• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO question?

duey1267

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
SE Ohio
I am thinking of getting either a USO ST-17 or ST-22. Dose any body have any experience with either of these scopes? Also dose any body have any recommendations for options for either of these scopes.

I will be using the rifle for shooting out to 1500 yds, (I hope)

Thanks Duey

Re: USO question?

why do you want a fixed high power scope?go with the adjustable. like someone told me here once before, you can always dial out magnification when not needed. i have the sn3 3.8-22x44 and will recommend it to anyone who asks. us optics built me one hell of a scope for my f class tr gun and i will most definetly be getting another one soon.as far as options, that depends on the style of shooting youll be doing and what youll be using. moa or mil?

I would pick up a used variable USO over a new fixed one any day.

I have both variable and fixed USO. I use the fixed for shooting long range matches only. It's set on a gun that doesn't shoot anything else as in the article 051F linked. You said out to 1500, if you're going to shoot shorter distances and mix it up, then I'd get a variable. In my opinion I think you'd be happier.

It's kind of a loaded question. I have an ST-10 and really like it but................ I will end up buying a variable to replace it at some point. It works for what I want it to do "right now" but as things change I will be wanting something more flexable.

If I were to buy another straight power scope it would probably be an ST-17 over the 22. The ST-22 would be "nice" for the bench but the days when mirage is eating you up you'll be pissing & moaning wishing you could just dial back some.

But my own experience, next will be a variable to meet my changing needs but the ST-10 is a keeper even if it just gets pulled off of one rifle and mounted on another.

Look to the future and try to imagine what you may grow or change into as time goes by.

Todd

Thanks everyone for the feedback. To answer some question. 1st I am looking at a fixed power because it will get me a USO scope at a more affordable price, and I wont have to worry about the FFP vs SFP question when ranging with a mill dot reticle. 2nd, the gun will be used mostly at the range not in the field.

If you have any other advice it will be appreciated.

Thanks! Duey

1, all uso's come ffp, so no guessing when ranging or holdovers at any mag. 2, i can understand about trying to make it more affordable, but as many have said on here, "buy once, cry once." if you get fixed power now and decide to change to variable later it will either cost the same as buying the variable the first time or more due to labor cost. just my 2 cents