. I firmly believe the seller knew exactly what he was doing when he posted the "Stock" picture of the 200-600 yard tombstone. And knowing now that you questioned him about it and he did not add that info to his listing only further convinces me he knew all along. I didn't even know there two different reticles, but I do now. I know Toki could fix this, but I cannot get hold of him I was planning on having him anodize it for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: FWoo45
Probably won't get ahold of him. Some prick pissed him off. See his thread.

I may have missed it, but are pillars allowed in the bedding for cmp vintage, or just the bedding?
For the M40,M70, and XM21….. glass bedding is optional; but does not specify pillaring. I would assume if they allow glass bedding; pillaring would be fine but I’d email them for a exact ruling

1709359455378.png

Got to the range today, cold, windy, rain and snow it was dismal. Did the break-in on the barrel and found the inside of a 1.5" paster. First group had a 3-shot .312" cluster with .73" overall. Second group was slightly larger, I have to adjust to the olden days, 40mm and 10X were tough on a grey, cloudy day.

While we’re asking noob questions, what’s the context of this picture I found? Appears to be M40’s with mostly black Redfield scopes and one green painted stock. Post Vietnam rebuilds?

IMG_3349.jpeg

Long story short:

IMG_0985.jpeg

And he revised the title and lived happily ever after.

Decent guy, with no mal intent. He just copied a scope that looked the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coejro
While we’re asking noob questions, what’s the context of this picture I found? Appears to be M40’s with mostly black Redfield scopes and one green painted stock. Post Vietnam rebuilds?

View attachment 8362677
That photo was taken at Crane. The M40 with only 1 scope ring on one of those rifles (look at the photo carefully, see if you can find it) was given away as a trophy rifle for a military shooting match. The gentleman who won it actually hunts with the rifle, it's a 6 digit M40, serial number 224308 (cool serial number, since the first 3 digits (224) and second 3 digits (308) of the serial number are the bullet diameters for 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 military ammo, it was something pointed out long ago, just seems pretty neat).

@USMCSGT0331, as usual, your pictures generate numerous questions. I’ll focus on the Redfield bases and ask for your help sorting out these next Flash Cards for beginners. All of these were eBay purchases and none was more than $25. We all hope to score that correct 40X marked base, but in reality, these are what we will likely be using for our builds. (I’ll make a separate post about the 40X base that recently sold on eBay.)

IMG_0998.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

1. Marked 722. Obviously not right for M40, but came in a Redfield box labeled “722, 725, 700 Short Action.” Clearly from the early 60’s after the 700 was introduced. On a 700 SA, the rear screw mounts to the rearmost scope mount hole.

2, 3, & 4 are the same base with variations of the bottom cuts and edge radii. My guess is that 2 is the earlier one by the stamp.

5. Rear ring moved back, making the ejection port opening longer. With the ring installed, the rear screw is covered.

6 & 7 The windage screws are exposed on the bottom of the mount. Yet another variation of the 700SA base.

I posted these to illustrate the various Redfield mounts I’ve purchased as “Remington 700 Short Action” and in hopes that USMCSGT0331 can shed some light on which are most correct for beginner clone builds.

Greg

There was a time when you could buy a clone M40 ...one to 103 serial numbers, test fired and sling autographed by Marine Sniper Chuck Mawinney who had the largest number of confirmed kills in Vietnam at 103 kills.
Looked it up to see if any rifles were available...
Found out that Chuck Mawinney had passed away this February. He used to live in Lakeview but he died in Baker City.

@USMCSGT0331, as usual, your pictures generate numerous questions. I’ll focus on the Redfield bases and ask for your help sorting out these next Flash Cards for beginners. All of these were eBay purchases and none was more than $25. We all hope to score that correct 40X marked base, but in reality, these are what we will likely be using for our builds. (I’ll make a separate post about the 40X base that recently sold on eBay.)

View attachment 8370846

View attachment 8370847

View attachment 8370848

1. Marked 722. Obviously not right for M40, but came in a Redfield box labeled “722, 725, 700 Short Action.” Clearly from the early 60’s after the 700 was introduced. On a 700 SA, the rear screw mounts to the rearmost scope mount hole.

2, 3, & 4 are the same base with variations of the bottom cuts and edge radii. My guess is that 2 is the earlier one by the stamp.

5. Rear ring moved back, making the ejection port opening longer. With the ring installed, the rear screw is covered.

6 & 7 The windage screws are exposed on the bottom of the mount. Yet another variation of the 700SA base.

I posted these to illustrate the various Redfield mounts I’ve purchased as “Remington 700 Short Action” and in hopes that USMCSGT0331 can shed some light on which are most correct for beginner clone builds.

Greg

Well man, I'm way ahead of you on this! I'm the person who first noticed all of the characteristics that are unique to the USMC used Redfield 700SA scope bases on the transitional M40A1 welded scope mounts. I originally posted this information many, many yesrs ago on the M40rifle.com forum. I also posted this information more recently on the M14 Forum.

Unfortunately, when I post on different forums, that information won't be seen by people on other forums (unless they're members of both forums and are active on each one). Here's 2 links to my posts about Redfield 700SA scope bases over on the M14 Forum. I highly suggest that everyone reads the posts and study the corresponding photos. Here's the links to my post about the Redfield 700SA scope bases:

Post #7:
https://www.m14forum.com/threads/my-rendition-of-an-m40a1.523720/#post-4704607

Post#13:
https://www.m14forum.com/threads/prices-are-going-up.523071/#post-4696737

I just looked at your photos above, and unfortunately every single one of your Redfield 700SA scope bases is incorrect for USMC transitional M40A1 rifles. I'm still studying the 6257xxx M40's from other military branches, so you might have a correct 700SA base for one of those rifles, but I'm not certain of that yet. Right now I can tell you 100% that none of your 700SA bases are an exact match to the 3 USMC transitional M40A1 Redfield 700SA welded scope mounts in my collection.

There's only 5 original USMC transitional M40A1 Redfield 700SA welded scope mounts still known to exist. That's it, that's all that we've been able to verify! I still have 2 or 3 of them in my collection, I gave at least 2 of the 5 700SA welded mounts to friends. I had 3 of the 5 700SA welded mounts photographed. Here's the photos of all 3 USMC transitional M40A1 Redfield 700SA welded scope mounts, notice the differences between these and the ones you have in your post.

Mount #1:
1000009633.jpg

1000009634.jpg

1000009635.jpg

Mount #2:
1000009626.jpg

1000009627.jpg

1000009628.jpg

Mount #3:
1000009629.jpg

1000009630.jpg

1000009631.jpg

1000009632.jpg

Can't forget the milled channel in the bottom of the front scope ring for the front receiver/base screw!

All 3 Redfield 700SA welded mounts are the exact same, except #3. The first 2 mounts have full milling on the bottom, whereas #3 has partial milling on the bottom. None of these bases have the line going across the base (no lip to grab the edge of the receiver's front bridge). So, only the partial and full milling on the underside of the 700SA scope bases are known to be correct.

Notice that all 3 scope bases are marked "700SA" without a dash between the "700" and the "SA" in the stamp. All 3 bases have a lightening cut beneath the windage screws. All 700SA welded mounts have a screw channel milled into the bottom of the front scope ring because the front ring dovetail in the scope base was moved forward from it's original location on the 40X scope bases. We can see the bottom of the front scope ring through the dovetail cutout in the scope base. This shows us that unlike the 1-64 and 1-66 marked low height scope rings on the 40X M40 bases, the medium height scope rings on the 700SA transitional M40A1 mounts are not marked with anything. So, ignore all of the eBay sellers who claim that their 1-64 and 1-66 marked medium height Redfield scope rings are correct for clone builds, they're 100% wrong!

In your post, only #6 and #7 would be a suitable scope bases to use for a USMC transitional M40A1 clone build, but they're still slightly incorrect with the line going across the bottom that isn't milled away. They both have the correct lightening cuts under the windage screws, which is visible when examining a clone rifle (so I recommend that you ensure the scope base you use on your clone build has the lightening cuts). When it comes down to it, don't worry if you can't find a 700SA scope base with partial or full milling on the bottom. Use what you can find, there's other characteristics that are more important.

In your post, #5 is a "lightweight" 700SA base, Redfield made these lightweight bases with less steel, they just removed some from the back side of the scope base. These are very common and I've even seen people use them on clone builds, and they never noticed that there was something odd about the backside of their 700SA scope base.

Also, look at the "R" logo on the side of #6 in your photos. It looks backwards, lol.

Last edited:
I’m a member at M14 Forum, but only go there for M14 stuff. I’ll check out your posts there.

Were the bases machined to lower the front as a sort of ad hoc MOA mount?

Last edited:
Deleted. Repetitious.

Looks real to me, and $800 is an absolute steal! I normally sell the 40X bases with correct rings for $2,000 in my original USMC M40 take-off parts kits (scope, stock, barrel, base/rings)! Full milling on the underside of some 40X bases has been documented, but most of the 40X bases have the line/lip/edge/whatever going across the bottom of the scope base.

Compare the bottom of these 2 original USMC transitional M40A1 Redfield 40X welded scope mounts to the bottom of the USMC transitional M40A1 Redfield 700SA welded scope mounts in my previous post. Notice that the 40X bases don't have lightening cuts underneath the windage screws. On the 40X scope bases, the front scope ring doesn't obscure the front receiver/base screw, so no channel needs to be cut in the bottom of the front ring.

1000009638.jpg

1000009641.jpg

Here is a cheap/ easy alternative to the re-production M40 stocks. Many of the older ADL stocks are "close" in appearance to the original M40's. Many early Remington 700's have these stocks. Correct varmint barrel channel/ safety bump and dimensionally close to the re-production stocks I have on hand. A lot of guys spend hours trying to remove the checkering, steaming, lifting and sanding...I do not have this patience. I backfilled the checkering with wood filler, opened the bottom metal for the BDL, scuffed and painted it. For a knock around competition rifle it'll do...

Attachments

• 20240306_193547.jpg
    20240306_193547.jpg
    824.1 KB · Views: 70
Hello, I'm new to this community. Great guide btw! I recently purchased a Remington 700 SSA M40, I have the Badger Ordnance M40 Retro mount and rings. The last thing needed is the Redfield 3-9x40 USMC M40 Edition Scope. If anyone has one they are willing to sell please let me know. Thank you.

I can appreciate those who want to build a traditional rifle... but it has many drawbacks, and I like performance over old school stuff, it was closer to the M40 A1 yrs ago ... its been revamped, it now has a trued Rem 700 action, a Bartlein SS 5 R rifled, 9 twist, 22" barrel with a muzzle brake. Plus a better scope and better mounts.
It shoots 200 gr .715 BC SMK at 2740 fps and 3333 ft /bs at the muzzle.
1000 yds 8.1 mils 1686 fps 1263 ft / lbs of energy. 53" of wind deflection at 10 mph cross wind. Good for 1700 yds, at my location.
The reason for the 9 twist.
Been shootin 308s for 50 yrs, I didn't like the old mounting system or the Redfield scope, the wood stock was discarded fairly quickly.
Re- shooting the old era sniper rifles in one case, it was a 2 MOA gun, barrel pitted, I believe it was Hathcocks, not sure on that...
The synthetic stock was a big improvement in Vietnam.
I have wooded stock, it looks kinda cool, but for me, I want performance. So it's not an original, I don't like all the original stuf, like the mounts, which I've had fail, the scope, or the wooden stock. The stock can be helped by pillars and glass bedding.
But synthetic with alum bedding block is the easy choice for me.

So I might as well modernize it with what I like and gives me performance, I desire.
With the basic genes of the Remington 700 and the M40A1...but to my tastes.
It did have the M3 Mark 4 10X, then the M1 Mark 4-14X...now a Vortex on the 20 MOA base..only because the scopes are in use elsewhere.

So...Yep, it's just another 308.

Attachments

• 20240328_180906.jpg
    20240328_180906.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 41
I can appreciate those who want to build a traditional rifle... but it has many drawbacks, and I like performance over old school stuff, it was closer to the M40 A1 yrs ago ... its been revamped, it now has a trued Rem 700 action, a Bartlein SS 5 R rifled, 9 twist, 22" barrel with a muzzle brake. Plus a better scope and better mounts.
1000 yds 8.1 mils 1686 fps 1263 ft / lbs of energy. 53" of wind deflection at 10 mph cross wind. Good for 1700 yds, at my location.
Been shootin 308s for 50 yrs, I didn't like the old mounting system or the Redfield scope, the wood stock was discarded fairly quickly.
Re- shooting the old era sniper rifles in one case, it was a 2 MOA gun, barrel pitted, I believe it was Hathcocks, not sure on that...
I have wooded stock, it looks kinda cool, but for me, I want performance. So it's not an original, I don't like all the original stuf, like the mounts, which I've had fail, the scope, or the wooden stock. The stock can be helped by pillars and glass bedding.

So I might as well modernize it with what I like and gives me performance, I desire.
It did have the M3 Mark 4 10X, then the M1 Mark 4-14X...now a Vortex on the 20 MOA base..only because the scopes are in use elsewhere.

What's the point in even posting this over here in this M40 clone build thread? You obviously shoot what you enjoy, so why shit over what we enjoy? There's nothing in this thread that has to do with performance or upgrades. This is a thread that is 100% about cloning the 1966 USMC M40 sniper rifle. Nothing else. It's not some random "just another .308" that we're researching, building and shooting, this is all about cloning and appreciating an extremely historicaly important USMC sniper rifle. There aren't any "drawbacks" or anything else to what we're doing and what our end goals are, your post isn't even remotely relevant to the discussion that we're currently having in this thread. This is the Vintage Section, we discuss vintage stuff over here. If you want to have a discussion about adding accessories to a basic civilian Remington 700 rifle, then why not start a thread about it over in the Bolt Action Rifles section of the forum, where discussions like that actually take place.

Last edited:
What's the point in even posting this over here in this M40 clone? You obviously shoot what you enjoy, so why shit over what we enjoy? There's nothing in this thread that has to do with performance or upgrades. This is a thread that is 100% about cloning the 1966 USMC M40 sniper rifle. Nothing else. It's not some random "just another .308" that we're researching, building and shooting, this is all about cloning and appreciating an extremely historicaly important USMC sniper rifle. There aren't any "drawbacks" or anything else to what we're doing and what our end goals are, your post isn't even remotely relevant to the discussion that we're currently having in this thread. This is the Vintage Section, we discuss vintage stuff over here. If you want to have a discussion about adding accessories to a basic civilian Remington 700 rifle, then why not start a thread about it over in the Bolt Action Rifles section of the forum, where discussions like that actually take place.
Well, since its a clone and not the real deal, seems like "some" would like to improve up on its performance...."some" do and have folks like GA Precision make something close with match barrels, trued actions, and the M40A1 stock, but could probably use wood if customer desires. Maybe, stamp USMC on the side.
To me its like those italian replica 1873 Colts, make em how ya want, modified for competition, or just enhanced for plinking, or not, maybe try to get the appearance of the real Colt... your choice...but they are still clones, and valued as such.
Like a Remington 700,
nothing special about them, they just appear to be, something they are not.
No big deal enjoy it your way.
But, if ya have a real Colt 1902 SAA, ya don't want to do that...usually.
Cause it's the real deal, and has historical, and collector value.

Well, since its a clone and not the real deal, seems like "some" would like to improve up on its performance...."some" do and have folks like GA Precision make something close with match barrels, trued actions, and the M40A1 stock, but could probably use wood if customer desires. Maybe, stamp USMC on the side.
To me its like those italian replica 1873 Colts, make em how ya want, modified for competition, or just enhanced for plinking, or not, maybe try to get the appearance of the real Colt... your choice...but they are still clones, and valued as such.
Like a Remington 700,
nothing special about them, they just appear to be, something they are not.
No big deal enjoy it your way.
But, if ya have a real Colt 1902 SAA, ya don't want to do that...usually.
Cause it's the real deal, and has historical, and collector value.
We get it you don’t like clone rifles go post in the area not about them then. We don’t expect everyone to be into them. They are not for everyone.

Yep, your right... these old outdated rifles just can't shoot as good as a modern rifle.

M40 Groups.jpg

Those are consecutive 3 shot groups at 100 yards.
DW

@USMCSGT0331 looks like my question got lost in the noise. What is the barrel on your 7 digit M40? Is it the same barrel that was used on the A1, or something unique to late M40s?

Last edited:
@USMCSGT0331 looks like my question got lost in the noise. What is the barrel on your 7 digit M40? Is it the same barrel that was used on the A1, or something unique to late M40s?
Ryan will answer at some time but they look really close to me. Maybe color difference or angle of pic. A1 barrel is a definite different contour. One of the stocks “looks” slightly thinner at the end as well. May be or not.

Looks like my comment got lost in the noise as well. I came to this forum for help, the guide you put together here is very informative. I'm new to the cloning game, sometimes these parts can be very hard to come by. Luckily, I've got everything I need besides the scope I'm after. If anyone has a Redfield 3-9x40 USMC Edition Scope they are willing to let go please let me know. Thank you.

Looks like my comment got lost in the noise as well. I came to this forum for help, the guide you put together here is very informative. I'm new to the cloning game, sometimes these parts can be very hard to come by. Luckily, I've got everything I need besides the scope I'm after. If anyone has a Redfield 3-9x40 USMC Edition Scope they are willing to let go please let me know. Thank you.

Your comment didn't get lost in the noise, we all know that you're looking for the scope! You have 6 posts on this site, and 4 of those 6 post are you posting that you're looking for a scope. You even posted that twice in this thread and posted in 2 other threads. We get it, you're looking for a scope!

That's about as kindly as I'll put it, since you're new here. Other accounts have been locked or banned for spamming the tech sections of this post for WTB and WTS posts like yours. Just be thankful that a mod hasn't seen your posts and locked your account or whatever by now. Don't take this personally, the people who frequent this section of the forum (and other sections) are sick of people trying to post WTB and WTS outside of the PX area. If you think I'm being harsh, just imagine having to write this same post every few weeks (assuming that the mods haven't first banned the person). I'm providing you with advice below, I suggest that you use it.

If you're truly here to learn, then start asking questions in the relevant topic threads. There's many people on this site, myself included, that will do our absolute best to help you out. But first you need to stop making these WTB (want to buy) posts all over this section of the forum. Also, the guys who hang out in this section usually check every single thread for new posts, because this is the stuff that interests us. So, if we've seen one of your posts, then we've seen them all, and someone would have contacted you by now if they could help. Spamming this section is only going to turn people off and that will only work against you.

Here's a link to the PX on this forum, where you will make all of your buy/sell/trade posts:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forums/firearms-buy-sell-trade/

So, please stop posting your WTB ads in this secton of the forum, use the PX. Also, this site hammers people for making posts like yours outside the PX area because it's not just annoying, but it's also against site rules and tons of people try to sidestep the part where they need to pay to use the PX. The forum owner and the moderators do an amazing job keeping this site running and adding content for paid members. Buying a "supporter" account for $20 per month is a very small price to pay to have exclusive access to what's possibly the best forum PX on the internet! The money also goes to making the site better, covers the site costs, and pays for the content that's exclusive to paid memberships.

With that said, and the assumption that you aren't going to make any more WTB posts for that scope outside of the PX area, what M40 information can I help you with? Post questions here or in their relevant threads, and we'll start helping you out.

Yep, your post definitely got lost in the noise! This is a great example of why I hate people spamming this section with WTB/WTS posts or posting shit that's completely irrelevant and erroneous to the thread's actual topic (see the 2 posters above who have done exactly this in this thread). Thank you for posting again, otherwise I wouldn't have seen your question.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions about the barrel right now because it's an enigma! I have some theories about my 7 digit M40 (and some of the other similar 7 digit M40's), but I'm going to refrain from posting my thoughts on everything because my study is still ongoing. However, as soon as I'm ready, I'll make a new thread about these extremely unique M40's!

All I can say right now is that the barrels on these strange 7 digit M40's aren't Remington factory made barrels. The barrels were made by military armorers for a specific reason.

Ryan will answer at some time but they look really close to me. Maybe color difference or angle of pic. A1 barrel is a definite different contour. One of the stocks “looks” slightly thinner at the end as well. May be or not.

Nope, it's not a color difference or the angle of the photograph. My 7 digit M40 definitely has a unique barrel on it, and it's quite different than regular M40 and M40A1 barrels. Also, it's a gen 1 stock on my 6 digit M40 and a gen 2 stock on my 7 digit M40, so you could be seeing a difference between those stocks.

Reactions: JTM20