• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO Problems (Dust / Dirt) - Anyone Else?

jgobbels

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
Hoover, AL
I have a brand new SN-3 that I received back in April and have so far been extremely disappointed with the quality.

The optic was clear when I received it, but when I mounted it I noticed that there were several areas where dirt or dust fell on the glass.

As disappointed as I was, I called and sent the scope back to USO at my expense ($70) and they turned it around in about 3 weeks. I mounted the scope and have not actually fired the rifle (New AIAW)…. I took the rifle out tonight getting ready to finally go to the range to start the break-in procedure and when I looked through the optic tonight…… well, here we go again…. Another 2 areas with dirt or dust on the glass.

I unfortunately had this in the build process during the “Roof collapse”, but they assured me that the QA process was 100% before they would ship it out.

In reading the paperwork, I see that they offer 1 “free” cleaning as this is somewhat normal.

My question:
Is this normal?
Will the dust possibly shake off when I finally start to shoot this rifle?

I guess I expected more when I made the choice to step up to a $2K optic…. I hate to compare apples and oranges but with several MK4’s in the inventory that have never had a problem I’m not pleased…

Help set me straight guy’s… I want to stay with USO, but I’m about ready to look for USO to refund my money on this…

Thanks in advance,

John~

Re: USO Problems (Dust / Dirt) - Anyone Else?

It happens from time to time! Bang it against a phonebook; No joke!
grin.gif

Turk,

As funny as that sounds, Ive been thinking that either recoil or a good smack might help. Im just afraid what else it clinging onto the tube up there. Could fix it or make it worse:)......

It's either that or the USO recommended method of rubber mallet! Your choice!
grin.gif

JFG he's not kidding give it a few wacks against a phone book.

I ordered a spotter from them right before the infamous clean room incident. So far I have had no issue with dust/dirt in the lense. As for me I would indeed try wacking it on the phone book, hell its worth a shot. Heck sometimes I think my spotter could be used as a bat in a pinch.

Evidently the dust is more pronounced in a FFP scope; thus needing a more sterile enviorenment! As Deniro would say "whack that MF"!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USO website's FAQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">My reticle appears to have dust on it, what is this?</span>
The bodies of our scopes are machined with light break ups and then coated with Type III hard anodizing to reduce the unwanted stray light. Sometimes a small particle become loose and is attracted to the static properties of the glass reticle in the front focal plane. Since the reticle is under extreme magnification the dust particle appear to be very large. Most cases the particle will fall off of the reticle and stick to the grease that is on the inside of the tube. Sometimes it is necessary to help the duct along a bit. This can be done by shooting the rifle, taking a drive down a dirt road with the rifle, tapping the scope with a rubber mallet or anything that will give it a jar.

</div></div>

wack it, it will make u feel better. or try the recoil thing. what ever makes u happy

Thanks Gents!

I'll be putting some rounds through it today and following the USO recommendations on allowable scope "Abuse" to knock the dust around a bit.

Your help was much appreciated!

Best,

John~

It happens. I have had it with 2 different make scopes. There is grease on the inside of the optic that is there to catch the flecks. In a FFP they get magnified. I would shoot it or otherwise tap it on something to move it. Once it gets trapped in the grease, it is there.

Can be frustrating with a new expensive scope, I know what you mean.

Hi John,

I want to apologize for the repeated dust issues you've been experiancing. I believe we were still finishing up the remodeling on our clean room when you sent your scope back. No matter what the case was, if you would like to try knocking the dust off either by your rifle's recoil or with the phone book/mallet technique it may save you the time of sending the scope in. If you would prefer having us take care of it for you I will send you a pm with return shipping instructions and I will make sure the scope is returned to you within a week.

Now that is the wonderful customer service that we know USO for!

Very cool.

Thank you USO!

Just to update everyone,,,

I decided to call USO about 5 minutes ago and see where they recommend I start with the phone book or mallet. Jeff advised me at that time that he PM'd me and I just now noticed the post.

We decided that I'm going to shoot the rifle for a few months and if its still an issue, I'll send it back for repair again.

I agree, its nice to see an organization watching the forums to protect themselves and also give proper customer service.

+1 for them~

Regards,

JFG~

Just knowing it was in there would would upset me. I am no expert but grease or no grease when you pay that kind of money for a scope it shouldn't have dust INSIDE it. I know lots of guys will stand up for USO Optics but I just can't see a design process that allows dust to enter the finished product and then to rely on the fix to be some grease to catch it or to hit it with a phone book. To have to pay 70.00 dollars freight to have it cleaned and then wait 3 weeks on a product that arrived with a factory defect? I can't believe they didn't reimburse you for the freight. I would feel a whole lot better if it hadn't taken them 3 weeks to get your first scope back to you as well.

It's not my scope or my business but you are not the only person that it sounds like wouldn't be happy with how this whole thing has transpired. I asked a couple of guys at the club and they felt the same way I did. Hope it works out for you but this has been an eye opener for me. I just can't seem to excuse this the way these other guys seem to have no trouble excusing it. I am sure that 99.99% of there customers are happy with there purchase. It's how problems are solved that matters to me and customer service is everything. USO piping up on this thread seems a little after the fact to me. They will have it back to you in a week now that the public knows about it but it was three weeks before . A company is only as good as there last customer service transaction in my book. Service is one of the reasons I buy quality. I don't want to deal with issues in the first place and I really don't want to deal with poor service once a company has my money. Sorry, but I am not paying 3,00 grand for a scope that you have to wack with a mallet because it has dust inside of. Jeff

The good thing is that they can take a whack!
grin.gif
And please don't exaggerate; they don't cost 3K! Anything can have a speck in it. If you'd like I can post a pic of a pair of Zeiss binos w/ a spec of something! How ever you feel JW is a man of honor and makes good on whatever he promises! Try that w/ others in the industry!

XJeff,

The alternative way of looking at is there is a manufacturer who stands up and takes care of the problem. I had another manufacturer that their zero stop was DOA and I had to return the scope to them after we went through their trouble shooting process. I did not have a scope for a month.....

Do I get bent out of shape? No I understand as a engineer and as a manufacturer that "shit happens". The true mark of the company's character is represented on how they deal with the problem. Do they run and hide or take it head on? USOptics has a strong reputation of dealing with the problem and as such they are the "gold standard" for customer service.

In this game that means alot.

Hi Guys,
I also want to add that we also have a new ultrasonic cleaner that ALL parts go through now before assembly. This has been operational now for about 3 weeks and we have seen significant results in dust reduction.
Thanks,
John III

I will only make one further post.

Dust inside what is supposed to be one of the best scopes in the world would not be acceptable to me as an end user. Gold standard customer service is not a 3 week turn around with the consumer paying the freight on a factory defect. I know that USO Optics is very well thought of and I am sure that people are not used to people saying things about them that are not 100% nice. I will simply add that what was outlined above is not in anyway indicative of good customer service in my book. Everybody has a tolerance for what they will stand. The customer paying the freight on a factory defect is one of the most chicken shit things I have ever heard. I don't understand how anybody can say they stood up and took care of their problem? They shipped it with dust in the first place, the guy had to ship it back to them at his expense, and then they tell him to hit it with a phone book? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that would sound to anybody who didn't know what the product was?
I just don't like a company promising a quick response after they already had a slow response. If they can have it back to him in a week then why was it 3 weeks the first time? Is it more important now then it was then?
What has changed?

If you think it's fair for the guy to have to pay freight then you guys have a whole lot lower standard of good customer service then I do. That's all!! I don't have any axe to grind with USO optics. I had been lusting after one of their scopes until now and this thread has changed my mind. Way more then enough said. Jeff

You make it sound like 3 weeks is eternity! Did you ever think that they were trying to care of the assembly room in the mean time? I suppose everyman has a price; what's yours $70? I am sure John would've waived that if he had known! It's not a one man show and you can't blame an employee for adhering to a company policy. There are always exceptions and USO is not one to dodge their obligations to the consumer! Your "chicken s#$@" statement is rude and uncalled for! And for the record I don't own a USO; maybe someday! Just spoke w/ them on many occasions real nice people trying their best to assist in any way possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think it's fair for the guy to have to pay freight then you guys have a whole lot lower standard of good customer service then I do. That's all!! I don't have any axe to grind with USO optics. I had been lusting after one of their scopes until now and this thread has changed my mind. Way more then enough said. Jeff</div></div>

I'm not taking sides against USO, they are better than most manufacturers. All I'm saying is, paying freight back to the supplier seems to have become internet standard of late. In places I used to work, we sent a shipping ticket for the merchandise. No excuse. Freight was paid or credited on their statement if returned.
I don't know what's happened in this industry to change all that, but it has. More's the shame.
sick.gif
shocked.gif

Send a Schmidt to Germany........(three weeks??? Good luck)
Nightforce to Idaho.........(mine was several weeks on a DOA Zero Stop)
USOptics to California.......... (three weeks????......)

they are mechanical devices that do fail and have a statisticsl probability of having a problem I suspect any "uber-scope" maufacturer has a problem. What do they do with the problem?

send it to me I will mount it on my Windrunner for a couple weekends and ship it back. No charge and I guarantee dust will be gone. $70 is a lot for shipping unless you put $10,000 insurance, next day air, with delivery conformation and a blow job

I am sure they will take care of you, JFG.

For those who think there is a problem here:

I have waited 4 months for Nikon to service a scope I sent in for a warranty issue.

I own 2 USO's and waited for both of them to be built. Will do it again when I get a third. That is the nature of a custom scope.
If service takes a bit of time, that's fine too. I don't know why it is a big deal if it takes longer on one trip than it does on another. Maybe they were alot busier when it took 3 weeks, or maybe they are going to put a rush on it this time because they want to keep him happy?
One thing I do know for sure...they will make it right in the end. This is important to me. Perfection does not exist but dedication does.

I could not care less if I pay shipping, one way or both, for a $2000.00-plus scope. If I were worried about a few bucks shipping I should probably not be looking at USO.

I don't have an axe to grind with USO either but both my patronage and my post reflect that pretty well.
laugh.gif

On a lighter note;
Nice to see you around, JBW!

Keep in mind Good/Great service is not necessarily always the fastest service. SuperXJeff…slandering a high quality US based company who has stayed in contact w/ the customer & who is ultimately going to make good on the scope one way or another is not Chicken Shit. Additionally paying $70.00 worth of freight… is that the real issue here, I think not.

I can understand the vexation that JFG might have pertaining to spending the money for a custom rifle scope; however, according to USO at the end of the day they are going to make good on what ever decision has to be made. SuperX do a little research on this site and do a ratio between happy customers vs. disgruntled & I think you will that indeed 99.99% of the customer are happy (as you stated). I have news for you, shit happens 0.01% of the time.

USO has AWESOME service. I have used it and it will keep me a customer. In addition to very nice optics. I am surprised about the customer paying shipping. I would bet there is more to that story. Did the customer ask why he was being charged shipping? My guess is that a low level decision was made. I dont think anyone up the ladder would have let the customer pay the shipping unless there are additional details.

USO is GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think it's fair for the guy to have to pay freight then you guys have a whole lot lower standard of good customer service then I do. That's all!! I don't have any axe to grind with USO optics. I had been lusting after one of their scopes until now and this thread has changed my mind. Way more then enough said. Jeff</div></div>

I'm not taking sides against USO, they are better than most manufacturers. All I'm saying is, paying freight back to the supplier seems to have become internet standard of late. In places I used to work, we sent a shipping ticket for the merchandise. No excuse. Freight was paid or credited on their statement if returned.
I don't know what's happened in this industry to change all that, but it has. More's the shame.
sick.gif
shocked.gif
</div></div>
Hi, Mike!

You have an interesting point there...never thought about until you mentioned it.
I doesn't bother me much that this has become the norm.....though I don't know USO's official policy on the matter so I really can't judge them on it. I sent a scope back for an alteration and it never occured to me to do anything but ship it at my cost, would do the same for a repair.

I miss the old ways of doing business when people stood behind their products and USO has proven to me that the old ways still exist. I don't know exactly how the employees have built this reputation but I am very thankful for it. They really do give a shit. I wish I could say that about every company I buy from.

I now own 3 USO scopes. None have (or had) dust. It looks like if they did I could send them back and it would be taken care of in a reasonable amount of time (6 to 8 weeks or less).
I'd be willing to bet some of the people shying away from USO on account of the dust issue don't have the scratch to put down on that level optic. They should stick to Nikon or something in their comfort zone and not worry about the custom made scopes.
Another thing I would point out again is keep your bitching about products to your self or in PM to the vendors. When people are getting poor quality and poor service on a consistent basis it gets around very quickly and without a lot of discussion in an open forum. All the sudden sales dry up and they get the message.

I sent a scope back for repair of the adustable objective.
The scope was made in 2004. Not only did they fix it, the glass
was replaced in the scope because it didn't meet their optical
specs. They told me they really don't know how it slipped out
in 04 and that it wasn't leaving that way again. I realy don't
see how CS could have been better. When I got the scope back
it was much better than when I sent it in.

Some of my brother's experience with Shit in Blender over them
sending him a broken scope to replace his broken scope, and
waiting months for it to be repaired in Germany is on the
opposite spectrum of CS. To find they didn't touch it while
it was over there and sent it back because it was returned
to them through an authorized dealer sealed the deal for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">send it to me I will mount it on my Windrunner for a couple weekends and ship it back. No charge and I guarantee dust will be gone. $70 is a lot for shipping unless you put $10,000 insurance, next day air, with delivery conformation and a blow job </div></div>

I don't know why, maybe it's my childish sense of humor, but your post just made me laugh my ass off. And I needed the laugh, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You make it sound like 3 weeks is eternity! Did you ever think that they were trying to care of the assembly room in the mean time? I suppose everyman has a price; what's yours $70? I am sure John would've waived that if he had known! It's not a one man show and you can't blame an employee for adhering to a company policy. There are always exceptions and USO is not one to dodge their obligations to the consumer! Your "chicken s#$@" statement is rude and uncalled for! And for the record I don't own a USO; maybe someday! Just spoke w/ them on many occasions real nice people trying their best to assist in any way possible. </div></div>
I don't think the OP is being unreasonable. He paid well over $2k for a scope, then had to pay $70 to send it back, and three weeks later when he gets it back there is still dust inside the lens. I wouldn't be happy at all.

I would like to prefice this statement by I dont own a USO scope, so take my "thoughts" for what they are worth.

To spend the money on a scope, of any make and model, and have to wait upwards of months upon months upon months to receive it, when you get it, it had better be fucking right.

I have been reading about issues like these for a long time on this sight. A bud of mine recently took delivery of a USO with less than desirable results. Bummed out is a very nice way to put it.

If I were to spend upwards of $2500 to $3000 on a scope, and be told that debris on the inside is a common issue, I would blow my fucking lid.

I have talked with several people who personally own, or use to own USO, when considering a new scope for my rifle, and the general consenses is "If you get a USO, and there is a problem, they will take good care of you, buy with confidence" That seems to be a common, or the most common experiance with USO, thier customer service. Like I already said, I do not own a USO, but I know all their customer service reps names, as well as Becky who takes the front lines in the customer service issues dept. Is that sad?

If USO wanted to take good care of their customers, they would not be sending out scopes that are as costly, or more, than any other scope on the market, with the frequency that the people on this sight alone complain that "My USO has a problem, ________(fill in the blank issue)_______.

Quality control seems to have suffered, everywhere from crap in the tube, canted or not working reticles or focus knobs, to the packaging they are shipping in, exposed glass, wrapped in bubble wrap. I undestand that some things are out of thier hands, but not out of their control.

I understand completely that shit happens, but when shit happens on a repeating and reaccuring basis, shit isnt happening, shit is being doled out with knowledge of it, or without any QC, hopefully the later. Do a search for USO on the Hide, and most search results are of issues had with them or for sales.

As someone who is really starting to get serious about shooting long range and match competition, after reading about all these issues, I would have a hard time persuading myself to get one based on the headaches that these scopes seem to come entangled with. Sure they will be resolved, but with cost to me and additional time without the scope that one would have already waited a seemingly life time for.

I completely respect USO for their dedication to the customer. Without this, a company does not stand a chance to exist, escpecially if the product is not up to the customers expectations.

The arguments that "custom takes time, and stuff happens, I will accept it", you have far more patience than I do, so good on you. You are a great customer, and companies would love all their customers to be like yourself. However, some people have expectations of, lets be honest, one of the costliest scopes in existance.

My opinion shouldnt really mean dick to anyone, but USO and other companies selling top of the line products to a highly discrimitive group of people, should really take note of what potential purchasers are seeing, and how they are reacting to their products, besides purchasers who are already dissapointed that rolled the dice on wether or not they would get a good one or one with issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd be willing to bet some of the people shying away from USO on account of the dust issue don't have the scratch to put down on that level optic. They should stick to Nikon or something in their comfort zone and not worry about the custom made scopes.
</div></div>

This is a funny thing to say. If you can afford a USO, its OK to receive a scope with issues, and accept the fact that it will be dealt with in a slow fasion, becasue of poor QC, at the users expense, becasue you can afford it? WTF?

This is only my perspective, and after reading the above posts, know that I am not the only one standing on the outside and looking in, and seeing what is less than desirable admissions from folks who are "in the know".

Not to be contrary Nick, but that's a lot of typing for someone with no USO experience.

You hear more about USO on this forum than you will anywhere else, period. One rule of having a product in a marketplace is that you will hear a disproportionate rate of complaints to happy customers. That's just human nature.

I've been active on the hide for six years now, and I really don't agree that the majority of posts about them are people voicing displeasure with their product. If anything its too much the other way.

While an expensive scope, one must consider what you get when you order a USO, a truly "have it your way" custom scope. <span style="font-weight: bold">I'd love to hear what NF would charge you to put a Horus reticle (or one you designed an a bunch of other guys liked) in an NSX. Oh and by the way, you want a 35mm maintube, and just for grins ask them to put the windage knob on the left side.</span>
The OP paying $70 shipping is based on his choice of carrier. When I shipped an SN3 to them it was about $50 to be insured UPS for $2K (my choice). It went in for some custom work. I asked them to let me know when it was done and I'd pay for the modification and shipping back to me. Guess what? I wasn't charged for either-try that elsewhere.

There's a lot of USO's for sale (esp this past year) for the same reason there are lots of S&B's, GAP and other premium custom rifles and other quality high dollar kit. That reason in most cases has nothing to do with the end user's satisfaction with the product and much to do with the fact that this is a hobby to most and making their mortgage payment isn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.................
I don't think the OP is being unreasonable. He paid well over $2k for a scope, then had to pay $70 to send it back, and three weeks later when he gets it back there is still dust inside the lens. I wouldn't be happy at all. </div></div>

Turks reply was not directed to the OP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.................
I don't think the OP is being unreasonable. He paid well over $2k for a scope, then had to pay $70 to send it back, and three weeks later when he gets it back there is still dust inside the lens. I wouldn't be happy at all. </div></div>

Turks reply was not directed to the OP. </div></div>
Thank you for claryfying that! Now lets get on w/ the bashing from people w/ no hands on experience w/ USO's shall we! Just curious what other "custom" manufacturer they would recommend? Please teke note of "custom"! You know the kind that builds to your wants and needs!

There are a heck of alot of very happy owners of USO's out there, including myself.

The three or so people who posted negatively on USO don't own USO's and I would guess they never have. Of those who posted positive remarks, most own one or more USO scopes.

The only thing I have to offer is US Optics customer service is second to none. Please try to call them on the phone before you make your issues public. I would be dissappointed to have to pay the return shipping, but I can not imagine that it would cost that amount. Enjoy your scope as I do mine.

I can tell you a hundred gleeful stories for every one tragedy. In the end, I bet you'll recall every tragedy before remembering one of the former.

I can imagine the frustration, and can appreciate the aggravation it might cause. I'm waiting on my 3rd USO and love them all. On a recent trip to the range, I dropped my ST10 equipped AR10 from a shelf about 4 1/2 - 5 feet high. On the way down, I tried to catch it which ended up just twirling it like a baton even faster toward the ground. It landed directly on the EREK knob and I wanted to vomit... I sat it up on the line to shoot after a brief check to make sure everything was working, and fired.

Rifle still zeroed...

No dust, no tracking problems, no other BS. I did have a slightly canted reticle on one scope, so slight I barely noticed it. Jeff insisted I return it (I was just going to run it) and I had it back in 2 weeks.

As for the wait, whoopdie shit. Where else can I order a scope custom built to how I want it? No one ever said custom was fast. I haven't even thought about my scope being built, couldn't even tell you when I ordered it. It'll get here when it's done. I won't make one phone call asking about it. Do I want it yesterday, of course! If I wanted instant gratification I would've bought something else.

I'm not trying to change anyones mind here. Make your own decisions, just adding my experiences.

No wonder customer service in general sucks. The bar is now set so low that most people will be happy with anything. This issue is simply about customer service. Most of you are touting what great customer service USO has. They are quoted as "the gold standard". First, I bought a BMW because it's the "ultimate driving machine". Guess what, it wasn't defective when I got it and I didn't have to hit it with a phone book. TBass says 99.99% of USO customers are satisfied. How can that be if everyone on here knows you have to hit your USO scope with a phonebook? Are you kidding me? That's like BMW telling me to hit a curb to fix a vibration....Second, if you are going to spend top dollar for anything, it had better be perfect. Not sometimes, not even most of the time, but every time. Again, just the fact that this is a known problem should be enough to put them out of business. Would you buy stock in a company that builds something they charge a fortune for; you know they have problems doing it; and they tell their customers to hit it with a phonebook? Finally, if you want to talk about the finest customer service, let’s talk about Dillon Precision or Crimson Trace. If you have a problem with these companies, you get your items replaced. No cost, no questions, no waiting, and no BS!! I cannot believe the amount of BS you are willing to put up with after shelling out $2k plus. Fine with me but for the rest of us, by lowering your expectations to such a low level only lowers the bar for every other product we pay a premium for.

Cheers.

Only issue I ever had with USO, and I'm getting my first from them right now is when they needed a 3-12 PMII for fitment of an ARD. I sent mine in at my cost, however I volunteered and they were fairly quick with returning it.

Now jump forward, they have been very good with my MST deal. Taking small payments, switching where I was sending it three times now. I hope that it comes out stellar, but if not, I know that people will be there to take care of it. Guess I would rather have people there to take care of an issue IF it happens instead of great CS off the bat and not so much in the aftermath.

As for hitting it, come on if you can have someone on the phone to say that, what else would you want in a scope for the long run?
Chad

I put up w/ a lot a crap when I paid 17K for a BMW K1200R! One recall after another! I am glad you had a great BMW experience; but please don't go there! You have no clue! And may I remind everyone about LL's post about no "bashing" any.....! In your frenzy; you may have overlooked it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to be contrary Nick, but that's a lot of typing for someone with no USO experience.

You hear more about USO on this forum than you will anywhere else, period. One rule of having a product in a marketplace is that you will hear a disproportionate rate of complaints to happy customers. That's just human nature.

I've been active on the hide for six years now, and I really don't agree that the majority of posts about them are people voicing displeasure with their product. If anything its too much the other way.

While an expensive scope, one must consider what you get when you order a USO, a truly "have it your way" custom scope. <span style="font-weight: bold">I'd love to hear what NF would charge you to put a Horus reticle (or one you designed an a bunch of other guys liked) in an NSX. Oh and by the way, you want a 35mm maintube, and just for grins ask them to put the windage knob on the left side.</span>
The OP paying $70 shipping is based on his choice of carrier. When I shipped an SN3 to them it was about $50 to be insured UPS for $2K (my choice). It went in for some custom work. I asked them to let me know when it was done and I'd pay for the modification and shipping back to me. Guess what? I wasn't charged for either-try that elsewhere.

There's a lot of USO's for sale (esp this past year) for the same reason there are lots of S&B's, GAP and other premium custom rifles and other quality high dollar kit. That reason in most cases has nothing to do with the end user's satisfaction with the product and much to do with the fact that this is a hobby to most and making their mortgage payment isn't.

</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take my "thoughts" for what they are worth.

Like I already said, I do not own a USO, but I know all their customer service reps names, as well as Becky who takes the front lines in the customer service issues dept. Is that sad?

My opinion shouldnt really mean dick to anyone</div></div>

I guess I could have said everything I wanted to say with that one statement.

First off-not everyone has specks of dust in their USO's. I'd be curious to see the percentages on that. Everyone knows that banging a USO to alleviate a speck in the FOV because those that have known about USO as a company for longer than three minutes thinks its outstanding that they a)have the balls to admit their gear isn't put together by magical fairies in a land that doesn't exist, and b) that they build them tough enough that that they can tell folks to do that (as opposed to having them sent in and doing it like most manufacturers would-you really think Leupy fully disassemble every scope when they say they "cleaned" them?).
The phone book/mallet/shooting method is highly more cost effective than tearing apart a USO scope to get at one spec of dust or liberated interior coating-because they do not build them to be taken apart easily!!!

Second I'm overjoyed you got a BMW that runs fine. [sarcasm]I'm sure every car off their line is perfect and if I bothered to spend time researching it I'd find that they have never put a product out that wound up having any flaws [/sarcasm]

Really folks, this post is way out of hand.

JFG-if you are that upset I'd recommend picking up the fucking phone like a man and calling JBWIII tomorrow and discussing the issue with your scope with him, instead of whining about it and what you read into their paperwork on the internet.

I can't wait to hit mine off a phone book
smile.gif
. Better yet, any of you guys still remember the USO in the skeet thrower? That'll get the dust off of the lens.
John, can you recommend that one?
Chad

Onepostwonder, try to get ahold of the owner of BMW and let me know how that goes for you! I'll bet he wouldn't have the stones to post on a public forum either!

I think half the trouble is that folks keep getting the instructions wrong.

You don't hit the scope with a phone book.

You hit the phone book with the scope.

The only real reason for the phone book is so you don't dent the table.

Just sayin'
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc