• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USO, Leupold, vortex, or ???

Wyatt Earp

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2008
In the south
Let me start by saying this will be my first mid-upper end scope. I am looking for a scope to go on a custom .300 win mag that I'm having built. This is a lighter weight rifle, proof carbon barrel, ag stock. I'm having the rifle built to hunt elk out west, so I'm trying to keep it light or lighter. My other rifles are AIAT chassis and MPA, both heavy rifles. So this new rifle is going to be much lighter even if I get a bigger optic.

Some options I'm looking at and need advice, also open to other options you might suggest in the under $2,000 range.

1) I have a 50% coupon for a USO FDN 25X. With JVCR and internal level I can get it for $1800ish.5-25x52 34-35 ounces.
2) Leupold mark 5 around the 2k mark, I like the pr2 reticle.5-25x56 @ 30 ounces
3) Used Vortex Razor hd, sub 2k prolly $1750 range. 4.5-27x56 48.5 ounces

I am going to take this rifle hunting but also really like just shooting metal plates.

Thanks for the help, Wyatt

The Burris XTR3 should be in your choices also.

Use a high quality padded sling to disperse the load of the rifle.
I'm not a huge fan of going light with the optic because mass equals vibration/shock reduction and more mass can often mean better optic durability. I prefer one piece scope mounts too. My two cents. :)

I know lighter is better for hunting but even if I got the razor (which I think is way too heavy) the rifle and optic are pounds lighter than what I normally carry.

As far as carrying, it stays strapped to my exo mtn gear pack 95% of the time.

If I like it a lot better than the cheaper optics I have, it’ll probably sit on one of my 6.5’s most of the year for shooting steel and paper and then go on the .300 September til end of the year.

Have fun chasing that elk, and happy hunting!

So the fdn 25x no good? I figured at nearly twice the price as these others it’d be a no brainer? Need to steer clear of uso?

I’m good with mid 30’s on the weight. I just want to get the best for my money.

thanks for the help so far

Are you eligible for any discounts mil/le or something? I think the Razor HD LHT would be good. Heard good things about them even though they're only a year or so old.

The best out of those scopes is easily the USO. However, I’m not sure that would be my choice for a hunting rifle. I would probably lean toward the Leupold Mark 5.

The best out of those scopes is easily the USO. However, I’m not sure that would be my choice for a hunting rifle. I would probably lean toward the Leupold Mark 5.
USO too big? FOV and weight are pretty close to the same. There another reason you like the mark 5 better? Just curious, as I said all of these are way better than my other optics.

the USO scopes, especially the FDN series are solid. plenty of haters here, but the price/performance speaks. i've also had good results with the 2.5-20 ts20x

^^This...

The USO is nicer than the other two. If you dont mind the size and weight, I would run that one. I wouldn't even consider the Razor.

And as mentioned above, the Burris XTR3 belongs in this conversation. Nicer eyebox and FOV than the MK5. Glass is as good or better.