• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO AT LOWLIGHT

BIGBOY1975

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Choupique,Louisiana
Im thinking about bitting the bullet and getting a long range scope leaning towards a uso i currently have swarovski i will be hunting with my rig and what is a uso like at dark thirty?

Re: USO AT LOWLIGHT

I have Swaro binnos and spotting scope and USO sn3 1.8x10. I will see the time difference between blackout at 100 yards tonight. I will use the 8x30 binnos.

if your used to swarovski glass, i'ed look at schmidt and bender or kahles, maybe zeiss hensoldt as well. it's hard to go back from european glass.

I agree, the USO isnt going to do it for you in low light. The Bender is VERY hard to beat, however the new Kahles K 6-24X56 holds its own as will Zeiss/Hensoldt. I have compaired all with others and I keep going back to Bender for the optics to include the lowlight optics. Ohter than optically is a toss up or which one will have the features you need.

I agree, if your used to Swarovski type hunting glass your going to want to stay with S&B or Hensoldt, in my opinion. I'd go with a 3-12x50 S&B or the 4-16x56 Hensoldt. They are similar size, but more compact than if you go higher magnification S&B. For Hunting I chose the Hensoldt, even though I am probably more comfortable with my S&B's. The Hensoldt just really works out well as a hunting scope (easy to get behind in compromised positions/eyebox, fully illuminated reticle, maybe a tad bit brighter at deer thirty).

I've noticed in low light conditions with a variable scope that reducing the magnification level increases the brightness of the picture even beyond the brightness from the naked eye. I really don't know what causes this, but I assume this is the large objective lens concentrating all the light it gathers.

So whatever brand you do end up choosing, get a big bell and adjust the zoom level down.