• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO Monocular

shakey yankee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2006
FTB Ga
Ok, I put a bug in Johns ear. Who out there would be interested in a USO Monocular with or without a mildot? Say 6,8 or 10X.

Re: USO Monocular

Vortex Solo Tactical R/T 8x36 has a pretty sweet reticle and glass. For the price its hard to beat.

I would love one with a CMG MOA reticle! Keep us updated on how it comes along.

Absolutely interested, mildot would be great too.

I certainly would be interested in seeing this. I currently carry an Aimpoint 3x magnifier on my gear if I want a quick look at something. It is compact and lets me see a little better without grabbing binos etc. As long as it stays small I think it will be full of win. Too big and I personally will not use at as I have other options.

MILDOT vote here too. It's what I'm trained on, what I use... and I'd love to have something to carry around for ranging practice... GREAT IDEA.

Thanks for all the input, the more interest generated, the more inclined USO will be to throw some R&D into this. Currently, IMHO, I believe specs should be as follows:

Size: about the same as the Aimpoint 3x Mag
Power: 6X
Reticle: Mildot
Fixed paralax

The simpler the design, the cheaper it would be I would expect.

Thoughts?

I think your direction is the right one (at least for me). I would not want bigger then the Aimpoint 3x but an increased magnification would be ideal. I like how rugged the Aimpoint is so something similar would be great. I am not as attached to the reticle but options would be great such as none, Mildot, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Solo Tactical R/T 8x36 has a pretty sweet reticle and glass. For the price its hard to beat. </div></div>

I definitely agree. Had a Solo in my pocket just now when I went to do a few things outside. It always goes to parks with the family and on road-trips.

For a future USO monocular, I think 8x is the right magnification, if anything bump it up to 10x but then it gets harder to stabilize/smaller exit pupil.

With an 8x monocular you still have a field of view that is about the same as a 2.5x rifle scope (completely fit a deer at 20 yards). You also want the reticle to be a decent size for more accurate ranging and the 33% increase in magnification over a 6x for detail.

Everything they have to date leverages the existing eyepiece. As you go down in scope power, down to the SN-4 and SN-12, the eyepiece is proportionally larger and larger. Putting this on a monocular would make for a large diameter monocular compared to other offerings on the market. To resolve this, they end up on the path of developing a new eyepiece. Once on that path, I would think they'd look at doing that development so it applied to all or most of the existing line, not just a Monocular.

A slippery slope you have suggested they get on here Rick.