• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO accessories

scullti

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Hartland, CT
I just got a USO (courtesy of rad, thanks) and was thinking of getting a sunshade and polarizer/ARD. I'm posting because I'm wondering about the overall effectiveness of the sunshade and ARD combo. I looked on the USO website and it claims that its ARD enhances low light detail and complements the sunshade, so I'd like to know what you guys think of this. I also read that someone was actually getting a decrease in clarity with the ARD mounted, so I'd rather not waste my money if this is the case.

Oh yeah, and opinions on 2" vs 4" sunshade?

Thanks,

Nate

Re: USO accessories

I cannot speak to the ARD, as I do not have one in either of my USO's- but I can say that the 2-inch sunshade seems perfectly adequate. I also have a 4-inch one, and I never use it- it is so far out there that I have to put my hand WAAAY out front to flip the scope cap open, as opposed to the 2-inch, where I just extend my thumb, and flip it.

Hope This Helps,

Marc

I'd buy two 2" with the ARD in one of them, they are stackable. In bright sunlight or very clear morning and evening light I have not really noticed any degradation in the quality of the target image. And, FWIW, I have never had to stack the shades on a 37mm or 44mm objective to get the benefit of the shade.

I've never had a prob with my 2" ARD. Actually improves depth perception in the shadows on targets to me.

Anyone have a 37mm ARD they don't need??

I have the 2" sunshade with ARD on my SN-3 1.8-10x37 and it works great. I have looked through the scope with it on and off and cant tell a difference in clarity. IMHO its worth picking up.

Personally, I find no value added with a shade. I have intentionally tried to put the optic in a situation that should be improved with a shade, and I just cant see it being of enough use to justify the added mass. I just prefer compact optics, so maybe my judgment is clouded.

You're in StLouis, that explains it!! Try Arizona sun when shooting uphill to the southeast or east in the mid morning...

Big need I'm finding for a shade for my ST10 on my AR is that I get some spatter on the lens as it is now (no shade). I guess there's some CLP in my system that is leaking under my gasblock (YHM bolt on).
This will go away whenever DPMS gets my VTac forend in though.

I really feel the ARD does add depth to the view when looking at targets in the shade.