• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO for CQB?

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I am thinking of mounting a USO 1.5-6 on an all around gun. The question is since this is a FFP scope, once you dial it down for up close work can you still pick the reticle up quickly?

How much faster would an ACOG be for that type of work?

Re: USO for CQB?

IMO a variable scope does not serve the primary role of CQB very well. I have bought and sold an ACOG, an Accupoint, and a USO SN4 persuing this avenue. Im just going back to an aimpoint. The only one I havent tried but would like to is an Elcan Specter.

With practice and the right kind of eyesight the ACOG can be as fast as a true 1 power scope. I've seen it done, no I can't do it. That being said a 1-4 power is very hard to beat for both close up and distance. I have run a Meopta 1-4 for several years in 3 gun and haven't found anything I like better. It is good from contact to 400 yd.
Recently put a USO SN-4, 1.5-6 on my comp AR and have used it in one match that wasn't a true tactical match. Had shots from 25yd to 600yd, with movers out to the 600 yd. line. The scope really shined for this particular type of match. I've played with it on some close stuff and the added 1/2 power only slowes me down a touch. Really like it for stuff 25yd and on out. The retical does get a little small but your close if your dialed down that far so it works fine. I'd be comfortable shooting out to a least 200yd with it on 1.5 power.

I have a leupold with a gen II reticle and an IOR FFP scope. the gen 2 has thick duplex lines that extend further towards the center than the MP8 reticle does.

When dialed down on both scopes the reticle on the leupold is still thick enough and goes towards the center enough that I could see it working for fast moving close in engagements. The MP8 on the IOR gets so fine you have a hard time finding it even if you have the time.

So, will USO behave more like one or the other? In other words, when dialed down will it still be big enough for CQT (I know it wont' be as fast as an aimpoint)?

Take a look at the JNG reticle in the 1.5-6 and get the green illumination. Yes the reticle does get small on 1.5 but with that circle it seems to suck your eye to the center. The 18 MOA circle is certianly enough for go fast. 9" at 50, 4.5" at 25 etc.

Another good option is the 1 - 4 with the DOE II reticle. It has a cross hair that goes all the way to the edges and provides a nice center aim point at all powers.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Doc

m1aconvert:

The topic heading asks if USO is good for CQB and in your opening post you say close in work.

If you are engaged in CQB you are typically engaging targets at 25 yards or less. Any magnified optic would be inappropriate under those circumstances. The reason for the M68 (Aimpoint) or the EOTech, is to allow you to engage your target without having the bore and your eye in alignment. Your head can be in any position with respect to the centerline of the bore. This allows you to have a maximum amount of forward and lateral visibility, thus enhancing situational awareness.
A magnified optic, requires that you maintain eye-relief and eye alignment; however, magnified optics can be very helpful when there is distance between you and the target, where you have time to aim.
Depending on what your weapon platform is, I think you need both.

Regards,

IUD

You know I am going to ask what make what may seem like a strange staement but hear me out: There are alot of guys who say they want a CQB optic but for many of us we are not running through buildings popping bad guys or reactive targets. So what I have seen is what they really need is something more along the lines of a DMR optic. Like an Acog something that will allow you to engage targets danger close and let you precision plink to 100 or 200 yards.
So with all that said I agree with using a scope that is like an ACOG or a1-4x maybe even 2-7x very durable and with an illuminated recticle. Yes Docs, choice is awesome, and the USO is great choice and these days it is even cheaper than an ACOG. I have also used an IOR valdata and a very inexpensive simmons shotgun scope. 2.5 power with a slightly longer eye relief, it is very fast and if you set it right you can use it both eyes open (no illuminated recticle but hey I was on a budget

I somewhat agree.

Many people don't realistically analyze their needs. For 3-gun a 1-4x variable is the best bet.

For real-life door kicking you don't need anything more than a bomb-proof 1x.

For plinking damn near anything will work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many people don't realistically analyze their needs.

For plinking damn near anything will work. </div></div>

Those two statements should be carved into stone and read as gosple.

Cheers,

Doc