• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO 3.2-17x SN-3 Article Review

CSTactical

Sniper's Hide Vendor
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    www.cstactical.com
    Just finished this Article and some Pics...Check it out:

USO 3.2-17x SN-3 Article Review

4607458408_14ecc30ef8.jpg

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

Re: USO 3.2-17x SN-3 Article Review

Very cool Mike. Your shop has come a long way, and I really like how you strive to offer items of value to the shooter, not just product.

Nice review, now the wait for all the other brand loyalists to begin the bashing, maybe we can actually have a civilized thread this time.

a good and honest review. That is the kind of review I look for before I buy an upscale expensive scope. Thanks.

Back in the winter issue of "Varmint Hunter", M.L. McPherson provided a good "objective" (no pun intended) review of the USO SN-3, and spotter.

Also worth finding and reading if you can.

Good review Mike, and thanks.

Thanks for the review mike, good write up.

That was very well done Mike.

Nice review-well written, fair and objective. Mike your shop has a great selection and having you post online here the new products or what just came in is great.

That scope is just to me the coolest looking thing ever....I know that has no operational value......but it looks great and the features are super. If you want what you want and can wait 6 months to get it USO may be a great way to go.

Someone else did an article that said the USO's aren't real hardcore......but they look like if you run dry you can take off your scope and still be well armed.....like a small baseball bat. Also an article did a broad test with various high end shooters and it was a deal with various optics and maybe 8 comp. shooters after a match looking through various scopes and rating them in a variety of optical catagories edge to edge, brightness etc etc. This testing said the USO ran well behind the S&B and Premeir......I have heard from others that USO has upgraded their glass and guys who own USO and S&B's think the USO is better optical quality?

Any input/opinions

Derek

Very nice review bud! The customer service is one of the things that won me over... Very hard to find good people like John and his crew!

Keep it up guys
    Jake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derek Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice review-well written, fair and objective. Mike your shop has a great selection and having you post online here the new products or what just came in is great.

That scope is just to me the coolest looking thing ever....I know that has no operational value......but it looks great and the features are super. If you want what you want and can wait 6 months to get it USO may be a great way to go.

Someone else did an article that said the USO's aren't real hardcore......but they look like if you run dry you can take off your scope and still be well armed.....like a small baseball bat. Also an article did a broad test with various high end shooters and it was a deal with various optics and maybe 8 comp. shooters after a match looking through various scopes and rating them in a variety of optical catagories edge to edge, brightness etc etc. This testing said the USO ran well behind the S&B and Premeir......I have heard from others that USO has upgraded their glass and guys who own USO and S&B's think the USO is better optical quality?

Any input/opinions

Derek </div></div>

I did a very basic review on my USO SN3 T-Pal, EREK 3.2-17X a few weeks ago here comparing it to my 5-25X S&B PMII. Unfortunately the thread turned into a pissing match from guys thinking nothing can equal a S&B. I love my S&B I wouldn't trade or sell it unless I absolutely had to but I feel the same way about the USO. I have had other brands of scopes that I let go and don't feel bad about. I posted mainly because of the thread you are talking about that said USO's glass was not as good as S&B. To me they are very close and would be difficult to say one is better. The wait is torture but it's worth it. Also I haven't been using my scope as a hammer but it looks and feels (for what that's worth) like it is overbuilt and will hold up well in a harsh environment. From my experience their CS is very good, I always get emails answered the same day, usually within hours. Becky over there was great sending me an eyepiece flipup to three different addresses as I kept moving around lately.

Thanks for the great review, contemplating a SN-3 purchase and reading this might have just sealed the deal!

You can get USO scopes with the MTC option? I thought S&B and PR were the only companies that offered that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get USO scopes with the MTC option? </div></div>

Actually we don't own the name/trademark "MTC", this is something that S&B and Premier use, the trademarked name of the knob is the "Milestone" knob. Just want to make this is clear for legal reasons, U.S. Optics does not, and will not use "MTC" in any of our advertising etc.
    John III

I'm sorry about this John. I was just quoting what was on the Premier Scope “MTC-U.S.Optics, U.S Pat. # 7,415,791”. I will have it edited with the correct terminology.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DS12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the great review, contemplating a SN-3 purchase and reading this might have just sealed the deal! </div></div>

I know right ... that bastard Mike swayed me and I pulled the pin on one ... I have no doubt Ill be happy with it.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to get down behind some other people's rifles that are topped with S&Bs and NightForces to compare them against my USO SN-3 TPAL 5x25. Me personally, I couldn't tell a difference in clarity between the USO and S&B with the NF coming in a very close second, all three blowing away the SS and Leupold that I have as well. I haven't had a chance to look through any other of the top end manufactures yet but I know I plan on buying more USOs in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derek Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also an article did a broad test with various high end shooters and it was a deal with various optics and maybe 8 comp. shooters after a match looking through various scopes and rating them in a variety of optical catagories edge to edge, brightness etc etc. This testing said the USO ran well behind the S&B and Premeir......I have heard from others that USO has upgraded their glass and guys who own USO and S&B's think the USO is better optical quality?

Any input/opinions?</div></div>

I'm familiar with the test you're referring to and I'm not sure of the exact date it was done. I have been told that they (USO) upgraded their glass but I'm not sure when exactly that took place. I can't verify the time line of the test you're referring to vs. the time line of the glass upgrade.

What I can tell you is what I wrote in the article. I have heard different people say they feel they can see clearer through a USO vs. a S & B and vice-versa (feel free to change out the manufacturer names for Nightforce, Premier, Zeiss, etc). I've heard guys rate one manufacturer over another, in regards to glass, even though those manufacturers buy their glass from the same source. What do you do with that?

Remember, it's more important to be able to hit what you're aiming at than see a gnat on your target. Seeing a gnat on your target and not being able to hit it consistently isn't going to get you excited about the quality of the glass.

That's the best answer I can give...

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry about this John. I was just quoting what was on the Premier Scope “MTC-U.S.Optics, U.S Pat. # 7,415,791”. I will have it edited with the correct terminology.
    </div></div>

No big deal Mike, as long as USO didn't use it in any advertising form.
    John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get USO scopes with the MTC option? </div></div>

Actually we don't own the name/trademark "MTC", this is something that S&B and Premier use, the trademarked name of the knob is the "Milestone" knob. Just want to make this is clear for legal reasons, U.S. Optics does not, and will not use "MTC" in any of our advertising etc.
    John III </div></div>

So you can or cannot order a USO with knobs that have a heavier detent every full mil? Sorry, I'm a ra-tard :p

Order your USO with "milestone" knob and you'll get your heavier detents/more tactile clicks. My USO on order will have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Order your USO with "milestone" knob and you'll get your heavier detents/more tactile clicks. My USO on order will have it. </div></div>

I've yet to see that added to their site, how much does that cost over the regular EREK knob?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOG0317</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get USO scopes with the MTC option? </div></div>

John III </div></div>

So you can or cannot order a USO with knobs that have a heavier detent every full mil? Sorry, I'm a ra-tard :p </div></div>

John's saying you can, its their "Milestone" turret, not the name "MTC" used by S&B and Premier. Semantics all in all, they do the same (except I'll bet USO will put the heavy detents anywhere you want them (like a BDC for your load/rifle).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've yet to see that added to their site, how much does that cost over the regular EREK knob? </div></div>

The Milestone option will be featured on the new website, this should be completed by July. We haven't wanted to waste the time and money to make any new modifications to the old site.
    John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    What I can tell you is what I wrote in the article. I have heard different people say they feel they can see clearer through a USO vs. a S & B and vice-versa (feel free to change out the manufacturer names for Nightforce, Premier, Zeiss, etc). I've heard guys rate one manufacturer over another, in regards to glass, even though those manufacturers buy their glass from the same source. What do you do with that?

<span style="color: #FF0000">You simply realise the maker (glass) is less important than the specs OR batch of glass. I'm sure you know this, that glass is made within specs and what is ordered by the optical product maker. There are also coating differences (I suspect a spectrum shift with differing coating causes the same lense to look better to some than others. line up ten scopes and some guys pick A. some pick C, Some pick.... yet they might pass the same light percentage. We all "see" a little different.) then we can look at internal differences of the scopes which also change how they "look".
    Guys should pick what they need and what looks best to them and not argue about pointless crap
    smile.gif

What looks good to one guy may not look good to another. It's not opinion, it's just what you see is not the same as what someone else can see. </span>

Remember, it's more important to be able to hit what you're aiming at than see a gnat on your target. Seeing a gnat on your target and not being able to hit it consistently isn't going to get you excited about the quality of the glass.

That's the best answer I can give...

Thanks,

Mike @ CST </div></div>